My MINT credit card ripped off for £1000.00

18 replies
Found 6th Feb 2009
Just had a guy from Mint credit card phone up ( 20:41 ).
He was querying some transactions on my card.
I haven't made any for over 1 month now.
He reeled off nearly £1000.00 worth of transactions, and non of them were made by me.
How can this happen when, a, the card hasen't been out of my sight
b, I haven't even used it for over 1 month.

Card will be cancelled and a new one issued to me, transactions cancelled and nothing to pay.

How do these scum bags do it?
Thankfully a happy ending for me.

18 Comments

my parents watch their credit card transcations online avidly. They get werid transcations - hotels and tvs. Theey ring Goldfish who reassure them that they won't be charged but are "watching" the activity.

My parents have never had to pay for this and it has dissappeared from there online statements after a few days.

I think this happens more often than we think, and you should be ok, if you ring and talk to them.

brutal had a grand nicked out my bank last week so know how you must be feeling....

Banned

do u use it on the net at all?

Original Poster

ODB_69;4307891

do u use it on the net at all?

No.
As I said, it hasn't been used for over 1 month now, anywhere.

You may have had your card cloned, It takes about 3 seconds when you hand it over. Somewhere you've used it might have thrown away a receipt or log file.
I work as a fraud investigator, it happens all the time for more reasons than you can imagine. One reason I will never take out a credit card....

u know before the month u didnt use it, did u go to a restuarant and use it??

I almost had this done to me once.

And when I was talking to the fraud advisor on the phone I told them that I had only used it twice in a year which he could see from the info I was giving him, once with BA to book a flight and once to book my airport parking, that was it.

When I asked how this was possible for someone else to get my details he told me basically it can happen by chance, what the fraudsters do is simply generate the numbers in the credit card number format and try different expiry dates and usually with small cost transactions to start with to 'Test' the card as he put it, if the small transaction clears then its open season on your card until the limit is reached and breached.....and you may never know about it until you get the call like OP says.

This has just happened to me but with a marks and spencers credit card. A small amount had been taken on my account thankfully it was flagged up by the card company. My card has always been in my possession but I use it online all the time. I always think I am careful when shopping online but obviously not this time.

we had a credit card delivered the other day that we did not even apply for i know so because i move the credit card debt about and it not due to move again till september, so i wouldnt look at getting a credit card yet, yet alone apply for one.

It was with barclays and the woman said what they do is use your details and try to get your mail redirected before the card is sent out to you, then you dont get none of the letters/statements etc etc and know nothing about it. She said this is what someone had planned to do but they couldnt intercept the mail in time, quite scary really.

Banned

acecatcher3;4307945

u know before the month u didnt use it, did u go to a restuarant and use … u know before the month u didnt use it, did u go to a restuarant and use it??

yeh some people in restuarants skim cards. you gotta be careful

happened to a guy at work recently, i took a phone call from virgin for him and all in all there had been a suspicious purchase in Thailand, considering we are in Cumbria it shows that these details, once aquired, are sold/passed all over the world

Banned

Must be the card !!! Maybe their security?????

i have a few credit card from American express to sainsurys credit card . None has ever been used except my sainsburys credit card ~ Twice !! 1st time someone got a TV from tesco!!! and the other time in USA for a job seeking magazine!!! .

A girl at work had it happen, they sent here a email she answered with all details, they upped her credit limit on normal acc and credit card and wiped the account. When she contacted the bank they said they would sort it as it was all being done internal (so basically somebody at the bank had nicked her money. How dodgy???

We had this happen on our Credit Card - it would appear that when we used it in a shop the card details were noted, and then after a few days the card details were used to try & pay for purchases on the internet.

Fortunately the CC company were switched on & rang us to ask if we were trying to use the card. All fraudulent transactions were refused, & we didn't lose out. As we rarely use the card we even managed to pinpoint the likely 'culprit' shop, for which we were thanked.

Had mine cloned, at the local petrol station although couldn't prove it. Didn't have my debit and used my cc for the first time in 6 months - 2 weeks later get a call from the bank asking about several large cash withdrawls in Italy :x Luckily got all money back.

Original Poster

acecatcher3;4307945

u know before the month u didnt use it, did u go to a restuarant and use … u know before the month u didnt use it, did u go to a restuarant and use it??

Ha Ha, I wish I could afford a restaurant.
No, I'm a single parent and don't have anyone to go out eating with ( sob sob ).
This card, if I remember rightly, was only ever used online but I've stopped doing that with all but one card since I got made redundant so that I could clear them all down.
This was a zero balance outstanding card. :thumbsup:

StevenA2000_uk;4307952

I almost had this done to me once.And when I was talking to the fraud … I almost had this done to me once.And when I was talking to the fraud advisor on the phone I told them that I had only used it twice in a year which he could see from the info I was giving him, once with BA to book a flight and once to book my airport parking, that was it.When I asked how this was possible for someone else to get my details he told me basically it can happen by chance, what the fraudsters do is simply generate the numbers in the credit card number format and try different expiry dates and usually with small cost transactions to start with to 'Test' the card as he put it, if the small transaction clears then its open season on your card until the limit is reached and breached.....and you may never know about it until you get the call like OP says.

This is exactly what the credit card company said.
There was a bill on there for £1.00 first.

One thing I thought was bad though, was the way the guy started the conversation.
It was something along the lines of " Do you have a few minutes to answer some security questions" or something like that.
I initially said no and was going to hang up but something inside said no, listen to the guy. I'm glad I did.
But he should have said " We think some ar**hole is using your card, can you help us out".
That would have got my attention.

Still, I'm not out of pocket, so all's well that ends well. :thumbsup:

Hope you didnt give out your 3 digit security code off the back of your card. Here is the detail of an email I received warning of something very similar to this.

This one is pretty slick since they provide Y O U with all the information, except the one piece they want.
Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it. This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard Telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself.

One of our employees was called on Wednesday from "VISA", and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard".

The scam works like this: Person calling says, "This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank) did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for £497.99 from a Marketing company based in London?" When you say "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?"

You say "yes". The caller continues - "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on the back of your card (0800-VISA) and ask for Security.

You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?"

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works the caller then says, "I need to verify you are in possession of your card." He'll ask you to "turn your card over and look for some numbers." There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, "That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?" After you say, "No," the caller then thanks you and states, "Don't hesitate to call back if you do", and hangs up.

You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the Card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 was charged to our card.

Hope this didnt happen to you. Maybe it'll help warn others too.

In the past i've clicked on deals links on other sites and its had the person who posted its details in from when they went most of the way through with a transaction, usually its just name/address etc but on a couple of sites has included card details, not happened for a long time though as https sections are better now and the security layers are better covered.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions