Mum wants a Kindle

Posted 17th Nov
Anyone have any recommendations? i prefer not to be locked into Amazon bookstore (can kindle read other formats?) so any alternatives to Kindle, but she will probably want to buy some books from Amazon bookstore too. Around £100 but maybe up to £150 if it's good.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Get a kindle. Much better reading experience than iPad etc IMHO.
23 Comments
Another option to consider:

Buy an Android tablet, or an iPad, & use the appropriate device's "Kindle" app.
For digital ink and paper, Kobo and Sony are viable alternatives.
You can send most formats to your kindle e-mail address, they will be converted and delivered to you via internet (your Kindle must be connected to wifi, of course).
I’d go for a kindle and look out for the upcoming Black Friday deals
Decent tablet is best, ebooks can be read on both kindle and tablets but the playstore is less restrictive on an android tablet. As your mum gets used to playing games etc she will progress to downloading and using the full android experience - this is a bit frustrating on a kindle when you see others with games and apps you can't use.
Thanks for the ideas.
She has mentioned an ipad or tablet before, cheapest ipad is about £250 though. Android could be a possibility.
She doesn't really play games, she has a phone and has never wanted to download a game, she gets me to download any apps she wants (she could do it herself I'm sure but doesn't try)
Am leaning towards the £70 kindle as it's cheap and can load other format books on it if you convert them (I thought it was more locked down). Might wait until black friday for a deal.
Edited by: "Zek" 17th Nov
Zek17/11/2019 16:57

Thanks for the ideas. She has mentioned an ipad or tablet before, …Thanks for the ideas. She has mentioned an ipad or tablet before, cheapest ipad is about £250 though. Android could be a possibility. She doesn't really play games, she has a phone and has never wanted to download a game, she gets me to download any apps she wants (she could do it herself I'm sure but doesn't try) Am leaning towards the £70 kindle as it's cheap and can load other format books on it if you convert them (I thought it was more locked down). Might wait until black friday for a deal.

Wait for Black Friday/Prime day. My mum loves her kindle, isn’t tech savvy and reads all of the time. I prefer iPad but i’m not the kindle demographic.
Franklank17/11/2019 17:40

I have to agree. While it seems to be a good idea to pay a similar price for a fully functioning Android device, I do believe Kindles and other e-readers have a very specific job that they do very well.

As for buying into the whole 'Amazon' eco system, it's not as binding as you would have thought. As you mentioned, at most you need to convert it into a Kindle acceptable format, but there's plenty of free apps to do that.

I think you're doing the right thing waiting for BF/Prime day, but apart from that I would wholeheartedly recommend a Kindle.
Kindles are effectively locked to the Amazon store. The few places publishing DRM-free ebooks can be converted to run on a kindle but, but every other store and eReader uses the ePub format with the Adobe DRM system, which the kindles don't support. That's the kindle-branded eReaders, the kindle tablets can have other apps loaded on them.

Kobo would be the main alternative brand of eReaders sold in the UK but there are some European brands like Pocketbook and Bookeen that can be bought easily online.

Tablets use the same sort of screen as phones and computers, eReaders use a special type of screen that behaves like paper. Specifically it doesn't emit light so like paper it's easier to read the more well lit it is, instead of a tablet screen which has to fight against the surrounding brightness and gets washed out if it's not bright enough.

Plus they're much more energy efficient than a tablet, you change them every few weeks of heavy use, rather than every day.

The main disadvantage of eReaders - other than not being all singing, all dancing, video playing devices - is that the screens don't tolerate bending as well as the LCDs in tablets so they're not as rugged for being knocked about in a bag.
Kindle have a monopoly really , best to go for Kindle
I got my daughter the kindle last week with the £50 off £100 spend at very.
DRM on ePub files is about as secure as a prostitutes underwear, converting ePub to MOBI is also easy, you can even use Amazons own software KindleGen (created for self publishing on Amazon), it also creates their other formats which are essentially MOBI's with a different file extension.

Personally I don't mind using a screen device, on android all you need is Moon Reader, Kindle is great though for reading outside
Edited by: "4Real2016" 17th Nov
Do NOT get a tabler for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people suggesting it, they should know better. A tablet is awful compared to a proper ereader, very uncomfortable in comparison and much more eye strain.

Kobo is decent and calibre should load to any.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 18th Nov
dcx_badass17/11/2019 22:57

Do NOT get a table for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people …Do NOT get a table for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people suggesting it, they should know better. A tablet is awful compared to a proper ereader, very uncomfortable in comparison and much more eye strain.Kobo is decent and calibre should load to any.

