My Laptop hard drive has passed away. Whats the easiest way to extract the data?

Found 1st Sep 2017
My Laptop has died. Its still powering up and I suspect the Hard Drive has failed.

I'd like to try to extract the data using a USB boot disk and see if I'm able to see and transfer any data from the drive or if its completely kaput.

Whats the easiest way of making a USB bootdisc that will allow me to do this?

I'm not going to go to the expense of sending the drive off somewhere. If I can get it cheaply, great, if not, I will just bin it.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
A simple way is to put a linux distro on a USB drive, boot it up and see if you have access to the drive, then copy the contents to a portable drive, there's plenty of good tools to do this easily, I've always used "Universal USB Installer"

Kubuntu is pretty easy to use if your coming from windows and have never used a linux OS.

Failing that your have to resort to some recovery software, personally I would remove the drive and access it from another pc for that.
Original Poster
4Real201611 m ago

A simple way is to put a linux distro on a USB drive, boot it up and see …A simple way is to put a linux distro on a USB drive, boot it up and see if you have access to the drive, then copy the contents to a portable drive, there's plenty of good tools to do this easily, I've always used "Universal USB Installer" Kubuntu is pretty easy to use if your coming from windows and have never used a linux OS.Failing that your have to resort to some recovery software, personally I would remove the drive and access it from another pc for that.

That was what I was saying I wanted to do. But I was after a link with the downloads that are easy to follow. Each one Ive found sounds complicated.
1) download program called 'rufus' - just google it
2) download ISO file of any linux distro (my preferences are either Fedora or Ubuntu
3) make bootable USB drive using Rufus (really easy. Start Rufus, pick up your memory stick and choose linux distro you've just downloaded.
4) in bios on your failed computer (if you cannot just use the hdd in another PC) change BOOT order to booting from USB in forst place*
5) Put memory stick in your PC and power it on
6) start live distro and navigate to data you want to save
7) copy and paste to memory stick/external hdd etc.

*to change boot order you need to access BIOS - to do that follow instructions displayed on screen of your PC when powering it on. It will probably be accessible by tapping either ESC/F2/F8 or F10 during powering up.
You might find Hirens Boot CD is exactly what your looking for.

hirensbootcd.org/dow…ad/
+1 for Hirens then boot into minixp
read the replies from here as i had the same problem and got it solved eventually

hotukdeals.com/dis…019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants