My 4 Yr old is going into hospital this week to remove his tonsils

40 replies
Found 15th Jun 2009
Can anyone tell me is this something children recover from quickly, how is he likely to be ? I know the worst thing will be putting him to sleep and the fuss he will make over it.

40 Comments

oh sweetie.

Good luck with this, you'll be the worried one, your lil un will be fine x x

The staff there are great with kiddies, get him some stories about the hospital so he knows what to expect x x

Banned

my friends little boy went in a couple of months ago, he was 6, had his tonils and adenoids out, he was jumping round the ward asking for ice cream shortly afterwards, nobody can predict how your child will react but will say most children get over it very quickly

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5496253

oh sweetie.Good luck with this, you'll be the worried one, your lil un … oh sweetie.Good luck with this, you'll be the worried one, your lil un will be fine x xThe staff there are great with kiddies, get him some stories about the hospital so he knows what to expect x x

Thanks hun, he is looking forward to the new car he will be getting, hopefully this will help take his mind off things, will hand it over when we arrive.

Original Poster

sassie;5496262

my friends little boy went in a couple of months ago, he was 6, had his … my friends little boy went in a couple of months ago, he was 6, had his tonils and adenoids out, he was jumping round the ward asking for ice cream shortly afterwards, nobody can predict how your child will react but will say most children get over it very quickly

ah thats good, hopefully back to play sch Monday then lol

Banned

flowers172;5496276

ah thats good, hopefully back to play sch Monday then lol

i dont know about that he had to have two weeks off school due to the risk of infection

flowers172;5496269

Thanks hun, he is looking forward to the new car he will be getting, … Thanks hun, he is looking forward to the new car he will be getting, hopefully this will help take his mind off things, will hand it over when we arrive.

I think the worst thing about any op for kiddies is when they have to put a line in, in their hand or whereever, as the child sees the needle and goes ARGGGHH. Have something ready to distract and comfort him like a fav teddy bear or cuddle cloth if he still has one x x

The new toy sounds a good idea, blackmail, bribery and corruption... always works with kids lol

Original Poster

sassie;5496282

i dont know about that he had to have two weeks off school due to the … i dont know about that he had to have two weeks off school due to the risk of infection

oh right, will be prepared to have him home then for a while, least he can play in the garden

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;5496316

I think the worst thing about any op for kiddies is when they have to put … I think the worst thing about any op for kiddies is when they have to put a line in, in their hand or whereever, as the child sees the needle and goes ARGGGHH. Have something ready to distract and comfort him like a fav teddy bear or cuddle cloth if he still has one x xThe new toy sounds a good idea, blackmail, bribery and corruption... always works with kids lol

yeah he will have his ted, he has been put asleep before just before he turned 2 had to have the mask over his face, maybe now he's older he might do it that way but i doubt it, its awful pinning him down, I let dad take him and went to him for when he woke, too upsetting for me to watch.

hope the little mite makes a fast recovery :thumbsup:

Banned

jeeze i always dread any of my two ever needing to be put out, daughter is now 15 but still would dread it and probably be in a right state, hope the little guy isnt to knocked about from it xxx

flowers172;5496344

yeah he will have his ted, he has been put asleep before just before he … yeah he will have his ted, he has been put asleep before just before he turned 2 had to have the mask over his face, maybe now he's older he might do it that way but i doubt it, its awful pinning him down, I let dad take him and went to him for when he woke, too upsetting for me to watch.

my son had a lil op to remove an elastic band he'd pushed so deep into his ear it was causing problems inside his head when he was about that age. They gave him some kind of med into the needle line that literally just wiped him clean out, his legs buckled and he was gone to sleep instantly. Ask the surgeon/consultant exactly what they will be using and how they will be doing it. They should explain it all to you before asking you to sign to say you give your permission for them to do it.

Original Poster

we have an appointment before he goes in, hopefully we can discuss the options then, kids just don't understand do they, personally I quite like the feeling.

Try not to worry too much.I used to work on the childrens ward and it is the most common operation!The nurses will keep a close eye on him after the operation.From personal experience dont let him have anything fizzy or salty after the op.I found the pain just like a sore throat you get from having a cold etc.

Original Poster

gemmyw;5496506

Try not to worry too much.I used to work on the childrens ward and it is … Try not to worry too much.I used to work on the childrens ward and it is the most common operation!The nurses will keep a close eye on him after the operation.From personal experience dont let him have anything fizzy or salty after the op.I found the pain just like a sore throat you get from having a cold etc.

thanks for the advice

Banned

I had mine out when I was little was fun they made a game of staying awake or was that my mum? See how many seconds I could count before I conked out. Was less than 10. You then get to eat lots of ice cream when you wake up, it's brill! Was out in a day I think, was 20 odd years ago though.

I don't think I understood at the time so it didn't bother me, I would squirm like hell now I know what goes in the operating theatre

Original Poster

lumoruk;5496857

I had mine out when I was little was fun they made a game of staying … I had mine out when I was little was fun they made a game of staying awake or was that my mum? See how many seconds I could count before I conked out. Was less than 10. You then get to eat lots of ice cream when you wake up, it's brill! Was out in a day I think, was 20 odd years ago though.I don't think I understood at the time so it didn't bother me, I would squirm like hell now I know what goes in the operating theatre

hope they still prescribe the ice cream he will like that

I was about 7 when I had mine out,can't really remember being uncomfortable afterwards,it was done on the morning then the kids were able to go home the next day,I had to stay in longer,an extra dayt,and as it was weekend approaching the ward was empty as no new admissions.

Icecream and soft foods and soup for afterwards.

Any parent would be worried about their child going in hospital but I'm sure your son be fine and he benefit in long run as inflamed tonsils is not nice,I was always ill with it.

my daughter got hers out when she was 3 (about 2 years ago) and she was fine. Worst bit was coming out of the anaestetic (sp?!) when she felt a bit sick). Also no ice cream, they say that attracts infection for some reason...the thing now after u get your tonsils out is to chew loads, preferably chewing gum but obv not at that age so loads chewy sweets...im sure he'll enjoy that !

lumoruk;5496857

I had mine out when I was little was fun they made a game of staying … I had mine out when I was little was fun they made a game of staying awake or was that my mum? See how many seconds I could count before I conked out. Was less than 10. You then get to eat lots of ice cream when you wake up, it's brill! Was out in a day I think, was 20 odd years ago though.I don't think I understood at the time so it didn't bother me, I would squirm like hell now I know what goes in the operating theatre

ditto ( except I had mine out nearly 40 years ago :oops: )

Banned

bitseylango;5497012

ditto ( except I had mine out nearly 40 years ago :oops: )

hahaha, sorry I'll be an old man too one day

Original Poster

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5496999

I was about 7 when I had mine out,can't really remember being … I was about 7 when I had mine out,can't really remember being uncomfortable afterwards,it was done on the morning then the kids were able to go home the next day,I had to stay in longer,an extra dayt,and as it was weekend approaching the ward was empty as no new admissions.Icecream and soft foods and soup for afterwards.Any parent would be worried about their child going in hospital but I'm sure your son be fine and he benefit in long run as inflamed tonsils is not nice,I was always ill with it.

yes will will definately all benefit, I seem to keep getting sore throats and my 23 mth old catches it to but obviously too young to have the procedure, but with his brother having them out will hopefully cure us all.

I had mine out around your kids age as well and although it was scary at the hospital, it was great having time off school and loads of ice cream. :thumbsup:

Make sure you mention that to your kid and have something to distract him/her before the injection and they'll be so happy at the end of it.

I know this is a worrying experience for any parent, especially if it's a first time op but honestly, you have nothing to worry about. :-D

Banned

I had a girl in class ask me once if I wanted to snog her hot friend I said yeah sure, she then said she had tonsillitis, no problems I said I had mine out when I was little. They shut up and I didn't get a snog :-(

Sloth/Mod

Try not to worry...........kids bounce back very quickly. It's very common and routine. My eldest was in Addenbrookes recently and was very ill. He was soon back bouncing around and driving them mad. :lol:

Wow.. the memories have come flooding back from when my now 25 year old had his out when he was 4.. all the worries and stuff. As it turned out he didn't want to leave hospital, he made friends with a nurse and spent all his time ignoring us and playing "Guess who" with the nurse.

The worst bit for me was after it was all over and we were back home as he no longer snored.. you don't realise just how reassuring it is to hear them snore.. we had to keep going into his room to make sure he was still breathing. .. ;-)

aww yup i had this at 6ish just felt like a really bad throat and a kinda metal taste but iiiiiiiiiiiiiiceeeeeeeeee creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam lol

Original Poster

Thanks for all your comments, I'm sure he will be getting his own way all weekend and getting away with anything he fancies to eat,he is now, and he's not even had it done yet.

My 7 year old had it done last year. It was ok, she recovered quite quick. She was 6 at the time and she understood what was happenning. I must admit she was in a lot of pain at first but she had lots of calpol/nurofen for kids. She had to stay in for the night (I stayed with her).

The drs and anaethetists will be great and put your child at ease. Worse part of an anaestetic is seeing your child fall to sleep, but my daughter had it 3 times now so I am used to it. First time was awful as they used gas which wasnt nice, much better to have a cannula in their hand and then they put the anaestetic in their hand rather than the gas.

Your son will be fine, good luck

flowers172;5497604

Thanks for all your comments, I'm sure he will be getting his own way all … Thanks for all your comments, I'm sure he will be getting his own way all weekend and getting away with anything he fancies to eat,he is now, and he's not even had it done yet.

Sorry just a warning, he will need the full 2 weeks to recover. My daughter seemed to be getting better when she had hers and we thought she was ok, but she wasnt. Just make sure he rests up for the full time. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

bargainhunter2009;5498205

Sorry just a warning, he will need the full 2 weeks to recover. My … Sorry just a warning, he will need the full 2 weeks to recover. My daughter seemed to be getting better when she had hers and we thought she was ok, but she wasnt. Just make sure he rests up for the full time. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your comments, he previously had gas for something else as he wouldn't have it any other way, hopefully now he's a bit older he might not have it that way but I doubt it, he will be scared, will have to get him some new DVD's to watch to keep him resting.

flowers172;5498974

Thanks for your comments, he previously had gas for something else as he … Thanks for your comments, he previously had gas for something else as he wouldn't have it any other way, hopefully now he's a bit older he might not have it that way but I doubt it, he will be scared, will have to get him some new DVD's to watch to keep him resting.

All the staff are lovely and will make him feel at ease. If he has already had gas, then might not be so bad. Think they prefer not to do that now though. There are some good books you can get about going into hospital etc as well. Just make sure he rests for the whole 2 weeks though as I said in my other post. Plenty of fluids, hospital will prob give you the medicines you need (pain killers and antibiotics). Good luck. Maybe tell him he will get a new toy if hes a brave little boy, I did that with my daughter. Also, make sure he doesnt come into contact with other kids/people for some time after the operation as well (risk of infection)

When my cousin had his tonsils out we were all telling him he could eat loads of ice cream afterwards, but the hospital wouldnt give him any, they gave him toast not long after he woke up. They said its common practice now because it makes it heal quicker, rather than healing a bit and then having to get used to hard foods again and it hurting again. Also means they can see how he is eating proper foods before he goes home

Original Poster

I am under the impression he isn't staying in,will find out more beforehand on Wednesday, he already knows he's getting a new toy car, was letting him have it the morning of the op to take his mind off it.

kelly_o_fanatic;5499315

When my cousin had his tonsils out we were all telling him he could eat … When my cousin had his tonsils out we were all telling him he could eat loads of ice cream afterwards, but the hospital wouldnt give him any, they gave him toast not long after he woke up. They said its common practice now because it makes it heal quicker, rather than healing a bit and then having to get used to hard foods again and it hurting again. Also means they can see how he is eating proper foods before he goes home

yes they said same to my daughter. They want you to eat hard foods to get rid of the gunk in your throat

flowers172;5499605

I am under the impression he isn't staying in,will find out more … I am under the impression he isn't staying in,will find out more beforehand on Wednesday, he already knows he's getting a new toy car, was letting him have it the morning of the op to take his mind off it.

R u sure? All the kids who had theirs done at same time as my daughters stayed in. I think with a child they will want you to stay, just to be sure no bleeding, infection etc

bargainhunter2009;5502048

R u sure? All the kids who had theirs done at same time as my daughters … R u sure? All the kids who had theirs done at same time as my daughters stayed in. I think with a child they will want you to stay, just to be sure no bleeding, infection etc

Sometimes it depends on what time they go down to theatre, because they like to have them back on the ward for X amount of hours, and if they go down late then they might as well just keep them in over night

kelly_o_fanatic;5503668

Sometimes it depends on what time they go down to theatre, because they … Sometimes it depends on what time they go down to theatre, because they like to have them back on the ward for X amount of hours, and if they go down late then they might as well just keep them in over night

my daughter had hers first thing in morning, they still kept her in. They said its the normal thing to keep them in.

Original Poster

letter says admission as a day case, then further down says bring nightwear, soap and a towel, but perhaps this is just incase he doesn't come home.

My son had grommits fitted last year and went into theatre, they put numbing cream on the back of his hand first before they put the line in which they did when he went into the prep room before theatre.
They then injected him in his line to put him under, he did really well but then when it come to waking up he cried as soon as he saw us in recovery bless him, they let me lay on the bed and go back to ward on the bed with him, he was soon running round within about 10 mins of being in the ward and was outside playing football lol...he has autism so recovered better than i expected with him not coping well in different situations.

Hope the op goes well, my niece had tonsils out when she was 16/17 and she had crisps as the first thing to eat when she come round and wanted food, she was a day case as well.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. PayPal Friends and Family Payment reversal options66
    2. Has the amount of Apple fanboys increased on the site after the redesign?33
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person33
    4. MacBook44

See more discussions