My electrician just charged me £280 for a days work !!!!

Banned 27 replies
Found 17th Nov 2009

My electrician just charged me £280 for a days work !!!!

And he was worth every penny!

The Electrician I'd previously employed was finally fired for failing to turn up on numerous occasions. He still had £450 worth of work left.... but was trying to up the price by a further £450 (having already been paid £400)

This guy arrived at 7.45am.... and left at 10.15pm .................. he said it'd be a long day, but I was very surprised he kept on going so late! (He had a 75 minute car journey each way too!) Not too many guys out there prepared to work this hard to complete their jobs. Guy found on "mybuilder.com".

So I've now got my new fuse board fitted, Part P certificate and the building work is getting every nearer to completion.

Serious Thread... no trolling please.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
27 Comments

Nice one Glad you found a reliable leccy!

Hope you spread the good word if anyone needs an electrician. Hope you made him plenty of tea

[COLOR="Red"]Reported. [/COLOR]

Original Poster Banned

DragonChris;6922297

Nice one Glad you found a reliable leccy!Hope you spread the good word … Nice one Glad you found a reliable leccy!Hope you spread the good word if anyone needs an electrician. Hope you made him plenty of tea

He had plenty of tea.... lemonade and a few cakes (and for the car home!)

Offered something to eat for lunch, but kept going. He installed 11 down lighters in my living room, starting at about 7pm and finishing in less than 3 hours. the previous guy wanted £250 just to this this part of the work. The ceiling needs skimming (Its patterned artex, so was going anyway), but its been repaired from all the holes that had to be made - and all works on its own independent 4 gang dimmer switch.

we're the kings of the site. hope to be in same position few years downthe line. although rates prolly much higher darn sarf

Original Poster Banned

KFC;6922319

[COLOR="magenta"]Reported. [/COLOR]

This thread does say no trolls. That should have meant no posts from you.

its so difficult to find reliable tradesman. You will prob get him tons more business with recommending him which is brilliant

guv;6922332

He had plenty of tea.... lemonade and a few cakes (and for the car … He had plenty of tea.... lemonade and a few cakes (and for the car home!)Offered something to eat for lunch, but kept going. He installed 11 down lighters in my living room, starting at about 7pm and finishing in less than 3 hours. the previous guy wanted £250 just to this this part of the work. The ceiling needs skimming (Its patterned artex, so was going anyway), but its been repaired from all the holes that had to be made - and all works on its own independent 4 gang dimmer switch.

Lol nice one

I have no idea what he has done for you (clueless about electrics and general home stuff) but all sounds good (I get the dimmer switch :p).

Original Poster Banned

DragonChris;6922368

Lol nice one :)I have no idea what he has done for you (clueless about … Lol nice one :)I have no idea what he has done for you (clueless about electrics and general home stuff) but all sounds good (I get the dimmer switch :p).

Hmmm. let me see......

It was mostly a second fix job (ie fuse board installed and chasing completed and plastered... so finishing off basically.

Heres the list......

Connect up, 8 downlighters, 2 double dimmer switches and make live in new games room.
Connect up and make live 15 double sockets in games room. (Yes it does say 15!)
Connect up Loo fan and switch
Connect up 4 seperate lots of external lighting and internal swich and connect to fuse board
Add separate ring main in kitchen, ready for new kitchen (so it can be separated and be completely on its own ring)
Sensor switch to bathroom ('cos the missus keeps forgetting to switch the light off!)
New radial circuit to old airing cupboard and extended up into loft for separate power supply.
Install from scratch, 11downlighters on its own 4 way dimmer.

All in a day!!!

Worked a 14 1/2 hour day for £280. Proper workman, doing a good job, no hassle for less than £20 an hour - bargain. He did a ton of work in that time. Hope you gave him cash in hand.

Once you get a good guy like that you hold onto them. Finally we have the details of a good Plumber, electrician and carpenter but we've had a few rotton ones over the years. and it's somehow comforting to know if something goes wrong (frequently in our house) then we know who to call and can trust not only to do a good job but trust to be in the house as well.
Our window cleaner is SO pervy it's unreal, I heard recently he got thrown out of the Jahova's Witnesses for sleeping with his clients and getting caught on numerous occasions!

Original Poster Banned

chesso;6922689

Worked a 14 1/2 hour day for £280. Proper workman, doing a good job, no … Worked a 14 1/2 hour day for £280. Proper workman, doing a good job, no hassle for less than £20 an hour - bargain. He did a ton of work in that time. Hope you gave him cash in hand.

Yes, cash i hand. Makes me laugh. The guy I had before wanted £200 for very little work in the 5 1/2 hours he considered to be a days work!

(inb4 the trolls report for tax evasion or some other stupid reason..... PS - Mods - thanks for unspamming this thread.)

Annoyed because a couple of things he was supposed to have done, he hadn't, so unless I pulled the new ceiling down, I have to settle for something I kept spelling out to the previous guy. (All to do with linking the 4 lots of external lighting.) I'll be leaving thae previous guy suitable feedback very soon. So many things have come to light about him now too! (Bloody crook!)

sickly sweet;6922715

Once you get a good guy like that you hold onto them. Finally we have the … Once you get a good guy like that you hold onto them. Finally we have the details of a good Plumber, electrician and carpenter but we've had a few rotton ones over the years. and it's somehow comforting to know if something goes wrong (frequently in our house) then we know who to call and can trust not only to do a good job but trust to be in the house as well.Our window cleaner is SO pervy it's unreal, I heard recently he got thrown out of the Jahova's Witnesses for sleeping with his clients and getting caught on numerous occasions!

LOL... luckily I dont need a window cleaner! :w00t:

Its a great shame that this guy lives so far away from me tbh. When you think, with that £280, he had to pay out about £30 (Id guess) in materials and also pay for fuel for a 90 mile round trip!

Top top geezer,

Was he polish by any chance?

Original Poster Banned

J.Dance;6923476

Was he polish by any chance?

Nope. Pucker English geezer....Said he often worked very long hours. Think this may have been a bit excessive though even by his standards!

Good to have a trade still eh!

Dont forget to leave him good feedback!

guv;6923364

Yes, cash i hand. Makes me laugh. The guy I had before wanted £200 for … Yes, cash i hand. Makes me laugh. The guy I had before wanted £200 for very little work in the 5 1/2 hours he considered to be a days work!(inb4 the trolls report for tax evasion or some other stupid reason..... PS - Mods - thanks for unspamming this thread.)Annoyed because a couple of things he was supposed to have done, he hadn't, so unless I pulled the new ceiling down, I have to settle for something I kept spelling out to the previous guy. (All to do with linking the 4 lots of external lighting.) I'll be leaving thae previous guy suitable feedback very soon. So many things have come to light about him now too! (Bloody crook!)Its a great shame that this guy lives so far away from me tbh. When you think, with that £280, he had to pay out about £30 (Id guess) in materials and also pay for fuel for a 90 mile round trip!Top top geezer,

Someone spammed this thread? Bizarre.

I think we're pretty lucky down this way - plenty of good hard-working skilled people, but quite pricey never-the-less; not that we have had any improvements done but I have renovations coming up.

I guess when there's plenty of work to be had and not so many capable of tackling it, that you get the shonky ones making a mint and doing a poor job.

Hope we're going to see pics of the extension.

guv;6925099

I'll PM some pics once done and the TV sets on the wall and the kids … I'll PM some pics once done and the TV sets on the wall and the kids gaming chairs installed! Not to mention the bank of PC screens and PCs in my "office".

Good :thumbsup: We're down to 5 screens scattered around the house here, now. I think you beat that.:-D

guv;6925368

It seems that it's become fashoinable to act a complete plank.I have made … It seems that it's become fashoinable to act a complete plank.I have made it clear its a serious thread, but trolls will be trolls.EDIT: Thanks for removing the trolls post mods...... not sure how many more you'll need to do. After last night, you'd have thought they'd learnt a lesson!

I'd have thought that a thread pointing out that there are still darned good, skilled and honest people out there would only bring out appreciation. :thinking:

WTF has gone on in this thread,only just having look through,I assume deletions have occurred?

Original Poster Banned

chesso;6925515

Good :thumbsup: We're down to 5 screens scattered around the house here, … Good :thumbsup: We're down to 5 screens scattered around the house here, now. I think you beat that.:-D

I just bought a 24" about 2 month ago (I didnt think this work would taks so long.) And my sister has brought down with her for me today, a 22", 19" and 15" LCD for me. It'll be like viewing the ducks on Corrie! (The 15" will be used for the CCTV...... Just so I can keep an eye on my new cars.), The 22" is brand new too! She just wanted one with a TV tuner! So with the 2 kids PCs, their laptops, the missus laptop etc etc...... I have... rather..... a ... lot!

I'd have thought that thread pointing out that there are still darned … I'd have thought that thread pointing out that there are still darned good, skilled and honest people out there would only bring out appreciation. :thinking:

In some peoples eyes, its better to read about fantasy lifestyles and imaginary possessions and jobs. I feel sorry for them to be honest.

boothy;6925526

WTF has gone on in this thread,only just having look through,I assume … WTF has gone on in this thread,only just having look through,I assume deletions have occurred?

Just a few! I'm just waiting for the person no one has been allowed to talk about for the last 10 days to appear!

Banned

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]You'd be happy if you'd managed to find an electrician that cheap! I'm genuinely really pleased for the OP.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I've always thought those 'house of horror shows' would get on much better if they just recommended decent tradesman instead of trying to catch out fly by night charles that change company name every 5 minutes...

Flodd;6925990

I've always thought those 'house of horror shows' would get on much … I've always thought those 'house of horror shows' would get on much better if they just recommended decent tradesman instead of trying to catch out fly by night charles that change company name every 5 minutes...

Yes, or at least listed the good skilled honest people in the area. I guess it's not seen as entertainment, people doing a good solid honest job of work ( and being appreciated for it) :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

Flodd;6925990

I've always thought those 'house of horror shows' would get on much … I've always thought those 'house of horror shows' would get on much better if they just recommended decent tradesman instead of trying to catch out fly by night charles that change company name every 5 minutes...

Good point, but that would unfortunately lead to hyper inflated prices from the workmen you could trust!

Certainly the quotes I had for doing the complete works I had. The one I got through "word of mouth" from a mate of mine, was double what anyone else quoted.

Ive eventually paid about 45% of his price and had so much more work done elsewhere for that money.

Thanks for removing yet more troll posts again mods..... Can you remove the troll tags too please.

Original Poster Banned

guv;6926037

Can you remove the troll tags too please.

Thanks mods. :thumbsup:

Hopefully they'll take the hint that its a serious thread and stop trolling. It seems to have worked for the last 15 minutes anyway.:-D

guv;6922430

Hmmm. let me see......It was mostly a second fix job (ie fuse board … Hmmm. let me see......It was mostly a second fix job (ie fuse board installed and chasing completed and plastered... so finishing off basically.Heres the list......Connect up, 8 downlighters, 2 double dimmer switches and make live in new games room.Connect up and make live 15 double sockets in games room. (Yes it does say 15!)Connect up Loo fan and switchConnect up 4 seperate lots of external lighting and internal swich and connect to fuse boardAdd separate ring main in kitchen, ready for new kitchen (so it can be separated and be completely on its own ring)Sensor switch to bathroom ('cos the missus keeps forgetting to switch the light off!)New radial circuit to old airing cupboard and extended up into loft for separate power supply.Install from scratch, 11downlighters on its own 4 way dimmer.All in a day!!!

Awesome, that is total win

That's a lot of sockets

Original Poster Banned

DragonChris;6932983

Awesome, that is total win :DThat's a lot of sockets

Indeed...... I have a lot of PC (and related) plus TV (and related) gear to plug into the room - which is going to be used as a gaming / PC room. 4 extra double sockets in the kitchen was more to get a seperate ring into the room though the size has increased - You can never have enough sockets! The extra 2 doubles in the "airing cupboard" and loft, was more just to get power other than light into there.

The downlighting fitted in the living room has made a great difference as it distributes the light better than the central single pendant we had before. Dunno why we never changed it ealier as a 17' x 17' room does really need more than that!

nice to know theres still some honest tradesmen out there.

honestley dont know why people chrage so much for so little all for a quick buck. at the end of the day you do a good job at a good price the customer is going to use you again and also recommend you to other people.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564106
    2. Add one, leave one game54315403
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769262
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322842

See more discussions