Mural behind perspex instead of tiles

Found 15th Aug 2017
So I'm thinking of doing up my bathroom, I have a giant mural in the bedroom already but thinking about doing a sunny beach scene in the bathroom and putting perspex in front to stop it getting wet.

Anyone with any knowledge know if that would work ok? Just wondering if I can make the perspex waterproof enough (edges). It's possible moisture can get in from the steam, so I would probably need to seal all around it.

Anyone see any potential issues with doing this weird idea for a bathroom wall?I would probably need at least two large pieces of perspex so will probably have a line down the middle...that wont look so good.
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
You could use a tough acrylic paint like Liquitex, which was designed for murals. If you prepare the wall well, you can wash it down as required. I don't know of any way to seal perspex on top, but you wouldn't need it, with good paint and prep.
You would be better off sticking some reverse printed film to glass and mounting onto the wall. I'm not sure if plastic would be OK due to fire regs.
Why not just use varnish?
hairycanary12 h, 17 m ago

Have you considered... …Have you considered... http://www.mysplashbacks.co.uk/Digitally-Printed-Splashbacks ?

Thanks, but they are way too small.
clear varnish? Perspex will trap condensation and would probably cause mould too...
Splodger10152 m ago

clear varnish? Perspex will trap condensation and would probably cause …clear varnish? Perspex will trap condensation and would probably cause mould too...

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about Perspex, but wasn't quite sure - how long does varnish last for though, the stuff I've seen used outdoors seems to dry and crack after a while, but is that due to sunlight exposure?

aninginaneana14 h, 23 m ago

You could use a tough acrylic paint like Liquitex, which was designed for …You could use a tough acrylic paint like Liquitex, which was designed for murals. If you prepare the wall well, you can wash it down as required. I don't know of any way to seal perspex on top, but you wouldn't need it, with good paint and prep.

Not sure about that - it goes translucent when wet so might not look so good, I would want it to be clear all the time.
Just doing a bit more research - there are lots of alternatives to tiles: wetwall.com/pro…ic/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions