Groups
    EXPIRED

MY IDEA ON PLAYING THE NATIONAL LOTTERY - PLEASE DISCUSS

I have been thinking about this for years and have discussed it with my friends, half think im stupid, half think its actually a good idea, so here it is.....

If you are going to play the lottery and have the same set of numbers each week, wouldnt it be better to get for example 2 or 3 tickets with the same numbers on them.

this would mean then that if say for example 3 people won the lottery and the prize is £3million, if you had two lots of the same ticket, you would have completely owned that other person out of half a million just by payin £1 extra for an identical ticket.

Same idea goes for if you bought 2 tickets which are exactly the same, the prize was £12million and after the draw it shows that there are 4 winners, instead of u recieving £3million, u cud totally own it and get £6 million, with the other two people winning £3million each.

There are rules on the max amount of ticketsyou can buy in any one draw, but no rule as far as i know of gettin 2 or 3 tickets with the same numbers on it.

What do u ppl think, feel free to hurl abuse my way if you think its stupid

cheers

acecatcher3

49 Comments

It would be a great Idea, if you knew which numbers were going to come out

Banned

that thought has crossed my mind before too lol

I wont hurl abuse but it unfortunately is a stupid idea

Original Poster

Forsaken;3230217

I wont hurl abuse but it unfortunately is a stupid idea

whys that forsaken hit us ur thoughts.

the reason i say it is everyone plays the lottery to win the big prize, surely £1 extra is a worthy sacrifice to make if it could possibly double the amount u win.

16 mil to 1 chance to win, you are surely asuming a win, better 2, 16 mil to 1 chances than 1, as both tkts will only be 16 mil - 1 :? i think lol

Surely though you would be gutted if you were the only one to win the jackpot as you would of lost a £1....

:whistling:

Banned

acecatcher3;3230237

whys that forsaken hit us ur thoughts.the reason i say it is everyone … whys that forsaken hit us ur thoughts.the reason i say it is everyone plays the lottery to win the big prize, surely £1 extra is a worthy sacrifice to make if it could possibly double the amount u win.

I suppose, but paying that extra £1 towards a different set of numbers instead also doubles your chance of winning

It's not stupid, just the odds of winning the lottery are so high you could end up spending a lot more money!

It's also a little greedy - I'd be happy with half a million !

Original Poster

Hutchie;3230251

Surely though you would be gutted if you were the only one to win the … Surely though you would be gutted if you were the only one to win the jackpot as you would of lost a £1....:whistling:

haha! im sure everyone wud b thinking of that £1 hutchie good call :w00t:

Hutchie;3230251

Surely though you would be gutted if you were the only one to win the … Surely though you would be gutted if you were the only one to win the jackpot as you would of lost a £1....:whistling:

lol, if you were the sole jackpot winner I'm sure a quid's not going to bother you

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3230277

It's not stupid, just the odds of winning the lottery are so high you … It's not stupid, just the odds of winning the lottery are so high you could end up spending a lot more money!It's also a little greedy - I'd be happy with half a million !

ye guess so but if u cud spare £2 a week it might b a good idea, its definately debatable, as salder has said, gettin different numbers will double ur chance, i justwonder how cool it wud b to win and then have 2 of the 3 winning tickets!

Banned

I don't gamble :-D

Original Poster

Hutchie;3230251

ps after looking at ur avvy, im guessing a member called 0bd_69 will b pming u :thumbsup:

Original Poster

DLM;3230302

I don't gamble :-D

if u had money wud u :w00t::p

salder21;3230253

I suppose, but paying that extra £1 towards a different set of numbers … I suppose, but paying that extra £1 towards a different set of numbers instead also doubles your chance of winning

Nope thats the prob, you just have 2, 16 million to 1 chances

Original Poster

happy donkey;3230345

Nope thats the prob, you just have 2, 16 million to 1 chances

yeah so uve doubled ur chances of winning, hes not sayin u have a 50% chance, just double the chance u have if u have one ticket, admittedly its still horrible odds.

50% of something is better than 100% of nothing

[SIZE=1](has nothing to do with this mass-debate but I just wanted to say it)[/SIZE]

acecatcher3;3230367

yeah so uve doubled ur chances of winning, hes not sayin u have a 50% … yeah so uve doubled ur chances of winning, hes not sayin u have a 50% chance, just double the chance u have if u have one ticket, admittedly its still horrible odds.

Yeah I see that but it depends on how you view doubling your chances :thumbsup: and I'm not sure how that works lol,

Save up a little extra and buy yourself some premium bonds :thumbsup:

Banned

acecatcher3;3230311

if u had money wud u :w00t::p

Nope, it's a mug's game :thinking:

Banned

acecatcher3;3230367

yeah so uve doubled ur chances of winning, hes not sayin u have a 50% … yeah so uve doubled ur chances of winning, hes not sayin u have a 50% chance, just double the chance u have if u have one ticket, admittedly its still horrible odds.

yep that was it :thumbsup:

1 ticket = 1 in 16 million chance
    2 tickets with same numbers = 1 in 16 million chance (but a bigger share of the jackpot).
    2 tickets with 2 lots of different numbers = 1 in 8 million chance.
    So 2 tickets with different numbers double your chance of winning. So what if you have to share the jackpot at least you have twice the chance of actually winning the jackpot. There is the point that the non-duplicate ticket bought was the one with the winning numbers.

crd67;3230441

1 ticket = 1 in 16 million chance2 tickets with same numbers = 1 in 16 … 1 ticket = 1 in 16 million chance2 tickets with same numbers = 1 in 16 million chance (but a bigger share of the jackpot).2 tickets with 2 lots of different numbers = 1 in 8 million chance.So 2 tickets with different numbers double your chance of winning. So what if you have to share the jackpot at least you have twice the chance of actually winning the jackpot. There is the point that the non-duplicate ticket bought was the one with the winning numbers.

incorrect, you have 2 x 1 in 16 million, not 1 in 8 million

Original Poster

crd67;3230441

1 ticket = 1 in 16 million chance2 tickets with same numbers = 1 in 16 … 1 ticket = 1 in 16 million chance2 tickets with same numbers = 1 in 16 million chance (but a bigger share of the jackpot).2 tickets with 2 lots of different numbers = 1 in 8 million chance.So 2 tickets with different numbers double your chance of winning. So what if you have to share the jackpot at least you have twice the chance of actually winning the jackpot. There is the point that the non-duplicate ticket bought was the one with the winning numbers.

ye but how good wud it be when ur face to face with the other person and theyre like...

"omg this is awesome if the other person doesnt claim we will half their share" then u whip out the other ticket and lol at her and do the ricky gervais dance infront of her. :thumbsup:

ctuk;3230395

Save up a little extra and buy yourself some premium bonds :thumbsup:

I thought that & got £100 worth then saw this

moneysavingexpert.com/sav…or/

works out exactly 0 chance of a win in a year :x

acecatcher3;3230486

ye but how good wud it be when ur face to face with the other person and … ye but how good wud it be when ur face to face with the other person and theyre like..."omg this is awesome if the other person doesnt claim we will half their share" then u whip out the other ticket and lol at her and do the ricky gervais dance infront of her. :thumbsup:

Unclaimed prizes dont get split between winners

happy donkey;3230495

works out exactly 0 chance of a win in a year :x

100% chance of not losing your £100 though (I have £450 worth and have won a massive £50 so far 8-))

ctuk;3230467

incorrect, you have 2 x 1 in 16 million, not 1 in 8 million

You are incorrect
    If you hold 2 different tickets - 2 chances out of 16 million means you have a 1 in 8 million of winning the jackpot with those 2 tickets.

Original Poster

ctuk;3230501

Unclaimed prizes dont get split between winners

wow ur slowly killing my dream ct haha! well i would just hope they didnt know how many winners there were. :thumbsup:

[INDENT]You want to calculate your odds at winning the lottery given:
    [LIST]
    [*]You must choose a sequence of 6 numbers correctly to win.
    [*]The lowest number you can choose is 1
    [*]The highest number you can choose is 49
    [*]A given number can only be chosen once per try (per lottery ticket, etc.)[/LIST]
    [SIZE=4]When you select your 1st number, you have 49 numbers to choose from, and...[INDENT]...a 1 in 49 chance of picking the right one. [SIZE=3](Mathematically, 1 in 49 is represented by the numerical fraction [COLOR=#ff0000]1/49[/COLOR] or 0.020408.)[/SIZE][/INDENT][/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][SIZE=4]When you select your 2nd number, you have 48 numbers to choose from, and...[INDENT]...a 1 in 48 chance of picking the right one. [SIZE=3](Mathematically, 1 in 48 is represented by the numerical fraction [COLOR=#ff0000]1/48[/COLOR] or 0.020833.)[/SIZE][/INDENT][/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][SIZE=4]When you select your 3rd number, you have 47 numbers to choose from, and...[INDENT]...a 1 in 47 chance of picking the right one. [SIZE=3](Mathematically, 1 in 47 is represented by the numerical fraction [COLOR=#ff0000]1/47[/COLOR] or 0.021277.)[/SIZE][/INDENT][/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][SIZE=4]When you select your 4th number, you have 46 numbers to choose from, and...[INDENT]...a 1 in 46 chance of picking the right one. [SIZE=3](Mathematically, 1 in 46 is represented by the numerical fraction [COLOR=#ff0000]1/46[/COLOR] or 0.021739.)[/SIZE][/INDENT][/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][SIZE=4]When you select your 5th number, you have 45 numbers to choose from, and...[INDENT]...a 1 in 45 chance of picking the right one. [SIZE=3](Mathematically, 1 in 45 is represented by the numerical fraction [COLOR=#ff0000]1/45[/COLOR] or 0.022222.)[/SIZE][/INDENT][/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][SIZE=4]When you select your 6th number, you have 44 numbers to choose from, and...[INDENT]...a 1 in 44 chance of picking the right one. [SIZE=3](Mathematically, 1 in 44 is represented by the numerical fraction [COLOR=#ff0000]1/44[/COLOR] or 0.022727.)[/SIZE][/INDENT][/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]In order to win, you have to pick the first number right AND the second number right AND the third number right, etc. In the language of statistics, AND usually means to multiply. [/INDENT][INDENT]So, to figure out your odds of winning, multiply together all of the fractional odds of picking a given number correctly, as stated by the [COLOR=#ff0000]red[/COLOR] fractions above. [/INDENT][INDENT]1/49 × 1/48 × 1/47 × 1/46 × 1/45 × 1/44 = 1/10068347520 [/INDENT][INDENT]So, at this point, your odds of winning are 1 in 10068347520. But, since you can choose your winning numbers in any order, your chances of winning are somewhat better than this. Your chance betters by the number of different ways that a sequence of 6 numbers can be written down, which for 6 numbers is 6! (6 factorial) or 720. Divide 10068347520 by 720 to account for this, to get 13983816. In other words, there are 720 different ways that the 6 numbers you choose can be filled out on your lottery ticket--if you choose your 6 numbers correctly, any of these ways will make a winning ticket.[/INDENT][SIZE=4]That's it! You have a [/SIZE][/INDENT]

[INDENT][SIZE=4][COLOR=#ff0000]1 in 13,983,816[/COLOR] [/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][SIZE=4]chance of winning the lottery you described. [SIZE=2](]How do I pronounce this number?)[/SIZE][/SIZE][/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT]Here are some other odds for the sake of comparison:
    [LIST]
    [*]You have about a 1 in 2,000,000 chance of being struck by lightning.
    [*]A pregnant woman has a 1 in 705,000 chance of giving birth to quadruplets.
    [*]Someone eating an oyster has a 1 in 12,000 chance of finding a pearl inside of it.[/LIST]
    [INDENT]Now, lottery odds can be pretty incomprehensible. How can we possibly have any "feeling" for the number 13,983,816? To help you with this, here's a little experiment you can try to "get a handle on" what a 1 in 13,983,816 chance really means.
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Get a piece of rope or string, that's 39 feet long.
    [*]In a wide open area, arrange the rope or string in a circle, end to end, the best you can.
    [*]Get a single grain of sand or dirt (use tweezers!) and place it anywhere you wish inside the circle.
    [*]Get a second grain of sand. Close your eyes, and "disorient" yourself as to where the grain of sand is that you placed inside of the circle (have someone spin you around or something!).
    [*]While you're inside the circle, drop the second grain of sand from 1 foot up.
    [*]Your chances of hitting the first grain of sand with the second is roughly equal to the odds of "1 in 13,983,816."
    [*]If the rope's length mentioned in #1 is a little unreasonable, for every foot above the circle that you drop the second grain of sand, you can reduce the length of the string by the same amount. For example, if you dropped the second grain of sand from a ladder 10 feet up, you'd need a length of string that is 10 times shorter than the one in #1, or a 39/10 = 3.85236 foot long piece of string.[/LIST]
    [/INDENT]Good luck! And sorry to say that the only way to increase your chances of winning is to buy more tickets! Choosing birthdays, your age, addresses, years, phone numbers, etc. does not help at all![/INDENT][/INDENT]

[INDENT][INDENT]there ya go, and stilllllll I will chuck my £2 in haha in the forlorn hope, as does everyone, that, "It could be you"[/INDENT][/INDENT]
    Crikey thats long sorry :oops:

crd67;3230525

You are incorrect If you hold 2 different tickets - 2 chances out of 16 … You are incorrect If you hold 2 different tickets - 2 chances out of 16 million means you have a 1 in 8 million of winning the jackpot.

so if I buy 8 million tickets I have a 1 in 2 chance? I'm going to start saving, woohoo!:w00t:

Banned

salder21;3230479

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/260378/my-idea-on-playing-the-national-lot … http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/260378/my-idea-on-playing-the-national-lot lol

did u view that link ace? lol

ctuk;3230523

100% chance of not losing your £100 though (I have £450 worth and have w … 100% chance of not losing your £100 though (I have £450 worth and have won a massive £50 so far 8-))

Good point I'll keep my figs Xed :thumbsup:

Original Poster

salder21;3230567

did u view that link ace? lol

sure did haha, just reading thru all the comments now :thinking:

Banned

acecatcher3;3230586

sure did haha, just reading thru all the comments now :thinking:

i know....its moving too fast to keep up with!! lol

half think im stupid

only half?

Original Poster

black gerbil1;3230601

only half?

well to b exact bout tree fiddy

sea wat i did there

lol que

ok im sorry BANG BANG BANG...no im not :thumbsup:

black gerbil1;3230601

only half?

So BG you know about odds 2 tkts with diff numbers or 2 with the same

acecatcher3;3230623

well to b exact bout tree fiddysea wat i did therelol queok im sorry BANG … well to b exact bout tree fiddysea wat i did therelol queok im sorry BANG BANG BANG...no im not :thumbsup:

I didnt laugh untill the last line.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Do you use a case on your iPhone?44
    2. Virgin Media TV56
    3. Tooth extraction99
    4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?611

See more discussions