my husbands name on the log book of a car which was mine but we brought it from out joint savers account .he has been messing around now he has left before he left he said i could do what i liked with the car .i need to sell it i cant afford to run i

15 Comments

go through a mutual friend to get him to sign the v5 if you don't want to talk to him

Have a look at the front page top. There's a box inside it says something to the effect "The registered keeper is not necessarily the owner of the vehicle". It's basically who the police come to with fines and such, if you have title to the car invoice of purchase it's yours, being able to show money coming from a joint account for purchase may be enough either way, don't worry about it crack on, if he's said sell it, sell it.

sell it to me...wat car is it?

Pretty sure, as per the first post, you will need to get him to sign it somehow, regardless of who 'owns' it or any informal agreement. If he is the registered keeper on the V5C, only he can sign to say 'keepership' has been transferred. Just get it signed but undated.

Surly worst case scenario if you don't want to talk to him and cannot get him to sign, would be to pay £25 I believe it is for a new log book and apply with your details stating that you're the new keeper? I'm not entirely sure but wouldn't that work?
Edited by: "joshp" 14th Jun 2015

Or in the signature bit just write "On behalf of Mr Cheating Barsteward" and sign your own name.

Just sign it yourself dvla don't really check signature. If there any issues dvla will write a letter to the owners address saying if there is an issue please write back within I think 21 days if not the logbook will be sent to the new keeper. I have brought and sold vehicles with different names and sometime no logbook but never had a problem. Are you planning to give his share back

kash2013

Just sign it yourself dvla don't really check signature. If there any … Just sign it yourself dvla don't really check signature. If there any issues dvla will write a letter to the owners address saying if there is an issue please write back within I think 21 days if not the logbook will be sent to the new keeper. I have brought and sold vehicles with different names and sometime no logbook but never had a problem. Are you planning to give his share back

Isn't that fraud ? oO

speak to the DVLA about the issue they are extremely helpful and will advise what can be done, as if you listen to people on here the information may be misleading or illegal .

If you have the V5C, you can change the name and address of the registered keeper. Just fill in the sections that apply on the V5C and return to DVLA. You cannot sell a vehicle with your husbands name on the logbook. As the previous person said, give DVLA a call, they are really helpful.

Original Poster

Thank you for your advice

Original Poster

kash2013

Just sign it yourself dvla don't really check signature. If there any … Just sign it yourself dvla don't really check signature. If there any issues dvla will write a letter to the owners address saying if there is an issue please write back within I think 21 days if not the logbook will be sent to the new keeper. I have brought and sold vehicles with different names and sometime no logbook but never had a problem. Are you planning to give his share back

No he won't get his share as he has left me to sort out everything and the kids While he has a good time !

Original Poster

You think like me lol

kester76

Isn't that fraud ? oO

I don't know if it is fraud as the registered keeper may not be the legal owner ie let say the baliffs take your car and sell it who signs the logbook then. I don't even think it needs to be signed to sell a car. I use to have a lot of cars that have been involved in accidents given to my brothers company from owners and insurance companies never had a problem getting a logbook or selling it not being the registered keeper. Logbook are for registered keepers not legal owners. So once it's been given to the opp she has become the legal owner.

Original Poster

Thanks for good advice
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants