My batteries have just exploded in my mouse................

Found 28th Nov 2007
I was just browsing hot deals and then i felt a thud and large bang and it was from the batteries in my mouse. Has anyone had this happen. I have switched off the computer and left the room (on my daughters computer now) and i can hear a hissing sound if i go near it. Anyone had this happen before. I daren't take them out in case they explode more. (oh will do it);-)

30 Comments

Woah! Just goes to show how hot those deals were!

Original Poster

kelly_o_fanatic

Woah! Just goes to show how hot those deals were!

:giggle: I can laugh now but at the time it jolted my finger. I s**t myself and ran.:)

its not as bad as accidentally throwing a pack of four duracel on a fire!!!

Just disconnect it from the computer, and leave it for a while.

If you've used the same batteries in "Mummy's helper";-) , bin them sharpish.
That'd be one hell of an explanation down at A&E.

I guess its a wireless mouse seeing as its battery powered - so explain how she 'pulls the cord'? :giggle:

Original Poster

thesaint

Just disconnect it from the computer, and leave it for a while.If you've … Just disconnect it from the computer, and leave it for a while.If you've used the same batteries in "Mummy's helper";-) , bin them sharpish.That'd be one hell of an explanation down at A&E.

No these are only aa (the ones for mummys helper are 6 x size D:giggle: ).

Seriously, could it blow again. I can hear it hissing now.

I assume the hissing is acid. Probably not great for the desk...

Original Poster

MBeeching

I assume the hissing is acid. Probably not great for the desk...

They are still inside the mouse. I have disconnected the computer but the batteries are still inside the mouse bit. They should cool down shouldn't they.:?

t0mm

I guess its a wireless mouse seeing as its battery powered - so explain … I guess its a wireless mouse seeing as its battery powered - so explain how she 'pulls the cord'? :giggle:

I know little about 'mice'.

Why has she switched off the computer then, if it isn't attached what difference does it make? :thinking:

Original Poster

thesaint

I know little about 'mice'.Why has she switched off the computer then, if … I know little about 'mice'.Why has she switched off the computer then, if it isn't attached what difference does it make? :thinking:

Because although the mouse if not attached to the computer the charger thing is and when the mouse is facing it (as it does and is) then its using power just to pick up the infa red signal so there is a method to this madness:whistling:

Any idea what type of battery is it? All can be pretty nasty when the internals are exposed but some are worse than others, either way you you REALLY do not want to risk gettiing any of that stuff on you. Depending on the type of battery the effect could range from minor skin irritation to burning your skin or worse and most will release toxic fumes of some variety if exploded.........

marshallka

then its using power just to pick up the infa red signal so there is a … then its using power just to pick up the infa red signal so there is a method to this madness:whistling:

Seriously if you are that worried about it happening more chuck the mouse in a bucket and take it outside then put the bucket upside down over the mouse just in case it goes pop again!

Are they a known brand? if so i'd photograph any damage and put a serious complaint to the company, maybe alert TS too as this may not be a one off and you may have got off lightly in comparison to the potential damage/injury! Post here too what brand and let others know the potential danger.

Cant be as good a bang as when id managed to short my phone charger cable, the capacitor blowing at 2am really worried me and literally blew the charger to bits!

Original Poster

harlzter

Seriously if you are that worried about it happening more chuck the mouse … Seriously if you are that worried about it happening more chuck the mouse in a bucket and take it outside then put the bucket upside down over the mouse just in case it goes pop again! Are they a known brand? if so i'd photograph any damage and put a serious complaint to the company, maybe alert TS too as this may not be a one off and you may have got off lightly in comparison to the potential damage/injury! Post here too what brand and let others know the potential danger.Cant be as good a bang as when id managed to short my phone charger cable, the capacitor blowing at 2am really worried me and literally blew the charger to bits!

They are duracell bought from toys r us or b and q. I have only ever bought them from either of those two. I have found this though. Take a look

batterystation.co.uk/fak…htm

I have now removed them ( or should i say my hubby has) and we have kept them and are sending them off to duracell. I am just glad that it wasn't in a kids toy.

Mine were in a large box on special offer though.

Thats dated 2004, so i wouldnt worry.

Might just be a faulty batch.

make them get u a new mouse.

Original Poster

t0mm

Thats dated 2004, so i wouldnt worry. Might just be a faulty batch.

I didn't read the date but there are lots of threads about them exploding and recent too. I shall follow it up.

I am not alone here

computeractive.co.uk/art…695

Also if your gonna send them back to duracell, tell them you want compensation to buy a new mouse.

Original Poster

t0mm

Also if your gonna send them back to duracell, tell them you want … Also if your gonna send them back to duracell, tell them you want compensation to buy a new mouse.

yes, and trauma and stress and acid leaking over my desk too. Shall i call claims direct;-) (just kidding):whistling: :giggle:

Im thinking of getting a wireless mouse. How long does the battery last and how oftern do u use the mouse?

Original Poster

manzi

Im thinking of getting a wireless mouse. How long does the battery last … Im thinking of getting a wireless mouse. How long does the battery last and how oftern do u use the mouse?

Well we only changed the battery yesterday if thats anything to go by and i don't recommend them. They have now been changed about 3 times in 3 months. I use it everyday from 7.30 am until about 10pm

As poster above says put the mouse in a container or bucket (something without a lid) where it wont harm you or anyone else.

Next take photos (once fizzling stops) of all damage to your mouse desk etc.

Then get on the phone to Proctor & Gamble (who own Duracell) in the morning and explain what has happened. They should (and I repeat should) take exploding batteries very seriously.

Consumer Product Enquiries
Tel : 0800 085 0367 (UK)
Tel : 1800 509 301 (Ireland)
Fax : +00 44 (0)191 297 6295 (UK & Ireland)

Try and hunt out your receipt or credit/debit card bill to be sure exactly where you bought them from. You could go back to the store you purchased them from (assuming you have your receipt).

If you havent got your receipt Duracell is your only hope.

Let us know how you get on

marshallka

Well we only changed the battery yesterday if thats anything to go by and … Well we only changed the battery yesterday if thats anything to go by and i don't recommend them. They have now been changed about 3 times in 3 months. I use it everyday from 7.30 am until about 10pm

So you only has to put 1 alkaline (non rechargeable) battery every month when you used it for 8 hours a day?

Original Poster

manzi

So you only has to put 1 alkaline (non rechargeable) battery every month … So you only has to put 1 alkaline (non rechargeable) battery every month when you used it for 8 hours a day?

Two batteries and duracell plus ones at that. When the battery is running low the mouse drags and won't move and then freezes. I wouldn't have another one i don't think.:)

marshallka

Well we only changed the battery yesterday if thats anything to go by and … Well we only changed the battery yesterday if thats anything to go by and i don't recommend them. They have now been changed about 3 times in 3 months. I use it everyday from 7.30 am until about 10pm

Do you find that your bladder gets very full after that time? :?

I would suggest hitting them for compensation of the damage to the mouse and any leakage stains (plus battery cost of course).

Wouldn't try for anything else, as an exploding battery is hardly out of the ordinary (it happens more than you would think) and unless you had the actual battery in your hands/mouth/eyes/back passage, it wouldn't actually do much harm to your person (considering you would wash away the leakage contents before grabbing any kind of sandwich).

Original Poster

cheapskate58

Do you find that your bladder gets very full after that time? :?

We are talking about the mouse here aren't we.:giggle:

Just thought, you may also have to prove that the batteries didn't short, depending on the mood of said agents taking the call (IE: Faulty Mouse contacts or incorrectly inserted).

So don't be surprised if they ask for all said items to be sent for checking.

Original Poster

Browni

Just thought, you may also have to prove that the batteries didn't short, … Just thought, you may also have to prove that the batteries didn't short, depending on the mood of said agents taking the call (IE: Faulty Mouse contacts or incorrectly inserted).So don't be surprised if they ask for all said items to be sent for checking.

I don't think i will really do "anything" about it. I have changed the mouse back to old wired type and i don't think the other is broke (haven't tested it yet) so luckily nothing drastic happened.:) Just really surprised me and wanted to know if it had happened to anyone else.

Original Poster

Just rang the freephone number on my box of batteries and they are going to send me a voucher for the batteries and also a jiffy bag to send the battery back to them in for testing. At least no batteries to buy for christmas.:thumbsup: He said it must of been very traumatic (his words, not mine) of course i agreed. I was in the middle of checking out a "hot deal".:)
Post a comment
@
    Text