Posted 23 December 2008

my parrot has eaten chocolate do u think he will be ok?

went to give my parrot a kiss and noticed his beak smelt of chocolate then i noticed there was a wrapper on the floor so whilst i was out of the room he must have swung across my curtains from his cage onto the xmas tree and eaten one of the coins,he seems ok but ive read its poisinous,would it be dangerous in that amount?
Community Updates
New Comment

31 Comments

sorted by

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

give him a peanut, it will come out a treat
    dont know much about parrots so cant help but i hope he is ok
    Depends. Some parrots (dont know if it applies to all) dont have a certain chemical/enzyme to break down food stuffs like chocolate. I'd keep a watch just in case, but if there is any sign wavering from normal behaviour I'd take it to a vet.

Cheers.
    i hope he is OK too - the following site says what to look out for and milk chocolate is less dangerous -
    oldworldaviaries.com/tex…tml

Generally, the sweeter the chocolate (more sugar), the less theobromine present (milk chocolate contains about 1-2 mg of theobromine per gram, dark unsweetened chocolate may contain as much as 15-16 mg per gram). Despite this, no chocolate should be given to birds. Signs of chocolate toxicity include: hyperactivity, vomiting, diarrhea, heart arrhythmias, seizures, dark colored droppings and ...

Just read that if treatment needed, it should be within the first 2 hours - I'm sure a vet will know if a coin size is dangerous or not.
    I'd call your local vet. There's always an emergency number and I'm sure they can answer your questions.
    edjaned;3849501

i dont know his weight im useless with weights but the choc was a … i dont know his weight im useless with weights but the choc was a chocolate coin size

I think it should be ok, go here and find the weight of your bird ]LINK

But I was looking and those coins are around 3-5g each so if your bird is over 35g in weight (as it takes a 1/7 of the animals body weight to harm them) then you should be fine.

Does it tell you on the link above the weight of your parrot, I would be pretty sure it is a lot more than 35g....
    skusey;3849260

give him a peanut, it will come out a treat

LOL :-D
    Hope your parrots ok
    I wouldn't worry about it, my grey has helped himself to a small amount before and had no problems. Stop stressing, he'll be fine Just make sure going forward it isn't hanging round as think larger quantities might warrant a trip to your avian vet.
    Ew, you tried to slip the tongue into your parrot? I used to know a girl whose little brother did stuff like that to the family dogs.
    Author
    dxx;3850123

Ew, you tried to slip the tongue into your parrot? I used to know a girl … Ew, you tried to slip the tongue into your parrot? I used to know a girl whose little brother did stuff like that to the family dogs.

that is rank,no i dont slip my tounge "Into" the parrot thats just wrong,i admit i do give him a little peck on the beak though,he loves it :oops:
    Author
    yes i will definatly
    he seems his normal self picking keys of my keyboard etc
    Hi,

I am not bird expert but found this info, hope it helps:
    Is chocolate really toxic to parrots and other animals or is this just one of those rumors that gets spread around on the Internet? The following article takes a balanced look at the subject of chocolate toxicity. Written by a former vet assistant and breeder.

It is correct that very small amounts of chocolate will not kill your bird.

However, chocolate IS toxic — equally so to mammals, birds, and humans. It takes approximately 1 pound of chocolate to kill 7 pounds of dog, cat, bird, human, ferret, etc. By this ratio, the average human would have to eat about 19 or 20 pounds of chocolate to be affected!!…..but a 5 pound Yorkie is in serious trouble if it eats most of a 1-pound box of chocolate candy.

Your quaker or other small bird, however, is in danger if it eats only 1/2 - 1 oz. of chocolate, depending on its weight. However, MOST of the chocolate we eat is not pure chocolate, or cocoa, so there is some leeway. The vet I used to work for sometimes gave Buddy the Mealy Amazon an m&m, which he dearly loved, but warned me that a whole m&m was too much for one of my mini-macaws, who are close to quakers in size.

Note: At least part of choc's toxicity is due to caffeine…which most people don't realize it contains. Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, tea, coffee, etc. should also not be given to birds for the same reason.
    ________________________________________________________---

Hope your parrot is ok......
    Author
    i dont know his weight im useless with weights but the choc was a chocolate coin size
    Isn't anyone else worried about the parrot-kissing going on?!
    next thing he'll ask for is a hazelnut praline
    The sketch:

A customer enters a pet shop.

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you
    show...

(owner hits the cage)

Owner: There, he moved!

Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!

Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour
    ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?

Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!

Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the
    first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and
    VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

Owner: No no! 'E's pining!

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
    rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
    bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(pause)

Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh,
    we're right out of parrots.

Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.

Owner: I got a slug.

(pause)

Mr. Praline: Pray, does it talk?

Owner: Nnnnot really.

Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)

Mr. Praline: Well.

(pause)

Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?

Mr. Praline: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.

went to give my parrot a kiss

WTF?
    at least it wasn't another chunk of a Sky TV engineer's head.
    3849819-klCAK

has he been watching your poundwise programmes too?
    kippy;3849819

has he been watching your poundwise programmes too?

Dunno about that but has there been any change
    just saw this ...
    stuff.co.nz/stu…tml

[image missing]

Greedy parrot suffers death by chocolate

oops sorry didnt realise it might be quite dangerous ...
    "It explains that cocoa beans are rich in caffeine and
    its chemical relatives, collectively called methylxanthines."

parrotrescuewales.me.uk/

and see NOTE at bottom left of page:
    "We DON'T allow our Parrots to eat chocolate
    or drink tea, coffee or alcohol as it is harmful to them."
    Author
    Tez131;3849588

I think it should be ok, go here and find the weight of your bird … I think it should be ok, go here and find the weight of your bird ]LINKBut I was looking and those coins are around 3-5g each so if your bird is over 35g in weight (as it takes a 1/7 of the animals body weight to harm them) then you should be fine.Does it tell you on the link above the weight of your parrot, I would be pretty sure it is a lot more than 35g....

he is an african grey so weight is 380-554g
    Author
    AberBargoed;3850025

I wouldn't worry about it, my grey has helped himself to a small amount … I wouldn't worry about it, my grey has helped himself to a small amount before and had no problems. Stop stressing, he'll be fine Just make sure going forward it isn't hanging round as think larger quantities might warrant a trip to your avian vet.

thanks i feel much better now,i can go to bed instead of just being sat here watching him sleep (as he normally does at this time) but then a niggling thought he is not sleeping he is slipping into a coma,and saying what was that noise he made then? :oops:
    Author
    The JFK;3849670

WTF?

lol no tounges are involved
    You aren't alone anyway -

theperch.net/dis…221

Just keep an eye on him, but sure you have nothing to worry about
    is he buzzing?
    Author
    he seems fine today
    That is good to hear
    So if I put out chocolate peanuts for the pigeons hat keep poo'ing on my car They might stay in their nest the next day and I can polish it safely?
    Gives them a bit of an upset tummy apparently, so they'll probably make even more mess - if that's possible .........