Expired

Mum Withholding my passport at 17? legal?

Found 16th May
Hi. Does anyone know if it's legal that my mum is not giving me my passport. She would let me borrow it but not let me keep it. Im 17, nearly 18 in a couple months. I have a disability if that makes any difference.

I've read some where that its illegal as its the crowns property but i'm not too sure. Also is it legal if she wants to charge me for having the passport?

TThanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If it’s a really big deal for you, you can apply for an adults passport (from16yrs) at a cost of £85.
It is not illegal for your mum to withhold giving you the passport and there’s no legislation regarding charging you for having a passport.
By the way, before the age of 16, passports are only valid for 5 years, so if you got it when you were 10 it would have expired by now anyway.
Are you planning a trip to Syria or something
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 16th May
You trying to get off to ibiza with Perry again lad?
41 Comments
Why do you need it? In theory you are a minor so she is responsible for you. She lets you borrow it. I have a teenager with a disability. I wouldn't trust mine to keep his passport safe. They cost a fortune for starters.
Yeah I read that too, mums eh? They don't understand.
If it’s a really big deal for you, you can apply for an adults passport (from16yrs) at a cost of £85.
It is not illegal for your mum to withhold giving you the passport and there’s no legislation regarding charging you for having a passport.
By the way, before the age of 16, passports are only valid for 5 years, so if you got it when you were 10 it would have expired by now anyway.
Are you planning a trip to Syria or something
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 16th May
Your a minor till your 18 and actually arguably until you finish your education (up to 19), your mum can look after it for you till then as she is your legal guardian. If you need ID just get a provisional driving licence, it fits in your wallet or purse so less likely to lose it.
psychobitchfromhell27 m ago

Why do you need it? In theory you are a minor so she is responsible for …Why do you need it? In theory you are a minor so she is responsible for you. She lets you borrow it. I have a teenager with a disability. I wouldn't trust mine to keep his passport safe. They cost a fortune for starters.

Easier now to take it then at 18, also to open a bank account.
If it is crown property then shouldn't the queen hold them all? Would the op have any more right to hold it than the mother?
Toptrumpet25 m ago

If it’s a really big deal for you, you can apply for an adults passport ( …If it’s a really big deal for you, you can apply for an adults passport (from16yrs) at a cost of £85.It is not illegal for your mum to withhold giving you the passport and there’s no legislation regarding charging you for having a passport.By the way, before the age of 16, passports are only valid for 5 years, so if you got it when you were 10 it would have expired by now anyway.Are you planning a trip to Syria or something

I would do that, but the other one would have to be cancelled. And I cant be asked to get sworn at.
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

If it is crown property then shouldn't the queen hold them all? Would the …If it is crown property then shouldn't the queen hold them all? Would the op have any more right to hold it than the mother?

I’m just stating what I read.
Coldstonee6 m ago

Easier now to take it then at 18, also to open a bank account.

You can open a bank account without a passport and if she will let you borrow it, you can show it them and give it back. Why do you need to take it?
psychobitchfromhell2 m ago

You can open a bank account without a passport and if she will let you …You can open a bank account without a passport and if she will let you borrow it, you can show it them and give it back. Why do you need to take it?

Yep & all the proof I have is older than 3 months. That’s why, and it depends on her mood if she’ll give it.
Your still a Teen! Does as your mother says!
You trying to get off to ibiza with Perry again lad?
Coldstonee15 m ago

Yep & all the proof I have is older than 3 months. That’s why, and it d …Yep & all the proof I have is older than 3 months. That’s why, and it depends on her mood if she’ll give it.

Is there more to this than you are letting on? You're 17. I'm assuming you aren't planning on going on holiday by yourself or taking out a mortgage. What do you need it for?
psychobitchfromhell8 m ago

Is there more to this than you are letting on? You're 17. I'm assuming you …Is there more to this than you are letting on? You're 17. I'm assuming you aren't planning on going on holiday by yourself or taking out a mortgage. What do you need it for?

What can’t I have it? Lol I wanna open a bank account, and I just want it or for it to be cancelled. But then again if it’s cancelled, she’ll still have it in her possession.
sounds like you have more issues here than your mum keeping your passport.

is she concerned that you will lose it and so doesn't trust you with it? also, what do you mean she is charging you for having it? i trust you don't mean you have to pay daily rent for keeping hold of your passport?
Coldstonee10 m ago

What can’t I have it? Lol I wanna open a bank account, and I just want it o …What can’t I have it? Lol I wanna open a bank account, and I just want it or for it to be cancelled. But then again if it’s cancelled, she’ll still have it in her possession.

The passport belongs to the government. They own the passport. You are a minor and I'm assuming you live with your mother. She is responsible for you and if she deems that she looks after your passport, then she looks after your passport. Is she stopping you opening an accout? If so, why. You say you are disabled, is it because you get PIP and it is paid into her account and you want it in yours?
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

The passport belongs to the government. They own the passport. You are a …The passport belongs to the government. They own the passport. You are a minor and I'm assuming you live with your mother. She is responsible for you and if she deems that she looks after your passport, then she looks after your passport. Is she stopping you opening an accout? If so, why. You say you are disabled, is it because you get PIP and it is paid into her account and you want it in yours?

But what about when I’m 18. Would she still be ‘ responsible’ for it. It’s much easier trying to get it now then when I’m 18
mutley113 m ago

sounds like you have more issues here than your mum keeping your passport. …sounds like you have more issues here than your mum keeping your passport. is she concerned that you will lose it and so doesn't trust you with it? also, what do you mean she is charging you for having it? i trust you don't mean you have to pay daily rent for keeping hold of your passport?

Nope, if I want my passport she’ll probably charge me for it. Anyway thanks, just going to get it cancelled.
Thanks everyone for your replies, just going to get it cancelled.
I get the feeling this is about much more than a passport.
Based on the sad story of a good friend and her wayward son;

When you are 18, you are an adult and fully responsible for anything you want to do. You can have your passport. You can have your own credit card and bank account so you use the passport. You can even go to big boys jail, adult hospital wards etc.

Depending on the situation, the council may want extra Council Tax since you will become an adult and so Mum can also throw you out without the SS or police telling her to take you back.

Looking forward, things take forever. Looking back, they were a blink of an eye. Honest.
Coldstonee21 m ago

Thanks everyone for your replies, just going to get it cancelled.

i think you have to have grounds for cancelling it such as it was stolen or holder has died. Not sure my mum won't give it me and I'm 17 is one of those reasons.
psychobitchfromhell16th May

i think you have to have grounds for cancelling it such as it was stolen …i think you have to have grounds for cancelling it such as it was stolen or holder has died. Not sure my mum won't give it me and I'm 17 is one of those reasons.

Cool. Thanks for your input? Regardless I will get it cancelled. Don’t know why you’re so affected. I can apply for a new passport at 16 as it’s not in my possession. Or cancel it. Worst case I’ll get it cancelled in a few months
Coldstonee33 m ago

Cool. Thanks for your input? Regardless I will get it cancelled. Don’t k …Cool. Thanks for your input? Regardless I will get it cancelled. Don’t know why you’re so affected. I can apply for a new passport at 16 as it’s not in my possession. Or cancel it. Worst case I’ll get it cancelled in a few months

You asked a question, I answered it. If you don't like what I say, that doesn't make me wrong. You want to be truly responsible when you are 17? It isn't that much fun, believe me.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 55 m ago

You asked a question, I answered it. If you don't like what I say, that …You asked a question, I answered it. If you don't like what I say, that doesn't make me wrong. You want to be truly responsible when you are 17? It isn't that much fun, believe me.

Just a passport. How much responsibility do you think ensues?
your mum sounds like a nut , who charges their kids to use their passports, the responses made me lol as well. Ignore the hotukMumsnet crew.

I would guess this is about benefits and your mother doesn't want you to have a passport bank account due to that. Phone social services, you are old enough to live alone. Failing that and just renew as lost under first adult passport. Also your mother isn't legally responsible for it now and shouldn't be keeping it from you.

Edited by: "catbeans" 17th May
Wow, immature and childish, sounds exactly like our almost 17 year old.

As mentioned earlier passports are expensive and pain to replace it lost or cancelled and all at a cost. Maybe she is looking after it as you can't be trusted or responsible enough, regardless of what you yourself believe.

Also typical childish comment, want to be treated as a grown up when it suits but in same breathe state well I will just get it cancelled then. For starters, you wanted it to open a bank account, now if you cancel passport how will you now open one then have you thought afterwards how you will pay fee for a new passport because you still haven't got a bank account

And our child didn't need passport to open bank account, under 18 so can use letter from College and birth certificate.

And being disabled isn't a label to be used that would deem you automatic rights above everything.
In other European countries where having an ID card is mandatory soon after birth it’s perfectly normal for teenagers to carry their own ID.

Independently of your reasons, I think it’s perfectly normal and acceptable for you to want to have in your possession your own passport. Namely with it being an “Adult Passport” (one would think the distinction has been made for a reason. If a person aged 16 or older can obtain an Adult Passport without parental consent, it makes sense that they should be able to keep it in their possession).

I would recommend you call the Passport Adviceline
Telephone: 0300 222 0000 and ask them what your rights are in this situation and how they advise you to proceed.
Coldstonee6 h, 36 m ago

Nope, if I want my passport she’ll probably charge me for it. Anyway t …Nope, if I want my passport she’ll probably charge me for it. Anyway thanks, just going to get it cancelled.

She paid for it so why shouldn't she charge you? Just pay her, problem solved. Easier and probably cheaper than cancelling and buying a new one. You appear to need a bit of growing up.
Murgatr0yd3 h, 44 m ago

Just a passport. How much responsibility do you think ensues?

Doesn't ensue any. Might entail quite a bit though. For starters how do you pay for a new passport if you don't have a bank account? Op seems to feel it necessary to have one to open the other. Mother sounds a bit loopy but I think we are only getting one side of the story here.
You are 17, you are still a child.

You seem so concerned about legality...

"I've read some where that its illegal as its the crowns property but i'm not too sure. Also is it legal if she wants to charge me for having the passport?"

Yet someone mentions you can cancel it on grounds that it was stolen OR lost (it is neither).

Nothing like a bit of selective logic.

I think the path you need is emancipation.

I fully back the mum, she obviously has concerns about you, rightfully so as you have demonstrated ITT. Perhaps you don't watch the news about kids disappearing, groomed in the web, syria etc

My 18yr does not have a passport, yet he has a bank account.
charleaward817 h, 50 m ago

Wow, immature and childish, sounds exactly like our almost 17 year old.As …Wow, immature and childish, sounds exactly like our almost 17 year old.As mentioned earlier passports are expensive and pain to replace it lost or cancelled and all at a cost. Maybe she is looking after it as you can't be trusted or responsible enough, regardless of what you yourself believe.Also typical childish comment, want to be treated as a grown up when it suits but in same breathe state well I will just get it cancelled then. For starters, you wanted it to open a bank account, now if you cancel passport how will you now open one then have you thought afterwards how you will pay fee for a new passport because you still haven't got a bank accountAnd our child didn't need passport to open bank account, under 18 so can use letter from College and birth certificate.And being disabled isn't a label to be used that would deem you automatic rights above everything.

Where have I used my disability to think i have more rights above everything?
Coldstonee19 m ago

Where have I used my disability to think i have more rights above …Where have I used my disability to think i have more rights above everything?

Why even mention it then. It has no bearing in this.

I am over twice your age and have never had an adult passport, yet I have a bank account, business and own my own home.

So tell us THE REAL REASON why you want your passport, as your reason stinks of BS. Still siding with your mum until you come clean laddo.

There is more to this than you are telling us.
Christ, so many assumptions in this thread, and an inherent condescending tone, just because the OP is under 18. Give him/her a little slack.
For anyone making assumptions that having a disability is not of relevance to the situation.

From the Gov.uk website:
“Stop someone getting a passport
You might be able to stop a child or vulnerable person getting a passport.

You may want to do this if:

you think your child may be abducted and taken overseas by their other parent (or someone who has parental responsibility)
a relative is vulnerable (eg has a mental disability) and you don’t think it would be safe for them to have a passport.”

It is not clear what kind of disability affects the OP, which is why I didn’t post this before, as I don’t know whether it’s applicable to their situation.

Anyway, the OP is free to disclose or not whatever they want. This is a public, open forum, so honestly I would not disclose too much information if I were them.
Thanks everyone for your replies. Right so I’ve called the passport helpline, which advised me to contact CAB as they can’t give advice on this matter.

Citizens advice told me to wait till I’m 18, and ask for it. As they’ve stated it’s illegal to withhold someone’s passport & it’s the crowns property. And if I don’t get it. I can report it lost or stolen & inform the police that someone else has my passport.
Can you expand on why it's easier to get it now that when you are 18? I'm not sure why that would be the case.
dcx_badass24 m ago

Can you expand on why it's easier to get it now that when you are 18? I'm …Can you expand on why it's easier to get it now that when you are 18? I'm not sure why that would be the case.

Why wait when I can do it ble
33815705-Eyczq.jpg
You will always be her little boy, it does not matter how old you get
Don't jump on the kids back. Anyone who's ever had a parent who is a control freak or a bully will know what I mean. I have a sister and mother who still try and bully and lie about me after 20 years of no contact.

Have you thought about getting a copy of your birth certificate, you can do this online, you can use this as I.D.?

Do you have another relative or family friend who can talk to her?

Do you get disability benefits, do you need the account so the money can be paid to you when your 18 and not her?

What ever happens, good luck. 😁
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions