My labrador killed a baby rabbit

Found 1st Oct 2013
We are really gutted that our 2.5 year old labrador killed a baby rabbit that he met on the field.

I read that it is instinct in dogs to kill small prey but he is not at all aggressive in general, just boisterous.

Our previous labrador never killed anything. He would chase rabbits but then he just sniffs them when he cornered them.

We are so disappointed in our new dog but I guess he is just an animal after all.

Anyone else's dog killed small prey?

64 Comments

Banned

http://24.media.tumblr.com/b2b7893fd305a21b57e0c061645b05b4/tumblr_mty1z4Onnp1r539hzo1_500.png

Well my dog brought down an Elephant once. but it was ok and the Zoo were cool about it too

Original Poster

CookinBat

Well my dog brought down an Elephant once. but it was ok and the Zoo were … Well my dog brought down an Elephant once. but it was ok and the Zoo were cool about it too

the dog or the elephant? are you telling fibs?

He also killed a man praying once, does that count?

Original Poster

CookinBat

He also killed a man praying once, does that count?

your dog sounds like it should be put down.

mutley1

the dog or the elephant? are you telling fibs?

No I never fib especially on here.

Original Poster

CookinBat

No I never fib especially on here.

yes, you are fibbing as a zoo would never allow a dog in. we asked long leet safari park if we could bring our labrador in the car with us and they said no as he would disturb the animals, especially the monkeys who don't need any more excuse to rip people's windscreen wipers off.

poor elephant and man praying...my dog killed bambi

Unusual for a Labrador to do such a thing, they are gundogs which means they are trained, and are instinctively careful with 'prey' as such, they were bread to collect a kill from a gunshot, is your dog hyperactive? - If so, I would suggest some training sessions, because he could attack something a little worse than a rabbit in the future, which would be bad for all parties involved.

Original Poster

aircanman

Unusual for a Labrador to do such a thing, they are gundogs which means … Unusual for a Labrador to do such a thing, they are gundogs which means they are trained, and are instinctively careful with 'prey' as such, they were bread to collect a kill from a gunshot, is your dog hyperactive? - If so, I would suggest some training sessions, because he could attack something a little worse than a rabbit in the future, which would be bad for all parties involved.

he is hyperactive but we have put this down to his age and the fact that he has not been neutered. we plan to neuter him next month which may help him calm down. i would have thought that gun dogs would more likely kill prey?

we have taken him to obedience classes and he has improved a lot but he is still a handful to deal with.

Original Poster

theshepherd83

poor elephant and man praying...my dog killed bambi

liar. i saw bambi on telly only last week.
inb4 your dog killed bambi yesterday.

I trained my rabbit to kill dogs...but they outsmart him sometimes
http://bundycowgirl.webs.com/Information/rabbit_1483166i.jpg

mutley1

yes, you are fibbing as a zoo would never allow a dog in. we asked long … yes, you are fibbing as a zoo would never allow a dog in. we asked long leet safari park if we could bring our labrador in the car with us and they said no as he would disturb the animals, especially the monkeys who don't need any more excuse to rip people's windscreen wipers off.

Recently visited Givskud safari park and Odense Zoo in Denmark. They let dogs in there. But then the Danes aren't like the British.

mutley1

yes, you are fibbing as a zoo would never allow a dog in. we asked long … yes, you are fibbing as a zoo would never allow a dog in. we asked long leet safari park if we could bring our labrador in the car with us and they said no as he would disturb the animals, especially the monkeys who don't need any more excuse to rip people's windscreen wipers off.

Slight aside but they let guide dogs for the blind in. Monkey's went beserk

Original Poster

scrumpypaul

Recently visited Givskud safari park and Odense Zoo in Denmark. They let … Recently visited Givskud safari park and Odense Zoo in Denmark. They let dogs in there. But then the Danes aren't like the British.

did the dogs go berserk and barked at the caged animals? did this annoy the zoo animals?

scrumpypaul

Recently visited Givskud safari park and Odense Zoo in Denmark. They let … Recently visited Givskud safari park and Odense Zoo in Denmark. They let dogs in there. But then the Danes aren't like the British.

The Danes certainly aren't like the British Have you seen Bonbon Land? :O

OT... dog killing a rabbit is just nature.

My two Yorkies kill spiders and make death-defying air dives if a fly gets in. I wouldn't put it past them to kill a rat or small furry as their instincts would kick in although they haven't encountered any as yet.

mutley1

did the dogs go berserk and barked at the caged animals? did this annoy … did the dogs go berserk and barked at the caged animals? did this annoy the zoo animals?

no, there was no aggro. Everything was cool. Only place dogs weren't allowed was in cars in lions compound. Had to place them in kennels at entrance. UK sees itself as a dog loving nation but it has nothing on the Danes, very few places where dogs aren't welcomed.

LizziBear

The Danes certainly aren't like the British Have you seen Bonbon … The Danes certainly aren't like the British Have you seen Bonbon Land? :OOT... dog killing a rabbit is just nature.

i like the sound (?!?) of the farting dog ride.....

We are so disappointed in our new dog but I guess he is just an animal … We are so disappointed in our new dog but I guess he is just an animal after all.

http://cdn.styleforum.net/1/18/181dfe2b_oprah_wow.gif

Banned

magicbeans

MB

where you been at? Got your iphone yet?

2sly

MBwhere you been at? Got your iphone yet?

no...my xperia play fell and is now frozen.

so am using an old lg...no whatsaap! im dying

also had no internet.....back up and running...woop..so for the next week or so will have to harrass the good people of hukd instead

u still got a date of 7-10 oct as well. which one did u go for?

Banned

magicbeans

no...my xperia play fell and is now frozen.so am using an old lg...no … no...my xperia play fell and is now frozen.so am using an old lg...no whatsaap! im dying :(also had no internet.....back up and running...woop..so for the next week or so will have to harrass the good people of hukd insteadu still got a date of 7-10 oct as well. which one did u go for?

32gb in white/silver. Mine is still "preparing for dispatch". Been like that last 24 hours. How long does it take to dispatch (_;)

mutley1

he is hyperactive but we have put this down to his age and the fact that … he is hyperactive but we have put this down to his age and the fact that he has not been neutered. we plan to neuter him next month which may help him calm down. i would have thought that gun dogs would more likely kill prey?we have taken him to obedience classes and he has improved a lot but he is still a handful to deal with.

I have a four year old chocolate lab and he catches pigeons and seagulls in his mouth but he doesn't clamp down on them, normally they flap and he lets them go.
Gun dogs don't kill the prey they retrieve hence the name Labrador retriever.
My lab is bottom of the pecking order and is even scared of the chickens.
Test him with one of those rag pull toys, if he hangs on and doesn't let go do it again and give him a treat straight away before he clamps down, keep trying this and hopefully even if he does try to pick something up in the future he won't kill it,

Mutley, when you say your Lab killed the rabbit, did he rip it to shreds aggressively, or did he pick it up and shake it about? Serious question as it can explain a lot.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 1st Oct 2013

Sounds to me that your dog is not getting enough exercise and when you let it off the lead it goes off in a frenzy, unable to control it'sspent up energy.

Your best bet to stop it murdering or mauling wildlife is to engage the dog in physical agility classes.

A well trained dog is happy and not vicious.

http://i40.tinypic.com/23mfiw.jpg

Edited by: "Mark2111" 1st Oct 2013

2sly

32gb in white/silver. Mine is still "preparing for dispatch". Been like … 32gb in white/silver. Mine is still "preparing for dispatch". Been like that last 24 hours. How long does it take to dispatch (_;)

snap....getting agitated!

mutley1

your dog sounds like it should be put down.

Poor little Johnathon died last week, he managed to choke himself on a pair of my good wifes Knickers, Felicity my wife was absolutely distraught, its just a shame she was wearing them at the time

Pfft, and people say my dog is a bad breed.

Dog must learn empathy

http://i42.tinypic.com/16gy7pc.jpg

do remember wild rabbits are prey animals and do tend to drop dead quite easily from shock,i have heard of baby rabbits dying from being handled by humans.

Banned

http://www.dogsandco.com/Rolled%20leather%20dog%20lead%20brown.jpg

goldmax

For Mutley or the dog?

Our boxer dog made a habit of catching/killing the big fat wood pigeons that frequent our garden. We soon put an end to that by docking him of his balls as punishment. He's now a real angelic little lad - and the pigeons are once again contentedly moping around the garden.

zerospin

Our boxer dog made a habit of catching/killing the big fat wood pigeons … Our boxer dog made a habit of catching/killing the big fat wood pigeons that frequent our garden. We soon put an end to that by docking him of his balls as punishment. He's now a real angelic little lad - and the pigeons are once again contentedly moping around the garden.

You docked his balls?

Couldn't you have taken him to a vet? oO

Banned

Mark2111

For Mutley or the dog?

Haha , the dog !! Not much you can do if Mutley owns the field , if its farmland with a public footpath then dogs should be on a lead or under close control ie. walking at heal , obviously the dog was not under close control for this to happen . Follow the Country Code please .

Original Poster

biddilybah

Mutley, when you say your Lab killed the rabbit, did he rip it to shreds … Mutley, when you say your Lab killed the rabbit, did he rip it to shreds aggressively, or did he pick it up and shake it about? Serious question as it can explain a lot.

no, he had it in his mouth and the rabbit squealed. my oh screamed and hit him on the head so he dropped the rabbit. there was no blood on the rabbit so the force of the grip was probably enough to kill the baby rabbit.

we saw him once with blood on his mouth mind, and he had been in a pheasant field so we suspect he may have bitten a pheasant at that time. he doesn't bite small dogs so it seems he leaves his own kind alone!

Original Poster

Mark2111

Dog must learn empathy

ha ha, this is the spitting image of him, less the bunny ears. X)

Original Poster

momartin

My two Yorkies kill spiders and make death-defying air dives if a fly … My two Yorkies kill spiders and make death-defying air dives if a fly gets in. I wouldn't put it past them to kill a rat or small furry as their instincts would kick in although they haven't encountered any as yet.

my labrador eats spiders and flies but then again so di my previous labrador, who was the gentlest dog you could ever meet.

Banned

A lead is all what's needed /thread
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants