Groups

My corsa has white gunge in the engine. Any ideas what it could be?

Hi all,

it looks like im getting water somewhere in my engine. ive checked all water and fluid levels in the car and there fine

the car heating is coming out still warm

the oil dipstick is fine and normal

open the engine and its has quite abit of white gunge around the cap

any ideas what this could be? I thought head gasket but im not convinced it is

28 Comments

could be head gasket or it can be just moisture in the air if its only a little bit

Original Poster

lol. na its a mixture of oil and water

sell it quick!

Head gasket dying = Bingo!

Probably the cylinder head gasket.

The residue from someone who likes engines a lot? :?

Original Poster

would a long moterway joourney clear it? if so how long, i do alot of short journeys in it,

about 14 miles a day. 7 each way to work

That looks like the cbeebies bloke!?

splatsplatsplat;7644417

That looks like the cbeebies bloke!?

Which Skoda?

thevman2k3;7644388

would a long moterway joourney clear it? if so how long, i do alot of … would a long moterway joourney clear it? if so how long, i do alot of short journeys in it,

Maybe if you drive it long enough it'll "clear it" * eventually.

* "clear it" meaning = Break down / Car dead

Banned

head gasket going
    dont drive it! sell it!

splatsplatsplat;7644379

sell it quick!

+1

thevman2k3;7644388

would a long moterway joourney clear it? if so how long, i do alot of … would a long moterway joourney clear it? if so how long, i do alot of short journeys in it, about 14 miles a day. 7 each way to work

Although a mayonnaise substance is sometimes an indication of head gasket failure, it's not always.

If it's only being used on short journeys then condensation can collect and cause the same symptoms.

take down the motorway and thrash the hell out of it and it may clear out, lol

Hey, where did Justin Go?

http://www.yousaytoo.com/gallery_image/pic/48204/original/remote_image.22941.0.jpg

trade for my christmas zavvi voucher?:whistling:

reading what you have posted , everything seems fine & as long as you are not loosing coolant then i wouldnt worry, its a very common problem, just wipe clean the cap & refit, it will eventualy appear again though. The early corsa's had a recall to have some insulation wrapped around the dipstick tube & breather pipe to eliviate the moisture problem.

:thumbsup: Looks like the cylinder head gasket if its an old car get ready to sell quick.

If the dip stick oil level starts to rise without topping up the oil def sell it before the water reaches the main bearings

What age? A colleague had a '54 Corsa and its HG failed a few months back. I was pretty surprised - getting rarer these days.

It could just be the types of trips you are using the car for, if it's only ever 1 mile there and back then it can also be a cause.

HG is most likely however.

Head gasket for me!

What about a raffle, best guess of when it stops wins the car

;-)

if the water level is not dropping, then it might not be the head gasket, could just be some water in the system. you can get stuff to clear it out,

halfords.com/web…d=t

I vote for the Head Gasket on its way out but if you are gonna sell it on you better let the next owner know or you could find yourself getting sued for knowingly selling a dodgy car.

The chances are you would know on a road test because the temp would start to rise.

Dont panic

Step 1 wipe the white gunk from inside the cap etc and note water level.
    Step 2 Drive for a day or two and see if it returns.
    Step 3 A local garage can test for hydrocarbons in the water reservoir this will let you know for sure if its the head gasket.
    Driving low miles lets condensation build up in your engine common on old fiesta.
    On the fiesta fix was replace oil cap it had a breather in it.
    If your not losing oil or water in a day or 2 i would go on a longgggggggggggg run to heat the engine fully.
    Also when on the motorway give it some for a bit in forth gear hold at 70mph to give it a good clean out.
    That should help.

Banned

are you getting bluish smoke coming from the exhaust as well,,,,,,this is a sign of the head gasket going?

or could be someting else, try some fuel cleaning liquid or an ethanol mix

could be antifreeze getting in?

get a decent synthetic oil in and drain the old stuff.....could just be because of the extreme cold weather and not being able to dry out

I get the same white sludge in my BMW, when I first discovered it I panicked and thought it was the head gasket, but like you no loss of coolant. I took it for a 50 mile motorway run, like magic all white sludge gone in dip stick and cap. Turns out the problem is- I only use the car for work 2 miles their and 2 miles back, the car engine does not get hot enough to evaporate condensation in the engine therefore causes the sludge. Good luck hope thats all it is with yours.

peodude;7644494

Although a mayonnaise substance is sometimes an indication of head gasket … Although a mayonnaise substance is sometimes an indication of head gasket failure, it's not always.If it's only being used on short journeys then condensation can collect and cause the same symptoms.

OP - this answer is correct. The problem is caused by the short journeys you are doing. Just wipe the filler cap clean and try to add some longer journeys. It's not possible to define the length of journey required, I'm afraid.

I have had my Astra Mk3 for a fair few years now, and this happens every winter when the temp drops a fair bit.

Usually it is a strong indication that the head gasket is on its way out, but since my problem appeared I have done 100k in my car and its got no worse.

I regularly changed my oil (every 6months) and wiped the gunk from the cap.

If your water level isnt dropping then chances are it isnt the head gasket.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4041747
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764624
      3. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp912
      4. What is there free to do in your town?2138

See more discussions