My wife prefers the iPad to the Kindle - each to their own

Do NOT get a table for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people …Do NOT get a table for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people suggesting it, they should know better. A tablet is awful compared to a proper ereader, very uncomfortable in comparison and much more eye strain.Kobo is decent and calibre should load to any.

What's wrong with using a table for reading? It doesn't get arm-ache when holding a book.
fanpages17/11/2019 23:20

What's wrong with using a table for reading? It doesn't get arm-ache when …What's wrong with using a table for reading? It doesn't get arm-ache when holding a book.

Mainly the screen emitting it's own light adds to eye strain a lot sooner (blue light etc especially at night) vs an ereader where the light lands on it instead, even back-lit e-readers use a single colour light that won't cause eye strain. It's just a much better experience and significantly closer to a book than a tablet is (with the weight and form factor advantages of a tablet, often even lighter). I've got a Kobo and a nook and wouldn't ever use my kindle fire or other tablets to read on.
dcx_badass17/11/2019 23:28

Mainly the screen emitting it's own light adds to eye strain a lot sooner …Mainly the screen emitting it's own light adds to eye strain a lot sooner (blue light etc especially at night) vs an ereader where the light lands on it instead, even back-lit e-readers use a single colour light that won't cause eye strain. It's just a much better experience and significantly closer to a book than a tablet is (with the weight and form factor advantages of a tablet, often even lighter). I've got a Kobo and a nook and wouldn't ever use my kindle fire or other tablets to read on.

I don't use a tablet or e-reader. I prefer, and purchase actual books. As I said before, each to their own.
Edited by: "tregs" 17th Nov

fanpages17/11/2019 23:20

What's wrong with using a table for reading? It doesn't get arm-ache when …What's wrong with using a table for reading? It doesn't get arm-ache when holding a book.

dcx_badass17/11/2019 23:28

Mainly the screen emitting it's own light adds to eye strain a lot sooner …Mainly the screen emitting it's own light adds to eye strain a lot sooner (blue light etc especially at night) vs an ereader where the light lands on it instead, even back-lit e-readers use a single colour light that won't cause eye strain. It's just a much better experience and significantly closer to a book than a tablet is (with the weight and form factor advantages of a tablet, often even lighter). I've got a Kobo and a nook and wouldn't ever use my kindle fire or other tablets to read on.

I am familiar with tables having screens to play "Space Invaders" in the late 1970s/early 1980s, but I presume you didn't mean a table in your original reply.

39016007-EW07A.jpg

tregs17/11/2019 23:31

I don't use a tablet or e-reader. I prefer, and purchase actual books. As …I don't use a tablet or e-reader. I prefer, and purchase actual books. As I said before, each to their own.

Although people still buy books for me as gifts they just still on my shelves unopened/unread. It has been almost 30 years since I last read a book!

The only text I ever read is on a computer monitor or mobile telephone screen.

I have a tablet (again, bought for me as a gift) but I don't use it.

Do NOT get a tabler for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people …Do NOT get a tabler for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people suggesting it, they should know better. A tablet is awful compared to a proper ereader, very uncomfortable in comparison and much more eye strain.Kobo is decent and calibre should load to any.

This is an individual thing, some people are more sensitive than others, personally I don't find it to be a problem using a tablet, I don't disagree with your point though when it comes to comparing the two.
Edited by: "4Real2016" 18th Nov

Do NOT get a tabler for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people …Do NOT get a tabler for reading, I'm surprised by some of the people suggesting it, they should know better. A tablet is awful compared to a proper ereader, very uncomfortable in comparison and much more eye strain.Kobo is decent and calibre should load to any.

Most good quality tablets and phones have an 'eye comfort' setting that reduces the Blue light and helps with eye strain. Obviously if your are a serious reader then a dedicated E-reader is better, but for those who only read occasionally a tablet is a better option as you don't have to carry two electronic devices around (as well as your phone - though I read on my phone too).
Ringfinger18/11/2019 10:34

Most good quality tablets and phones have an 'eye comfort' setting that …Most good quality tablets and phones have an 'eye comfort' setting that reduces the Blue light and helps with eye strain. Obviously if your are a serious reader then a dedicated E-reader is better, but for those who only read occasionally a tablet is a better option as you don't have to carry two electronic devices around (as well as your phone - though I read on my phone too).

Personally, I use a Paperwhite for reading books, but a tablet for magazines and graphic novels.

As for epub with DRM, I thought Kobo's policy was that you owned the book, so you could do what you wanted with it, but Amazon licence the book to you.
I guess it depends on how many books you have, what if you have 40GB+ of books on an sd card, lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions