Groups

Music site Spotify.co.uk

Hi
    Wondered if anyone uses this site. If i understand it right you can listen to music for free but cant download it.
    You can make playlists and then listen to them on any of your computers.
    The free version has advertising but you can pay and upgrade to get rid of that.
    Does anyone use it. Thinking of letting my son use it. Does it have the chart stuff or is it older stuff. Also do the adverts get really annoying.
    Thanks in advance.
    Also if anyone knows any sites that are better would appreciate knowing them.

29 Comments

i use it and it's worth putting up with the odd advert. So far i've found most songs that i've searched for, both recent and "oldies"

Highly recommended - latest stuff and quite a back catalogue from my searches. Like QueenLush says, its worth putting up with the odd advert.

Original Poster

Great thanks I wanted to know before I download the installation stuff as my computer is slightly full up.

We'll give it a go....kids can put up with aderts for free.

the ads are approx every 20 mins and not on for long

I use it all the time now - the best part is it's completely legal

great program, ads are fine so long as they don't increase the amount of them.

Original Poster

Every 20 mins doesnt sound bad..no worse than the tv.
    Appreciate all your answers.

Spotify is great, I use it and the program itself is small and installed on my computer in about 10 seconds

Absolutly brilliant, and the bestthing is you can share playlists. Spotilist.com or something like that.
    I just cant wait till they add some new features, some community stuff, artist specific radio (kind of like Pandora if anyone used that) and some additional homepage features. it could really be a beast!

Banned

Great site!!!

could you put your music to your mp3 player?

It's just ok, I can't find half the stuff I listen to there's not really a recommend an artist section. The streaming is great but I just feel like it's radio one without the annoying DJ's.
    Last.fm is still my choice, I like listening to bands, artists and moosik makers that haven't even got a record contract, maybe that stems from how I used Napster, AudioGalaxy and soulseek or more than likely the influence John Peel had on my music habits.

open.spotify.com/use…ao3 check out bohemian rhapsody.........speechless. :shock:

Artonox;5058342

could you put your music to your mp3 player?

No unfortunately

queenlush;5059120

No unfortunately

Yeah you can get programs that rip music from spotify.

Basically its just a recorder.

vengod;5059145

Yeah you can get programs that rip music from spotify.Basically its just … Yeah you can get programs that rip music from spotify.Basically its just a recorder.

Which is a shame since what Spotify offers is excellent until people decide they don't want to pay for the privilege of listening to the music on other devices.

It's free on the computer but you have to pay in order to transfer the tracks to an MP3 player. It's not rocket science. Pay for the music if you want it via other means and stop being a tightwad :thumbsup:

I do like Spotify but love Last.fm - found many a good band on there who I've grown to love!

vengod;5059145

Yeah you can get programs that rip music from spotify.Basically its just … Yeah you can get programs that rip music from spotify.Basically its just a recorder.

applian.com/rep…ic/

But isn't that illegal? Or is there no law against recording it?

Xb0xGuru;5059216

Which is a shame since what Spotify offers is excellent until people … Which is a shame since what Spotify offers is excellent until people decide they don't want to pay for the privilege of listening to the music on other devices.It's free on the computer but you have to pay in order to transfer the tracks to an MP3 player. It's not rocket science. Pay for the music if you want it via other means and stop being a tightwad :thumbsup:

I sometimes just let spotify play even when I'm not listening, that way they're getting an income from adverts still.

queenlush;5059120

No unfortunately

i see, since looking at their concept video resembles similar to "torrent" sites of downloading from each other.

Artonox;5059384

i see, since looking at their concept video resembles similar to … i see, since looking at their concept video resembles similar to "torrent" sites of downloading from each other.

Who's downloading from each other? I don't think that's how spotify works?

Artonox;5059384

i see, since looking at their concept video resembles similar to … i see, since looking at their concept video resembles similar to "torrent" sites of downloading from each other.

spotify.com/en/…eo/

Just watched this - tell me where it shows peer-to-peer connections?

From help section

Why does Spotify use so many internet connections?
    Spotify uses a peer-to-peer network along with streaming servers to stream music. This is why you see multiple connections to other Spotify users. Though to be fair BBC's iplayer works along the same lines

blackbart;5059922

From help sectionWhy does Spotify use so many internet connections? … From help sectionWhy does Spotify use so many internet connections? Spotify uses a peer-to-peer network along with streaming servers to stream music. This is why you see multiple connections to other Spotify users. Though to be fair BBC's iplayer works along the same lines

ty for clearing that up.
    I said it is similar to one in terms of layout. Looking at it again, there isn't any obvious evidence to back what im saying, so i guess the little bars next to the play times ive mistaken for peer coverage over "popularity"

Artonox;5060178

ty for clearing that up.I said it is similar to one in terms of layout. … ty for clearing that up.I said it is similar to one in terms of layout. Looking at it again, there isn't any obvious evidence to back what im saying, so i guess the little bars next to the play times ive mistaken for peer coverage over "popularity"

Looking at it, the content is centralised on servers but once you start to listen to a track, you upload a small amount of it too.

I too am glad this is cleared up :-D

Xb0xGuru;5060214

Looking at it, the content is centralised on servers but once you start … Looking at it, the content is centralised on servers but once you start to listen to a track, you upload a small amount of it too.I too am glad this is cleared up :-D

lol i bet im "gladder" - thought i was gonna get lynched for saying something false

Benjimoron;5059300

http://applian.com/replay-music/But isn't that illegal? Or is there no … http://applian.com/replay-music/But isn't that illegal? Or is there no law against recording it?

Seems to be no more illegal than recording the radio, oh hang on, isn't that illegal now! :thinking:

Still, thanks for the link to Replay Music, I'm trying it now.

Original Poster

looking at that replay site....it is all very convincing that it is legal.

My gut feeling is that it must be illegal but reading the blurb they seem to suggest that if you are only recording for your own use it is legal. I find that difficult to believe.

Goofey's Girl;5060825

looking at that replay site....it is all very convincing that it is … looking at that replay site....it is all very convincing that it is legal.My gut feeling is that it must be illegal but reading the blurb they seem to suggest that if you are only recording for your own use it is legal. I find that difficult to believe.

I'm sure it must be illegal, same way that p2p sites are illegal. I think technically they are mearly allowing you to do something you could do with windows anyway but it's the way that it's geared towards something that is illegal.

ie filesharing web-sites don't do anything illegal but they're geared towards people swapping copyrighted material.

applian.com/leg…php

Although reading that it would appear to be legal. Can't believe you can just save the music for free!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What to do?????58
      2. Photobook for up to 400 photos?34
      3. MacBook22
      4. Buy back on Euros to £££23

See more discussions