Groups

My keyboard has broken advice needed

basically the connector bit that goes frm the keyboard into the back of the tower has come out and won't go back in so i need a new keyboard but i cant find it online anywhere, its a logitech cream Y-ST39
    My question is then will any keyboard fit the tower or does it have to be the logitech one that i cant find anywhere
    Thanks for any help

18 Comments

Logitech keyboard can be found here
    micom.co.uk/pp/…tml
    and you can use any keyboard as long as it has the same connector.

Original Poster

thanks for that, hw will i knw if a keybard has the same connector as the one i need, is there a number on the back of the keyboard?

caggarooney;4388904

thanks for that, hw will i knw if a keybard has the same connector as the … thanks for that, hw will i knw if a keybard has the same connector as the one i need, is there a number on the back of the keyboard?

You only get two types of keyboard connectors these days: PS/2 and USB

You know what a USB connector looks like (hopefully), so if it's not this and instead is a round socket (probably purple) on the tower then it's a PS/2. Either look for a PS/2 keyboard or just get a USB one instead.

Original Poster

right i am with you, i didn't know there was only 2 types, so it is the ps//2 one then as its not a usb, so basically i can buy any ps/2 keyboard and it will work then, result, thanks for yr help both

Have you made sure that you tried the ps2 connector the right way. not trying to say your thick but it has to be lined up right. maybe an idea!
    like this

http://ac4.yt-thm-a02.yimg.com/image/42cd5cac182e2a96

Are you sure it wont go back in. There is a little plastic bit on the plug, that has to fit in correctly.
    It's just like a 3 pin plug, it has to go into the socket the right way around.
    Try again

masterruckus;4389106

Have you made sure that you tried the ps2 connector the right way. not … Have you made sure that you tried the ps2 connector the right way. not trying to say your thick but it has to be lined up right. maybe an idea!

A good point :thumbsup: It's got to be aligned correctly.

Original Poster

theres like a plastic covering thing in there like set glue or something, then end has actually come out of the purple bit if yr with me

sounds like it could be fixed but could be tricky. good price for the keyboard in previous posts though

phone up and ask for compensation for the few hours you have not been able to use it.

Make sure its not an old old connector lol.
    Like you used to get on old pentium1 mmx machines.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/kb/const/z_011267din.jpg

Original Poster

its nt snapped, its just sort of come apart it prbably could be put back together but theres lots of plastic set glue in there and i cant get it to fit bk together

Original Poster

thats a good price, just looking on ebay too, i didnt realise i could get any keyboard and it would be compatable

yeh the ps2 ihas been pretty much the standard for quite a few years. there are usb k/b if you prefer

Original Poster

thats great thanks everyone for all yr help i have found this one on play
    play.com/PC/…351 so am going for that one (my other was beige being the only reason)
    I have learnt something new tonight too so thanks x

see this link for installing a keyboard.
    computerhope.com/iss…htm

make sure nothing left from the old connector in the socket.

good luck.

esq3585;4389231

Make sure its not an old old connector lol.Like you used to get on old … Make sure its not an old old connector lol.Like you used to get on old pentium1 mmx machines.

wow, that's an old XT style socket - haven't seen those on a PC for some time! You'd need a non-ATX motherboard (ie an AT) to have a chance of seeing one of those and the power switch would be a proper push on/off style linked directly to the PSU.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions