Music magpie advice

Posted 30th Nov
Hi Guys,

need some advice. bought a used Samsung s10 5g from eBay which i didn't like so sold it to musicmagpie as they were offering more for it. Music magpie have just emailed me saying that the phone was reported stolen and they will not return the phone.

Any advice on how to proceed?
Community Updates
Misc
6 Comments
provide evidence that you were not the thief?
and contact eBay Safety Centre on the fact that you discovered a stolen item through MusicMagpie whom you will ask for a Crime Reference number etc.. with which you will approach the Police etc.

Addendum,
If below comment is realised, then the Police may have their sight on fraud, the guy claimed insurance and sold on eBay could be arrested by the Police.
Edited by: "splender" 30th Nov
Usual thing for eBay. Sell the phone then claim off insurance that it was stolen = double pay day.
cmdr_elito30/11/2019 14:34

Usual thing for eBay. Sell the phone then claim off insurance that it was …Usual thing for eBay. Sell the phone then claim off insurance that it was stolen = double pay day.

I don't know any better, so I am just querying: one offs , may be, as eBay fraud monitoring tools would pick this up. Of course, one can disguise by have many identities with payment cards and addresses, though there is a limit. And, a limit as to how many crime references that one can take from the Police.
splender30/11/2019 14:44

I don't know any better, so I am just querying: one offs , may be, as …I don't know any better, so I am just querying: one offs , may be, as eBay fraud monitoring tools would pick this up. Of course, one can disguise by have many identities with payment cards and addresses, though there is a limit. And, a limit as to how many crime references that one can take from the Police.

Hacked accounts as well selling duff gear list sell run
Upon my recommendation, my sister bought an S10 from MM a few months ago during an eBay 10% off voucher promotion for £450. Phone was in excellent condition and a decent price for that time.

Fast forward to a week ago and she starts having SIM card issues. The phone is still under Samsung warranty so she raises it with them and they send out a tech who determines that the phone has been blacklisted by Three.

Anyway, she called MM several times but no answer so raised it with PayPal who have just refunded her.

So much for MM's rigorous pre-owned phone checks.
HappyShopper30/11/2019 17:59

Upon my recommendation, my sister bought an S10 from MM a few months ago …Upon my recommendation, my sister bought an S10 from MM a few months ago during an eBay 10% off voucher promotion for £450. Phone was in excellent condition and a decent price for that time.Fast forward to a week ago and she starts having SIM card issues. The phone is still under Samsung warranty so she raises it with them and they send out a tech who determines that the phone has been blacklisted by Three. Anyway, she called MM several times but no answer so raised it with PayPal who have just refunded her.So much for MM's rigorous pre-owned phone checks.

The issue is, all retailers, sellers and buyers can get burnt. A theft/blacklist check is only valid at the point it is run.
I had an iPhone 4 from CeX for 10 months, then it suddenly got blocked. They thankfully resolved it and gave me a replacement. Their own second checks showed it as blocked when they did a checkmend report. They also had a record of it being checked when they bought it in.
The culprits are the scum who commit the original fraud, typically buy selling a known stolen device or deliberately taking a contract and not paying. I avoid all new upgrade, no longer required secondhand listings. Will only buy a used phone if a receipt from say Apple or John Lewis exists.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants