Expired

My 11 year old labrador keeps falling down

Found 22nd Mar 2013
My 11 year old labrador keeps falling down about twice a day when he is out walking with me.

He suffers from arthritis but I don't know if this is what is causing him to fall or whether he has developed something else? It seems to have got worse during this week.
Community Updates
16 Comments
Only the experts could provide an appropriate diagnosis. So take the Labrador to the Vets.

There is also Vetfone, similar to NHS Direct but they charge £1.50 a minute!

rspca.org.uk/uti…Pet

Although if you cannot afford the vet bills, search for your closest RSPCA, PDSA and Blue Cross centres which provide help and assistance for people on state welfare. They might also provide free or cheaper advice than Vetfone.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 22nd Mar 2013
Take him to the vet as soon as possible.
nemesiz

Only the experts could provide an appropriate diagnosis. So take the … Only the experts could provide an appropriate diagnosis. So take the Labrador to the Vets.

vets aren't always expert as you would think. our vet prescribed rimadyl last week for our dog when we brought him in because his hind legs are becoming weak and when we asked about possible side effects like liver problem etc of this medication, he said there were none at all. yet when i googled this on the internet, there are stories of people stating serious side effects of this drug in some dogs as well as petitions to warn about the possible fatal effects of this drug.

it is best to do your own research and ask for people's experience before going to the vet. no harm in gathering as much background information as possible.

vets aren't always expert as you would think. our vet prescribed rimadyl … vets aren't always expert as you would think. our vet prescribed rimadyl last week for our dog when we brought him in because his hind legs are becoming weak and when we asked about possible side effects like liver problem etc of this medication, he said there were none at all. yet when i googled this on the internet, there are stories of people stating serious side effects of this drug in some dogs as well as petitions to warn about the possible fatal effects of this drug.

Yes I know the varying care and treatment from Vetinary Surgeons, from three different practises linked to the same company. One was sympathetic, polite and courteous and provided outstanding information about the treatments available and side effects from the drugs for kidney failure, but at the weekend the cat was transported to another location and the various nurses, and the two surgeons was absolutely appaling failing to give water, the correct drugs, food and then being dismissive, rude, and providing no assistance or advice.

Unfortunately you do have to see the vets, or at least get advice from the experts as misdiagnosis can be dangerous, or cause further pain and suffering. Also with the weekend like the NHS and Doctors, getting an appointment or finding a centre open could prove difficult, so act as soon as possible .

stating serious side effects of this drug

All drugs have a chance of having a side effects, but what other choice do you have if their ailments, or condition is serious? Sadly as I found animal medicine is upto 20 years behind treatment for humans, with little or no facilities to treat certain illnesses. Yes I was utterly desperate to find appropriate treatment for my animal, but in the end to no avail, even trying every viable route and advise on the internet. Unfortunatey there is limited amount of drugs, or treatment for animals.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 22nd Mar 2013
Arthritis is usually worse in the cold and joints often flair up, Sometimes very painful.

Hope every goes ok at the vets.
nemesiz

Yes I know the varying care and treatment from Vetinary Surgeons, from … Yes I know the varying care and treatment from Vetinary Surgeons, from three different practises linked to the same company. One was sympathetic, polite and courteous and provided outstanding information about the treatments available and side effects from the drugs for kidney failure, but at the weekend the cat was transported to another location and the various nurses, and the two surgeons was absolutely appaling failing to give water, the correct drugs, food and then being dismissive, rude, and providing no assistance or advice.Unfortunately you do have to see the vets, or at least get advice from the experts as misdiagnosis can be dangerous, or cause further pain and suffering. Also with the weekend like the NHS and Doctors, getting an appointment or finding a centre open could prove difficult, so act as soon as possible

i don't have much faith in our vet as we had asked him before if my dog needs a large stye on his eye removed and he said no but then a few months later it became an emergency and he needed an operation to get it removed.
marzi145

Take him to the vet as soon as possible.

he's aready been to the vets last week and was prescribed rimadyl but that hasn't done anything.
Perhaps find a new vet to go to?

Do your neighbours use the same practice or do they go elsewhere?

See if there are reviews on yell.com or somewhere.

So hard to watch them when they are unwell in any, way.
I agree about finding a new vet - if you don't think your pet has had the best treatment then go elsewhere.
I hope your dog is ok.
Its always a good idea to read the drug information contained with medicines.
I cant speak specifically for your dog but drugs DO have side effects.

It is possible that the falling could be associated with the drugs.

You should be able to tell whether your dog is collapsing in pain or whether it may be something else.
mutley1

i don't have much faith in our vet as we had asked him before if my dog … i don't have much faith in our vet as we had asked him before if my dog needs a large stye on his eye removed and he said no but then a few months later it became an emergency and he needed an operation to get it removed.

Should you not be thinking about changing your vet then if you are not happy?

If its been getting worse over the last few days take him back or to another for 2nd opinion. I wouldn't leave my dog to suffer.

My 7.5 year old black lab hurt her leg when she was 11 months,she was running and back leg fell down a hole. Took her to vet who said it could be her hips and gave her medicine. Still not good after two days so took her to another one and she had torn her ligaments around her knee.

I would rather make sure my dog was ok than leave it or take her to a vet that I didn't think was helping the problem.
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 22nd Mar 2013
I took my dog into the vets because he kept bumping into door frames as he was walking through. Vet said he was old and had no quality of life and should be put down. I disagreed. He asked me to get a urine sample and bring it in the next day. I did this and saw a different Vet. He did the test and could not find anything. When he looked into my dogs eyes he noticed a classic sign of a stroke. Gave me some medication and my dog made a good recovery and lived for another 18 months. Personally I think the other Vet should have been put down as he had no quality of diagnosis. I never went back to that practice so I don't know if he is still working there, I hope not for other pet owners sake.
If you have no confidence in the vet you go to then take him to a different one (with all his meds), You may well get the same diagnosis, but an 11yr old lab going off his legs is not something you can leave. You're not having the best of times mutley, how's your mum?
booky

If you have no confidence in the vet you go to then take him to a … If you have no confidence in the vet you go to then take him to a different one (with all his meds), You may well get the same diagnosis, but an 11yr old lab going off his legs is not something you can leave. You're not having the best of times mutley, how's your mum?

no you're right. everything is going wrong at the moment for people and dog falling sick.
my mother had emergency surgery on wednesday morning as the medical opinion was that without the surgery she would die. thankfully she is recovering and seems to have come out of the worst danger.

i had a nightmare with the insurer refusing to pay for the surgery until the last hour and then the hospital demanding i make an international transfer of £8k at 3am when all the banks were closed as the insurer won't pay until they have gone through her medical records from her gp. they eventually coughed up at the 11th hour as i threatened that if my mother dies because they are dragging their feet, i will be bringing a law suite against them.
Hope both your mum and lab are improving.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants