My builder is installing wool based cavity wall insulation is it any good?

Found 10th Jan
Hi I am bit concerned that my builder is installing a wool based cavity insulation, are these common if not which type of insulation should o ask him to install?

thanks
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
You can use it but Celotex or Kingspan etc would be better but would cost more.

I have just purchased some Celotex GA4000 to insulate my new bathroom
Agree with markvirgo.

About 20 years ago that was the way to do it but there is better (but more expensive) solid board, foil backed insulation with lower U values about now!
We are having rockwall fibre insulation in our kitchen walls rather than celotex as celotex and Kingspan are so expensive now, loads of builders apparently stockpiled it last year before the increase.
Edited by: "darlodge" 11th Jan
We had Rockwool fibre in our cavity ( done by the council as it's a council house) damp got in somehow and the wall ties rusted away and a small part of the apex fell down.

Recently they have fitted external insulation and the damp has nowhere else to go but the inner walls, we've got damp coming everywhere.
Edited by: "Darzen" 11th Jan
Wool is spot on. Very high thermal insulation and fire resistant if I remember. Also eco friendly.

Celotex is higher insulation rating (so good for thin spaces) but again if I remember it's not as fire resistant and defo not as eco friendly.

Most builders wont do wool unless you ask as it costs them more.
Google Celotex and Grenfell and you may be happier with wool
You want kingspan or celotex .
That’s the upto date spec now and has been for the past 5 years .
Using rock wool/drytherm is the cheap way , it will work but it’s just not the way it should be done now .
ccnp5 h, 28 m ago

That was only because the cladding went on fire as easy as wood !!!!
Celotex on a traditional build is in between a brick wall and a block wall , which fire can NOT penetrate even if the fire was burning for 24 hours .
ccnp5 h, 34 m ago

Thanks he is sticking to the wool ones my only worry is if it raise while it's not covered and damp later on.
When you say wool, do you mean the rockwool stuff or real wool - like thermafleece?

If real wool then I'd be very careful - in fact I'd rule it out.

read this...

ntenvironmentalwork.net/201…on/
humadoon1 h, 39 m ago

Thanks he is sticking to the wool ones my only worry is if it raise while …Thanks he is sticking to the wool ones my only worry is if it raise while it's not covered and damp later on.

Must be paying very little for the work then ? As it’s a sub standard building requirement and most firms spec Kingspan/celotex as it 5 Times better in U value .
mas991 h, 7 m ago

When you say wool, do you mean the rockwool stuff or real wool - like …When you say wool, do you mean the rockwool stuff or real wool - like thermafleece?If real wool then I'd be very careful - in fact I'd rule it out.read this...https://ntenvironmentalwork.net/2011/05/26/problems-with-one-batch-of-wool-insulation/

It's called earthwool insulation that's what he is putting in.
yozzman123410 h, 5 m ago

Must be paying very little for the work then ? As it’s a sub standard b …Must be paying very little for the work then ? As it’s a sub standard building requirement and most firms spec Kingspan/celotex as it 5 Times better in U value .

I think I am not paying little and i also offered him to pay extra for the insulation boards however he claims earthwool has better breathable qualities.
humadoon2 h, 12 m ago

I think I am not paying little and i also offered him to pay extra for the …I think I am not paying little and i also offered him to pay extra for the insulation boards however he claims earthwool has better breathable qualities.

Breathable! It expands and blocks the whole cavity so no room for airflow, it gets damp and smells if it’s not covered up and the smell never goes . It’s 4-6 times cheaper than kingspan so that tells you a story . I always want the best , but that’s just me .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions