Expired

My brothers ASUS PC 900 Notebook displays this error message - REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY

15 replies
Found 13th Jul 2009
What can i do?
Can it be fixed , if so how much?

Thankss , rep for anyone who can help.

( Im asking because i broke it! He's on holiday and gets back thursday

15 Comments

i got something like tht on my acer laptop a few weeks ago after trying to restore it, can you access the bios? if so is the HD listed? if not then the HD is most likely broken, did the notebook come with a recovery disk for the operating system?

the SSD or HD is faulty/loose

Original Poster

Nope, no opperating system and Im not sure it's round my dads house as he lives there and i live with my mum. What can i do??

try changing boot priorities in bios

u could phone asus they will tell you what to do, it may not be the HD i had a similar problem i got the message BOOTMGR is unavailable, i phoned acer n they told me what to do :thumbsup: the notebook may have a hidden partition which would allow you to restore the operating system, you will need to phone asus to find out how to do it though andyou would loose all your files etc

stiffnuts;5738346

try changing boot priorities in bios

wont do a thing if theres nothing else to boot from

Original Poster

Cheers for the help.. I shall phone asus in a minute. Will it charge me off my mobile?

micoo;5738353

wont do a thing if theres nothing else to boot from

not true if the boot priorities have become corupt. However your an obvious expert and I wont offer any more advice.

Arsene=Arsenal;5738395

Cheers for the help.. I shall phone asus in a minute. Will it charge me … Cheers for the help.. I shall phone asus in a minute. Will it charge me off my mobile?

probably use a landline if u can :thumbsup: id check with ur bro b4 u did a restore if u can since all the files will be deleted lol

Original Poster

Ok, cant find the uk phone number and yeah ill have to give him a ring and make up some bull**** pretend my mum did it ;-)

Original Poster

If i hand it in to my local computer shop how much would they charge me do you think?

Take the usb pen out...

If you take it to a computer shop, you'll be charged at least £50. Should be fixable though, if there's no external devices connected, check the boot priorities in the BIOS - Make sure your main HDD is the first in the list. Also make sure no CDs in the drive.

Put your Windows CD in and go to the recovery console, run CHKDSK /r and if that fails, try FIXBOOT and FIXMBR.

If that fails, repair Windows.

tapping F9 when it is starting up i think is how to access the hidden recovery partition on the HD nt sure though, could be F8 they are the most common, i hvnt used an asus laptop before so im not 100% sure but if the HDD is listed in the bios the HD should be OK so this type of restore should work

im with the idea of taking out the usb pen / sd card / cd out :P

Iv just had a look in my Asus manual for the netbook we have got & there is no UK phone numbers in there, to access the hidden partion if there is one will be F9.

If that wount let you reinstall the OS back working, you could post your problem on the asus tech forums
vip.asus.com/for…-us

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226666
  2. Which wall design do you like best?45
  3. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35119
  4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247678

See more discussions