Groups

My laptop is playing up,ad-aware won't scan and malwarebytes won't install!!HELP!!!

Can anyone help out? I don't know what' going on!!

22 Comments

Have you tried running an online scanner such as trend micro housecall just to make sure you dont have a virus etc, or try system retore to the last know date you knew it was working ok?

First, try rebooting the system and see if it works after that.
    If not, do a System Restore.

I had a similar problem yesterday and Skyscanner sorted it out.

Hi reboot it into safe mode with networking.

Then google safemsi

This allows you to start the installer service and will let you install malwarebytes on your machine, update malwarebytes then run it and it'll clear out most of the issues, you can then make sure you have Anti virus installed, and if not you can install it in safe mode.

Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses, I tried that first one -trend micro housecall- but it won't even start a scan!!! so I'm going to do the reboot into safe mode.... which I haven't a clue how to do properly so if I don't reply for a few days you'll know my laptop is f***** lol

As the laptop is booting press and hold your "F8 Key" which should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" as shown below. Use your arrow keys to move to "Safe Mode" and press your Enter key.

I've saved this text from the last time I got a trojan - you should try it:

Important Note: You should print or save these instructions to a local text file on your PC because when the Scan begins, any browser windows that are open will be closed.
    • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
    o If you get a message like SuperAntiSpyware.exe is not a valid Win32 application then try renaming SuperAntiSpyware.exe to SAS.EXE and see if it will run. This error message often occurs due to malware trying to block the installation.
    • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
    • If you get an error message like The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation then see this possible fix which will help for some versions of Windows superantispyware.com/sup…=50
    • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". ( If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
    • The first time you run it, it will ask you whether you want to Enable Automatic Update Checking. This is enabled by default. Since so many people come here complaining about slow start up, I suggest that you disable this now. If you later decide to keep SAS, you should enable automatic updating to make sure you are always up to date.
    • On the next form, you should allow diagnostic reports to be sent but this option is up to you.
    • On the next form fro Home Page protection, you should select Do Not Protect . We do this at this time because we do not want anything to get in the way of cleanup. Since are coming here for malware removal, your home page could be currently set to a malware link and we don't want to block fixing of it.
    • Now physically unplug your cable to the internet (even if you have dial-up, unplug modem)
    • In SUPERAntiSpyware under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
    • Click the Scanning Control tab.
    • Under Scanner Options make sure that only the following are Unchecked ( make sure all others are checked ):
    o Scan only know file types
    o Scan for tracking cookies
    o Display scan option in Explorer context (right click) menu
    • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
    • Back on the main screen, under Scan for Harmful Software click Scan your computer.
    • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive and any other Fixed Drives in your PC.
    • On the right, under Complete Scan, choose Perform Complete Scan.
    • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
    o NOTE: If you get a blue screen type crash when trying to run the scan then after reboot, configure the below options and rescan
    o Run SuperAntiSpyware
     In SUPERAntiSpyware under Configuration and Preferences, click the Preferences button.
     Click the Scanning Control tab.
     Under Scanner Options uncheck the below two options
     Use Kernel Direct File Access (recommended)
     Use Kernel Direct Registry Access (recommended)
     Then try doing a new Complete. If it still crashes, just skip SUPERAntispyware and continue with the other instructions. If the scan runs, continue on with the below steps.
    • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
    • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
    • A notification will appear that Quarantine and Removal is Complete. Click OK and then click the Finish button to return to the main menu.
    • If asked if you want to reboot, click Yes.
    • Reboot into normal Windows boot mode
    • Now plug your cable to the internet back in.
    • At this point if you run into any problems where your internet connection appears to be broken, perform the below sub steps otherwise skip to the next main step about getting the log from SUPERAntiSpyware:
    o Click on the Repairs Tab.
    o Click on Repair broken Network Connection (WinSock LSP Chain)
    o and then click on Perform Repair
    • To retrieve the removal information ( the log )after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    o Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    o Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    o If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    o Although the logs are automatically save in a folder for SUPERAntiSpyware, you may want to save the log somewhere you can easily locate it. We suggest using an informative filename like SASlog.txt
    o Please attach the Scan Log results to your next reply whether it finds anything or not. This way we no that the correct updated version of the program has been run.
    • Click Close to exit the program.

Original Poster

Hiya,
    I did the scan in safemode, it took me a while to find the safemsi programme!! but the scan came back that there was nothing found, but my laptop is still playing up. could there be a virus that it's not showing?

Yes. Try my suggestion above - it might take a while, but it works - or you could ignore it.

Original Poster

moob;4614570

Yes. Try my suggestion above - it might take a while, but it works - or … Yes. Try my suggestion above - it might take a while, but it works - or you could ignore it.

I'm just doing it now thank you!!! It's shown up with 12 infections so far, I got it off download.com is that ok? is that the right one?

midjet666;4614602

I'm just doing it now thank you!!! It's shown up with 12 infections so … I'm just doing it now thank you!!! It's shown up with 12 infections so far, I got it off download.com is that ok? is that the right one?

download.com is fine filehippo is good too

Original Poster

slinkydonkey;4614655

download.com is fine filehippo is good too

good, I've used it loads before but just worried that it wasn't the right programme!!

midjet666;4614602

I'm just doing it now thank you!!! It's shown up with 12 infections so … I'm just doing it now thank you!!! It's shown up with 12 infections so far, I got it off download.com is that ok? is that the right one?

Yep.

Just remember to follow the instructions carefully - especially the section about disconnecting from the internet.

midjet666;4614679

good, I've used it loads before but just worried that it wasn't the right … good, I've used it loads before but just worried that it wasn't the right programme!!

Before you run the SuperAntiSpyware download and run CCleaner first (**** Cleaner) ]http//ww…er/

Original Poster

moob;4614718

Yep.Just remember to follow the instructions carefully - especially the … Yep.Just remember to follow the instructions carefully - especially the section about disconnecting from the internet.

I didn't read it through and I 'mstill connected to the internet....so far it's found 308 infections :?

Original Poster

slinkydonkey;4614739

Before you run the SuperAntiSpyware download and run CCleaner first (**** … Before you run the SuperAntiSpyware download and run CCleaner first (**** Cleaner) ]http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

you all should hav told me to read everything through and do it in order!!!!!!!!!!!! pmsl I've messed it up now lol

midjet666;4614798

you all should hav told me to read everything through and do it in … you all should hav told me to read everything through and do it in order!!!!!!!!!!!! pmsl I've messed it up now lol

Sorry didn't mean to confuse things but many virus hide in temp files..CCleaner removes them

Original Poster

slinkydonkey;4614840

Sorry didn't mean to confuse things but many virus hand on in temp … Sorry didn't mean to confuse things but many virus hand on in temp files..CCleaner removes them

I'll have to do it after this scan! Thank you all so much for the help you've given me so far :thumbsup:

yeah, run ccleaner after the scan - and disconnect NOW!

Original Poster

moob;4614927

yeah, run ccleaner after the scan - and disconnect NOW!

right I did the first scan and it took ages to complete because this comodo internet security kept popping up but sorted it in the end :thumbsup: now doing ccleaner and it's cleared it all thank you.
    is there anything else that I should do now? and thank you. Also why did I have to d/c from internet? just wondering!!

midjet666;4615623

right I did the first scan and it took ages to complete because this … right I did the first scan and it took ages to complete because this comodo internet security kept popping up but sorted it in the end :thumbsup: now doing ccleaner and it's cleared it all thank you.is there anything else that I should do now? and thank you. Also why did I have to d/c from internet? just wondering!!

I would try malwarebytes again make sure you do a update then do a quick scan ..if that finds nothing should be ok

midjet666;4615623

right I did the first scan and it took ages to complete because this … right I did the first scan and it took ages to complete because this comodo internet security kept popping up but sorted it in the end :thumbsup: now doing ccleaner and it's cleared it all thank you.is there anything else that I should do now? and thank you. Also why did I have to d/c from internet? just wondering!!

You need to d/c as a lot of trojans can access the internet while you're trying to remove them and reinstall themselves.

As long as everything seems to be ok - you should be fine. But remember to run this sorta prog every month or so - dependant on what kinda sites you're visiting!:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1020
      2. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1534
      3. word association Game72944192
      4. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277963

See more discussions