my eyesight is pretty poor. can someone tell me if I would notice difference between 4k and HDR definition?

17 replies
17 Comments

HDR is not about pixels, it's more about the colour

Not really

If your eyesight is poor then no, unless you are wearing contacts/glasses.

HDR is a set of technologies that includes variable dimming for brighter highlights (better contrast) and the ability to display extreme colours than TVs have been unable to in the past. It's designed to make things like light sources (such as a neon sign) much more realistic and convincing.

Unlike resolution changes like Full HD to 4K it's got nothing to do with the amount of detail. How much 4K will benefit you depends on the size of TV and your viewing distance as well as your eyesight. Although it's increasing becoming an irrelevant point as the higher quality TVs are often only available in 4K.

Original Poster

mds1256

HDR is not about pixels, it's more about the colour

​can I not just turn the colour up. hey presto?

Original Poster

JohnnyRoller

If your eyesight is poor then no, unless you are wearing contacts/glasses.

​thanks, would it make a big difference if I put my glasses on, between HDR & 4K

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

HDR is a set of technologies that includes variable dimming for brighter … HDR is a set of technologies that includes variable dimming for brighter highlights (better contrast) and the ability to display extreme colours than TVs have been unable to in the past. It's designed to make things like light sources (such as a neon sign) much more realistic and convincing. Unlike resolution changes like Full HD to 4K it's got nothing to do with the amount of detail. How much 4K will benefit you depends on the size of TV and your viewing distance as well as your eyesight. Although it's increasing becoming an irrelevant point as the higher quality TVs are often only available in 4K.

​thanks, that's more like it..

It depends on your eye sight really. If you are visually impaired or blind then there a huge factors. If you can see the tv up close you will notice a difference in color and sharpness, again depending on your sight it all varies.

If money is not an issue go 4K HDR 10bit OLED.. you really need to ask yourself "how much do I care about resolution?" Alternatively you can always demo them at most electricals outlets to try before you buy.. there's not an abundance of 4K material available anyway..

I bought a 4k hdr 10 bit etc. Streamed Netflix in ultra HD and couldn't really tell the difference between 4k and HD until I put my glasses on!

Get yourself to the opticians!

callu80

​can I not just turn the colour up. hey presto?

That just changes which of the available colours the picture uses, it doesn't actually adjust the range of colours. It also affects the entire picture so if you wanted to make something like a green t-shirt more saturated then it would also affect the foliage in shot.

HDR allows the content to specify a much more realistic shade for that fluorescent green t-shirt without affecting anything else.

The full set of HDR tech is expensive right now so while you can pick up a 4K TV for £250 you're looking at £1500 or more for a good stab at full HDR. Unless you've got a lot of HDR content then it's probably not worth spending extra for it right now.

Your mind and eyes adjust over time so unless you frequently go back and forth the benefits are pointless. Seems to me a very good screen is the best option, the refresh rate the clarity over all formats. A poor screen will disappoint no matter what format. You also have to take into account the broadcast quality coming into the TV.

Original Poster

ian292

https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=firefox-b&q=astaxanthin+eyesight&oq=astaxanthin+eyesight&gs_l=serp.3..0j0i22i30k1l2.6109.18282.0.19150.12.11.0.1.1.0.284.1309.2j5j2.9.0....0...1c.1.64.serp..2.10.1307...0i67k1j0i20k1j0i13k1j0i13i5i30k1j0i8i13i30k1.jVKzWjgA3i8

​can I crush them and snort them...

Don't know, maybe try as an Enema, you never Know that might do something for you.
P.S. you're supposed to swallow them They work for me.
So many childish trolls on here.Never tried as an enema ..nah don't think so

Edited by: "ian292" 13th Mar

if your eyesight is poor, you should be wearing glasses strong enough to give you normal vision, in which case you will notice the difference

Don't bother with the glasses, just sit closer to the telly for a better experience.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Free money and competition entry @ Circle710
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57571
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)45

See more discussions