Music cuts off on Android phone

Posted 13th May
I have a Redmi 8 and I've noticed that music cuts off (after about 1 hour I think). I've tried three different music apps with the same results. I can't see anything on the phone to suggest that it thinks it's sleep time. Any pointers appreciated.
I'm using wired head phones.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
Have you disabled battery optimisation on the Music apps? MIUI has pretty aggressive battery management it will close down background apps if battery optimisation is not disabled.

A music player not running as the foreground app will get closed down.
It's likely that it's being 'killed' by the OS to conserve power. There's a few things to try:
Go to the apps settings( not in the app, in the phone settings menu) and check its power saving options to choose one that isn't power saving.

Pin the app in memory; from the recent apps screen, it's possible to 'pin' an app which helps keep it in memory all the time. I haven't got a Xiaomi atm, but usually it's done by either holding the app in the recents screen or dragging it to the Pin icon.
Edited by: "pirate1" 13th May
Uridium13/05/2020 17:53

Have you disabled battery optimisation on the Music apps? MIUI has pretty …Have you disabled battery optimisation on the Music apps? MIUI has pretty aggressive battery management it will close down background apps if battery optimisation is not disabled.A music player not running as the foreground app will get closed down.

pirate113/05/2020 17:55

It's likely that it's being 'killed' by the OS to conserve power. There's …It's likely that it's being 'killed' by the OS to conserve power. There's a few things to try:Go to the apps settings( not in the app, in the phone settings menu) and check its power saving options to choose one that isn't power saving.Pin the app in memory; from the recent apps screen, it's possible to 'pin' an app which helps keep it in memory all the time. I haven't got a Xiaomi atm, but usually it's done by either holding the app in the recents screen or dragging it to the Pin icon.

I will try these options later. Thanks for you help.

I've not noticed a "pin icon" yet, but will search for it.
Predikuesi13/05/2020 18:32

I will try these options later. Thanks for you help.I've not noticed a …I will try these options later. Thanks for you help.I've not noticed a "pin icon" yet, but will search for it.

The pin is done when you're in Recent Apps where you can switch to recent apps quickly. This screenshot is of a Huawei, the lock icon is showing the app is locked, on my phone if I drag the app down it locks. It may be different in Xiaomi but it definitely has the option
40737662-JwRNM.jpg
pirate113/05/2020 18:36

The pin is done when you're in Recent Apps where you can switch to recent …The pin is done when you're in Recent Apps where you can switch to recent apps quickly. This screenshot is of a Huawei, the lock icon is showing the app is locked, on my phone if I drag the app down it locks. It may be different in Xiaomi but it definitely has the option [Image]

Thanks for that. With my Xiaomi it is a long press and a padlock appears. It does lock as suggested.
Predikuesi13/05/2020 20:15

Thanks for that. With my Xiaomi it is a long press and a padlock appears. …Thanks for that. With my Xiaomi it is a long press and a padlock appears. It does lock as suggested.

That should help, the 'pin' survives a reboot so you should be able to forget about it.
As for the power saving settings, annoyingly, Xiaomi ( and Huawei ) like to be over zealous with their battery saving and despite most of their phones having a good amount of RAM, they like to shut apps down that are in the background ( even if they happen to be running ). There should be a setting in the main settings for Apps which will list all of the apps and you can manage them individually. There should be an option for battery saving ( or similar ) in there
40738818-TYBvu.jpg
pirate113/05/2020 20:24

That should help, the 'pin' survives a reboot so you should be able to …That should help, the 'pin' survives a reboot so you should be able to forget about it.As for the power saving settings, annoyingly, Xiaomi ( and Huawei ) like to be over zealous with their battery saving and despite most of their phones having a good amount of RAM, they like to shut apps down that are in the background ( even if they happen to be running ). There should be a setting in the main settings for Apps which will list all of the apps and you can manage them individually. There should be an option for battery saving ( or similar ) in there [Image]

Yes. I switched the "recommended" setting to "no restrictions" for VLC. The built-in music app doesn't offer this, but no matter as VLC works best for me.
Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 13th May
Uridium13/05/2020 17:53

Have you disabled battery optimisation on the Music apps? MIUI has pretty …Have you disabled battery optimisation on the Music apps? MIUI has pretty aggressive battery management it will close down background apps if battery optimisation is not disabled.A music player not running as the foreground app will get closed down.

i have the t5 tablet and that shuts down when the battery is at 20% level! it asks if i want to turn on battery saving when it gets down to something like 28% and i always say no, then the blooming thing shuts down even before it runs out of power.
You'd think with their aggressive approach to battery management, their battery will last for ages. Not the Mi Mix 3 5g, you'll lose 10-20 % overnight, or after 100% coming off the charger, you'll lose 10% an hour, just on standby, and that's with battery saving on.
madoka_ayukawa14/05/2020 01:05

You'd think with their aggressive approach to battery management, their …You'd think with their aggressive approach to battery management, their battery will last for ages. Not the Mi Mix 3 5g, you'll lose 10-20 % overnight, or after 100% coming off the charger, you'll lose 10% an hour, just on standby, and that's with battery saving on.

That sounds like a 5G radio trying to find a signal in a weak 5G area....
Uridium14/05/2020 02:25

That sounds like a 5G radio trying to find a signal in a weak 5G area....

I've not set it to 5g, LTE only
madoka_ayukawa14/05/2020 02:33

I've not set it to 5g, LTE only

Something definitely not right then. I'd go for a full reset then install your apps one by one and see which is causing the drain. Sound a pain I know but done this myself in the past to find the culprit....
Uridium14/05/2020 02:35

Something definitely not right then. I'd go for a full reset then install …Something definitely not right then. I'd go for a full reset then install your apps one by one and see which is causing the drain. Sound a pain I know but done this myself in the past to find the culprit....

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh knew I shouldn't have bought a Xiaomi.
madoka_ayukawa14/05/2020 02:41

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh knew I shouldn't have bought a Xiaomi.

You could try and find the app using hte battery stats on the phone, I just like a clean start every so often.

To be fair it's probably an App casuing the issue, not the phone.
madoka_ayukawa14/05/2020 01:05

You'd think with their aggressive approach to battery management, their …You'd think with their aggressive approach to battery management, their battery will last for ages. Not the Mi Mix 3 5g, you'll lose 10-20 % overnight, or after 100% coming off the charger, you'll lose 10% an hour, just on standby, and that's with battery saving on.

i think the reason they are so agressive with battery management is because the battery is so poor, so i would expect the battery to be worse. i have the ipad air first generation and the battery on that is about the same as the battery life on my new huawei t5 tablet. yet the ipad air is years and years old and the huawei tablet is only a few months old.

battery life should have improved during those many years, when i bought the ipad air, so for the new huawei tablet to have the same battery life as my ipad air shows that it has a very inferior battery. that is why it is a cheap tablet.
mutley114/05/2020 11:41

i think the reason they are so agressive with battery management is …i think the reason they are so agressive with battery management is because the battery is so poor, so i would expect the battery to be worse. i have the ipad air first generation and the battery on that is about the same as the battery life on my new huawei t5 tablet. yet the ipad air is years and years old and the huawei tablet is only a few months old.battery life should have improved during those many years, when i bought the ipad air, so for the new huawei tablet to have the same battery life as my ipad air shows that it has a very inferior battery. that is why it is a cheap tablet.

I disagree - I think traditionally the Chinese makes used to be aggresive on power was to maximise times between charges, irrespective of how good the battery is. In fact, most of the Huawei devices I've used have had fantastic battery life compared to other brands. The battery in your iPad is more likely to be a lot larger than in your T5.

From what I can rmemember, a lot of the power saving technologies, such as aggresive killing of apps is now applied in the core Android experience, so something similar would exist on a Pixel device, for example.
alg14/05/2020 11:57

I disagree - I think traditionally the Chinese makes used to be aggresive …I disagree - I think traditionally the Chinese makes used to be aggresive on power was to maximise times between charges, irrespective of how good the battery is. In fact, most of the Huawei devices I've used have had fantastic battery life compared to other brands. The battery in your iPad is more likely to be a lot larger than in your T5.From what I can rmemember, a lot of the power saving technologies, such as aggresive killing of apps is now applied in the core Android experience, so something similar would exist on a Pixel device, for example.

whether the battery is bigger on the ipad or not, still means that the ipad has a better battery life and the ipad air first generation is a smaller tablet than the t5. it is also 6 years old. i think the huawei tablet is very good value for money but you know it is an inferior tablet to the more expensive ipad.

i find the battery life on it inferior to the ipad air when the ipad was new and the headphone volume on the huawei is poor.

i have the samsung phones and they never stop the music app playing when the battery power is low. it continues until the phone runs out of power and shuts down as i don't have power management on. therefore i have never experienced the OP's issue.
mutley114/05/2020 12:20

whether the battery is bigger on the ipad or not, still means that the …whether the battery is bigger on the ipad or not, still means that the ipad has a better battery life and the ipad air first generation is a smaller tablet than the t5. it is also 6 years old. i think the huawei tablet is very good value for money but you know it is an inferior tablet to the more expensive ipad.i find the battery life on it inferior to the ipad air when the ipad was new and the headphone volume on the huawei is poor.i have the samsung phones and they never stop the music app playing when the battery power is low. it continues until the phone runs out of power and shuts down as i don't have power management on. therefore i have never experienced the OP's issue.

So the iPad is smaller, has a bigger battery, and cost significantly more than the T5 - you would expect similar or better battery life. On the other hand, if anything, on most devices it's the screen that kills the battery more than anything. Plus the way Apple and Android handles multitasking is done a different way.

The volume level on the tablet may or may not be an issue. Try changing your locale to outside the EU, and the voume level might be better.

And as far as music on Android devices is concerned, I've never experienced it either - I use an app called Omnia on my Xiaomi handset, but have had Huawei and Xiaomi android phones for the past several years, and never had an issue with the devices killing the music. the only app that specifically won't be killed is the Mi Fit app, which needs to be kept alive for doing notifications to my wrsitband.
Edited by: "alg" 14th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions