My light bulb popped & now lights don’t work

Found 13th May
Hi all,

My kitchen light bulb suddenly popped and now none of the lights work on my first floor. However, lights on my second and third floor work. Any ideas why this happened? I’m going to call an enectrishon tomorrow so he can fix it.

Thanks.
Community Updates
AskLamp
Top comments
Try the fuse box? If it’s working on other floors the switch probably needs flicking for the affected floor
52 Comments
Try the fuse box? If it’s working on other floors the switch probably needs flicking for the affected floor
Don't call an electrician!!! Blooming heck you'll b paying them to change your fuse wire which is about 70 pence for loads of it.

What does your fuse box look like? Try take a pic if you can. The part with all the pegs/ switches on. Mines old and black yours maybe different. It's probably just the fuse wire inside the box.

Take a pic to show is the fuse box
Edited by: "LeahsMintytoutou" 13th May
As a guess you have halogen downlighters in your kitchen. They like to trip the fuse/trip switch when they blow.

As everyone else has said, check the circuit breaker/ fuse box. If not let us know where you live. I’m sure anyone near will pop round for half the going rate to pillage your wallet/purse.
Like the others said, check the fusebox. If a light bulb blows, it often trips the fuse. If it's a newish one they will all be labelled
If you're forced to get an Electrician out, make sure you get a couple of estimates. My friend needs a load of Conifers cutting down, they are about house height. One bloke said £1000 and the next bloke said £550 for exactly the same job.
There is a story about fray bentos trying to find a way if changing their tinned pies because some people don’t know how to open them with a can opener couldn’t believe it and then come here and see this and.....:(
eslick12 m ago

There is a story about fray bentos trying to find a way if changing their …There is a story about fray bentos trying to find a way if changing their tinned pies because some people don’t know how to open them with a can opener couldn’t believe it and then come here and see this and.....:(

Yeah but not everybody is old and has life experience. Given OP can't even spell electrician i would guess they haven't come across this situation before. I was probably about ten before I learned how to change a light bulb.
nandito48 m ago

If you're forced to get an Electrician out, make sure you get a couple of …If you're forced to get an Electrician out, make sure you get a couple of estimates. My friend needs a load of Conifers cutting down, they are about house height. One bloke said £1000 and the next bloke said £550 for exactly the same job.

Probably because one bloke has public liability insurance and the other one doesn't, ask to see a copy of it and his qualifications before letting the cheapest bloke loose with a chainsaw, especially if the trees are close to any buildings.
*electrician

thank you all for your responses. i’ve taken a pic of my fuse box.
33792455-sK9Uq.jpg
33792455-aXAmM.jpg
33792497-xHfHe.jpg
33792497-Mrff3.jpg

Do you not have anything that looks like one of the above somewhere?
trivium9 m ago

*electricianthank you all for your responses. i’ve taken a pic of my fuse b …*electricianthank you all for your responses. i’ve taken a pic of my fuse box. [Image] [Image]

That is not a fuse box, a fuse box or consumer unit will have loads of fuses in with black switches. The one tripped, will be the opposite way to the rest
trivium10 m ago

*electricianthank you all for your responses. i’ve taken a pic of my fuse b …*electricianthank you all for your responses. i’ve taken a pic of my fuse box. [Image] [Image]

That’s your meter, there will be another box connected somewhere near probably or could be in another cupboard. It will either have switches on it or another cover normally that says fuses if the cover isn’t on it will have 6 or more rectangles in it.
Ukwomble got the pictures
trivium11 m ago

that's the smart meter by the looks of it
Op the two grey wires coming out of the meter probably go through to your fuse box.
Edited by: "eslick" 13th May
33792529-VtLfP.jpg
33792529-pL15G.jpg
omg this is so embarrassing i’m so sorry i’m posting the new one now
sorry it’s dirty af
One of those will have blown, think likely to be white but not 100% sure. Switch whole fusebox off and pull out 1 by one to check wire inside
33792554-tmdEC.jpg
Should be wire running through where arrow is, if blown you'll need some fusewire to repair
Edited by: "ukwomble" 13th May
You have the old box you will need some fuse wire the right size. Switch off the electric and take out the white ones one will probably have no wire in it the other will. You need to replace the wire it’s a bit fiddly but doable but you need fuse wire which i suspect you won’t have
Edited by: "eslick" 13th May
wow that's a really old style electrical fuse board.
as above, check the wire in each fuse and check for a blown one. you'll need to source a replacement.

it might be worth getting an electrician to quote to update the electrical system to MCBs
Edited by: "adamspencer95" 13th May
adamspencer951 m ago

wow that's a really old style electrical fuse board.as above, check the …wow that's a really old style electrical fuse board.as above, check the wire in each fuse and check for a blown one. you'll need to source a replacement.it might be worth getting an electrician to quote to update the electrical system to MCBs

Nothing wrong with these millions have them but sure consumer units are easier but they aren’t cheap to replace.
eslick4 m ago

Nothing wrong with these millions have them but sure consumer units are …Nothing wrong with these millions have them but sure consumer units are easier but they aren’t cheap to replace.

hence why i said 'quote'

it can be inconvenient to have the glass fuses at a time like this so its always worth at least scoping out the work. if the fuse board is that old it's likely the entire house wiring is just as old and likely degraded
you guys are 100% right. when we got our smart meter installed last month the engineer was shocked and warned us to change it to a new one after we explained we’ve been having electric issues there and then. should i replace it completely or change one of the wires as advised by member above ?
also do you know the best fuse box to buy
The wire is fine to replace, you will just need a screwdriver to access the inside of "switch" to replace
Edited by: "ukwomble" 13th May
trivium3 m ago

I'm no electrician but I think this would be the sort of thing to look for, has 6 switches matching your original:
screwfix.com/p/b…74g
Video for you to help with wire replacement:

trivium7 m ago

trivium7 m ago

Get some quotes, you will be looking at £300+ from quotes we had including the required certificates which you sometimes have to ask for them to quote as some electricians don’t think to quotes this but it’s needed.
adamspencer959 m ago

hence why i said 'quote'it can be inconvenient to have the glass fuses at …hence why i said 'quote'it can be inconvenient to have the glass fuses at a time like this so its always worth at least scoping out the work. if the fuse board is that old it's likely the entire house wiring is just as old and likely degraded

Yes but that will scare the Op who knows nothing about electrics. The fuses will be wire not glass.
If you're lucky , your local shop may sell fuse wire, quite often seen it in newsagents around my way behind the counter amongst other random things
The two fuses on the left with white dots should be lighting. You require 5 amp fuse wire for lighting circuits.

Turn of the power before touching the fuses. You really should have turned off the mains switch before removing the consumer unit cover.

(The blue dot fuse is probably for a hot water cylinder immersion heater the red ones will be ring mains and the red nearest the switch looks like it might be for an electric cooker)

Oh and leave the dust alone, the fuse holders may contain asbestos.
Edited by: "melted" 13th May
ukwomble58 m ago

I'm no electrician but I think this would be the sort of thing to look …I'm no electrician but I think this would be the sort of thing to look for, has 6 switches matching your original:https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-12-module-6-way-populated-high-integrity-dual-rcd-consumer-unit/4674g

Probably worth getting one with room for a couple of unused modules, just in case you ever want another circuit added. Mind you, I'm no electrician either.

A modern consumer unit with an RCD, or preferably two RCD is well worth having.
Edited by: "melted" 13th May
It's not a modern unit with switches so you manually need to change fuse out I think but try flipping that one switch off and on first might work , I'm sure there a guide on it on the internet , definitely worth having a modern RCD you just flip a switch and your good to go
Edited by: "_Enzo_" 13th May
eslick2 h, 38 m ago

Get some quotes, you will be looking at £300+ from quotes we had including …Get some quotes, you will be looking at £300+ from quotes we had including the required certificates which you sometimes have to ask for them to quote as some electricians don’t think to quotes this but it’s needed. Yes but that will scare the Op who knows nothing about electrics. The fuses will be wire not glass.

apologies - i thought it was the version with the glass filament fuses like older style automotive

i think a more modern consumer unit would be best and not rediculously expensive as long as the rest of the wiring is OK
adamspencer9524 m ago

apologies - i thought it was the version with the glass filament fuses …apologies - i thought it was the version with the glass filament fuses like older style automotivei think a more modern consumer unit would be best and not rediculously expensive as long as the rest of the wiring is OK

It’s expensive quotes come in from £200+ We had quotes over £350 and that’s not including the certificate needed, when you google it it can be even more think it’s was over £500 mentioned.When you look at the cost of the consumer unit itself it’s cheap, add on the labour and certificate and it’s seems expensive.
eslick9 h, 53 m ago

It’s expensive quotes come in from £200+ We had quotes over £350 and tha …It’s expensive quotes come in from £200+ We had quotes over £350 and that’s not including the certificate needed, when you google it it can be even more think it’s was over £500 mentioned.When you look at the cost of the consumer unit itself it’s cheap, add on the labour and certificate and it’s seems expensive.

Shouldn't the certificate be included in the job? I would imagine that you were dealing with a cowboy
Try mumsnet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants