My degree classification - advice anyone?

Found 13th Dec 2010
Ok,

I have a 2.2 degree in Biology. I was expecting a 2.1 and i am feeling quite worried. Is it going to be really hard to get a good job with a 2.2?? anybody on here have any past experience/advice??

Thanks

15 Comments

I think your going to struggle.

First think about the options available to you:
I'm qualified biochemist 1:1 honours and still getting a job would've been difficult at these times. I graduated last year and am doing dentistry now so that would certainly be an option. Another is PGCE (as you prob already know) to go into teaching. You may wanna take on masters/PhD (in a part of the field that you like) and see where you head from there. These are the options available.

There's no such thing as getting a good job. One that pays a lot is not necessarily the best thing that you can get. Think about something that you enjoy and then look for a job surrounding that. And later as experience comes you'll work your self up to earn good money. There are agencies out there that looks for jobs for you. Nature jobs can also guide you to it. You may consider applying to companies straight from uni, I remember in the final year everyone applying through uni website as organised by lectures,whilst I was applying to dental schools. You'll have fairs to attend that may give you the BIGGEST opportunity to see where you wanna head (at least that's what I think). Hope that helps dipstick (sorry it was too tempting!)

You can pm me at anytime if you need further help. I may be slow at replying, I have an exam on Wed.

Original Poster

Cheers Mdamz!
If only i worked as hard in my second year as i did in my third!

Feels bad starting off this message saying "Hello Dipstick!" =/
What you can't worry about now is the grade, whatever has happened has happened. You'll need to pitch yourself at your jobs even harder. If you have any work experience under your belt, start noting down the transferable skills... these will boost your pitch when you come to selling yourself for jobs during the application and interview process.

Depends what kinda job you're after. Where there's a will! There's a way!

I wouldn't worry about there are harldy any jobs out there at the moment so use the time either to build on your skills or save some pennies up for a post grad to improve your grades

i've had reasonable grades throughout uni then did a post grad still haven't managed to get a job i want so gonna go back after new year hopefull for a phd
really depends on where you see yourself as mentioned before the high paid jobs are not always the best jobs

Degree classifications very rarely get in the way of jobs unless you are trying to stay in academic areas... In the real work world experience is the only qualification that counts...

Set yourself up with some work experience, intern-ships or voluntary work and you'll be OK.

I very nearly failed my degree and I'm doing just fine now.

No point in worrying about it now. You have what you have; the thing to do is make the best of it. Have to agree with MDamz, PGCE could be a good idea although funding and bursaries are constantly changing at present depdning on the coalition governments current whim. What about looking into the Graduate Teaching Programme (GTP). With this you teach in a school but get the PGCE on the job so at least you are gtting paid whilst you train. Schools are desparate still for good science teachers and those that make the best teachers arent always those with a a first or 2:1 in my experience, although good subject knowledge and acadmic ability does help.

As a starting point if you are interested in teaching I would advise looking for work as a teaching assistant. Most likely schools to take on younger staff are those in tougher inner city areas in my experience. Working somewhere like that will certainly help you decide if teaching is for you. Personally I started out in a tough school in leeds as a teaching assistant and the experience has proved invaluable in terms of dealing with less enthusiatc kids.

Banned

my wife was 6 points from a 1st, you sound like her when she got the result, but in all honestly you are much worse off

I've been working since I was 16 (never sacked) and have above average wage and been accepted for my dream job, experience speaks wonders in the work place.

Edited by: "lumoruk" 13th Dec 2010

s2rocks247

Degree classifications very rarely get in the way of jobs unless you are … Degree classifications very rarely get in the way of jobs unless you are trying to stay in academic areas... In the real work world experience is the only qualification that counts...Set yourself up with some work experience, intern-ships or voluntary work and you'll be OK.I very nearly failed my degree and I'm doing just fine now.

This.

s2rocks247

Degree classifications very rarely get in the way of jobs unless you are … Degree classifications very rarely get in the way of jobs unless you are trying to stay in academic areas... In the real work world experience is the only qualification that counts...Set yourself up with some work experience, intern-ships or voluntary work and you'll be OK.I very nearly failed my degree and I'm doing just fine now.

Spot on.

Too much crap talk on here from others who have got a college diploma at best, and still live off their mummy and daddy.

i got 2.2 (missed 2.1 by 1.5%)!

my advice...marry a rich bloke and leech of him

magicbeans

i got 2.2 (missed 2.1 by 1.5%)!my advice...marry a rich bloke and leech … i got 2.2 (missed 2.1 by 1.5%)!my advice...marry a rich bloke and leech of him

Or if male turn gay and marry a rich bloke and leech off him.

Depends what you want to do.

You will find it VERY difficult to get into teaching with a 2.2 rather than a 2.1 if that was a route for you.

but as most have ave said it is experiance that will carry you in other career paths that arent academically based.

dcx_badass

Tesco shelf stacker should be achievable.

Would still be a step up from what you do though...

Don't worry yourself. I dropped out after 2 years due to copious amounts of illegal substances. I'm now a bank manager!! Just work hard at whatever you get into and opportunities will come your way.
Post a comment
@
    Text