My electric meter has used £4 in 3 days and 14 hours despite not much being used?!

Put £10 onto the meter Sunday night around 9.15pm.

I then put my desktop pc and plasma on to transfer some stuff from laptop, was on for about 2 hours at most then went to bed around 1am.

Monday woke up at lunchtime, had a shower then went up town and wasnt back till like 7pm, then sat on laptop till 8.45 then went to parents on train and didnt get back till 9.30pm last night when I used my laptop and watched Sky tv till 1.30am

I havent done any cooking in this period,just lived off leftovers yet have used £4 in electric! It shouldnt take £4 electric to have a pc on for 2-3 hours and a laptop for 4-5 and a fridge on for 3 and a half days!

Last week when I checked I was spending about £1.10 a day including daily showers, using desktop pc and tv with sky at same time so dont know why I am using more for nothing!?

33 Comments

SuperEd

your meter might be paying off somebody elses debt

Banned

meters charge per day anyway dont they, without even having used any electricity, also they are higher than normal tariffs

Haven't you posted about this before?

How long are you having the Plasma on for,they use loads of electric..........

Are you sure that the meter is only feeding your property. Is it possible that anyone else is connected off the same supply?

I blame the shower. We used to have a 10kW shower in my old flat and a meter that made a loud click every time the numbers increased, and although the clicking was fairly infrequent most of the time, as soon as that shower got turned on it was continuous click-click-click-click. Our bills were enormous, and I reckon that shower to be 95% of why.

our plasma use's loads so we tapped into next doors, we are so much better of now...........

call them out and have them investigate your concerns and a pay meter is the worst and most expensive way change it a.s.a.p

that sounds about right to me..

Original Poster

deb8z

Haven't you posted about this before?

That was for a friends flat I was staying in not mine.

dxx

I blame the shower. We used to have a 10kW shower in my old flat and a … I blame the shower. We used to have a 10kW shower in my old flat and a meter that made a loud click every time the numbers increased, and although the clicking was fairly infrequent most of the time, as soon as that shower got turned on it was continuous click-click-click-click. Our bills were enormous, and I reckon that shower to be 95% of why.

I would think that but the last shower I had was on Monday here for about 15 minutes, and it doesnt explain why that when I was here the last 2 weeks or so I was having a daily shower for longer, had a tv and full desktop on for longer and was cooking yet used less electric.

I reckon my fridge uses a bit as its a full size one not a undercounter one but it shouldnt be well over a quid a day!

I don't think that seems an awful lot....

Banned

My computer somehow uses 850 watts when on...haven't you got a fridge and freezer? maybe check to make sure your fridge isn't all frozen up in the ice compartment. Laptop is about 70 watts. My 22" LCD is 50 watt, my 40" LCD is 240 watt my fridge, freezer, router, alarm clock use 150watts between them.

I put £10 on monday at about 11.30am and it has used £7. and im at work all day and never leave things on at home.

No shower since monday? You must stink!

Have you got halogen lighting? Some types of lighting draw a lot of power.

DarkKnight

No shower since monday? You must stink!

He's been staying at his parents ya eejit lol

Banned

£1 a day using a plasma tv and an electric shower and daily standing charge sounds about right to me

Banned

lumoruk

My computer somehow uses 850 watts when on...haven't you got a fridge and … My computer somehow uses 850 watts when on...haven't you got a fridge and freezer? maybe check to make sure your fridge isn't all frozen up in the ice compartment. Laptop is about 70 watts. My 22" LCD is 50 watt, my 40" LCD is 240 watt my fridge, freezer, router, alarm clock use 150watts between them.

850W!!!!

my pc uses about 100-120W. Are you running a server lol

Banned

then again my 50" plasma uses 550W!

csiman

£1 a day using a plasma tv and an electric shower and daily standing … £1 a day using a plasma tv and an electric shower and daily standing charge sounds about right to me

Sounds like a bloody bargain to me!

You guys do remember it's not 2002 anymore don't you? Electricity prices are ridiculous these days. About 5 years ago I was using about £6 a week on my meter, last year when I got rid of the pre payment meter, it was using about £15 a week. No plasma TV, no electric shower.

Banned

csiman

my pc uses about 100-120W. Are you running a server lol

no just got quite a few drives in it, plus that includes the 50watt screen

You may also have quite a few things on standby or which have extra functions that draw power even when the main appliance is not being used. Things like clocks on the microwave, TV addons etc.

1: Get yourself an energy meter. you can get 1 free on this site.
2: Turn EVERYTHING OFF

Banned

Go camping

I requested a revised bill and refund from my supplier so I now pay £21/pm which seems acceptable.

When I am out of the house the only electrical appliances left on are the fridge and two alarm clocks.
However I do shower every day, own a plasma and run a fairly beefy (but efficient) gaming rig.

Original Poster

Well at my last place I was paying about 50p a day electric but didnt have showers there or cooked there and when I was away on holiday at southport was spending about 40p a day cooking, running a laptop etc I know thats different but still.

And when I spent 4 days at my friends including microwave cooking and leaving laptop on 24/7 for 2 days I used 50p a day.

I am not using the plasma very much, I am using a portable crt modern one and not using the desktop at all since its wireless card is too weak to get internet.

So it sucked out like £3 when I wasnt even in the house and leave nothing on standby, the only thing on was the fridge.

Like at my other friends house a few months ago, it seems to be sucking a set amount each day even if its not been used, in this case its over £1 a day more like £1.30 just for running a fridge.

If I was in the house and watching tv I can understand using that amount but not when I was away for over 48 hours and the day I was there I used a laptop for about 2 hours, that doesnt drain masses of electric!

It may be usual for many people but for me is hugely excessive and considering in a shared house we were paying like £7 a week between 2 people for combined gas and electric, having heating on for about 10 hours a day every day, me with my plasma AND the pc and monitor on for 6-8 hours a day sometimes more, both of us cooking in oven or hob, long showers of like 30 minutes or more each.

Yet this costs more for nothing!

I know its only the end of last year but I was paying about £3 a week electric then and £5 if I decided to put heating on and use pc and plasma at same time.

Banned

you cannot just compare A to B, or X to Y, it depends who you are with, what area, what tariff you are on, what standing charge is, etc,etc

so check what you are being charged and change to cheaper if you are able to do this

Original Poster

sassie

you cannot just compare A to B, or X to Y, it depends who you are with, … you cannot just compare A to B, or X to Y, it depends who you are with, what area, what tariff you are on, what standing charge is, etc,etcso check what you are being charged and change to cheaper if you are able to do this

Well according to the meter readings, I pay the same standing charge and rates as old property and its the same company.

Its a pre pay meter so cant change it without paying costs for a new meter.

its like £1.23 a week standing charge so about 18p a day.

I can only assume its the fridge freezer but even so it shouldnt cost £1 a day to run just a fridge freezer when I get charged less when I have the fridge on and my pc and plasma and a crt I was using less!

Original Poster

Also I do have loads of lightbulbs those tiny screw in ones that are in the ceiling, there is 8 of them but 2 dont work and I only use 1 side so 3 in use but again it still seems like a massive amount to drain for 30 minutes monday and 2-3 hours Sunday

Banned

ryouga

Well according to the meter readings, I pay the same standing charge and … Well according to the meter readings, I pay the same standing charge and rates as old property and its the same company.Its a pre pay meter so cant change it without paying costs for a new meter.its like £1.23 a week standing charge so about 18p a day.I can only assume its the fridge freezer but even so it shouldnt cost £1 a day to run just a fridge freezer when I get charged less when I have the fridge on and my pc and plasma and a crt I was using less!

you can stay on a pre payment but find a cheaper company, or as suggested get yaself a free nergy monitor so you can see what you are using and where

Did you have a pre payment meter in your last place ?

Original Poster

deb8z

Did you have a pre payment meter in your last place ?

With the temporary flat I had yes, literally spent 50-60p a day in electric and that included a shower every day and using a microwave and watching a 20" crt tv and with a laptop on all the time(or more since I was downloading so was on 24/7 for 3 days)

SinceI wrote the post this morning I have watched tv for 3 and a half hours, had laptop on for 3 and a half hours and used a slow cooker for 6 hours and charged a mobile and had a shower and only used 30p and that sounds about right.

ryouga

Also I do have loads of lightbulbs those tiny screw in ones that are in … Also I do have loads of lightbulbs those tiny screw in ones that are in the ceiling, there is 8 of them but 2 dont work and I only use 1 side so 3 in use but again it still seems like a massive amount to drain for 30 minutes monday and 2-3 hours Sunday

There's your problem. I choose to live in darkness
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders22
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763818
    3. GOT Leaks again413
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread414214048

See more discussions