My PC got stuck on BIOS screen :(

Found 12th Feb 2010
Well ive had a Dell vostro 410 for aobut a year an a half now all been gonig fine then this morning it decided it wasnt going past the BIOS screen.

Oppened it up and checked all connections, nothing was loose, gave it a little clean and then it did boot fine.

Anyhoo any guesses at what was wrong, could have jsut been the conenctions but ive not moved it or anythnig would be strange, im thinking my HDD might be on its last legs

14 Comments

Might be..
Make sure S.M.A.R.T. is enabled in the BIOS, might warn you of imeninent HDD failure.
Passable the BIOS battery is gone, though it should last longer than 1.5 years. Is the computer clock date/time still ok? If the battery goes sometimes the boot order resets to defaults..
Run a disk-check on your boot drive to check for errors.

Banned

did you remove the plug from the psu input socket? This may be what fixed it.

you had a blank CD/DVD in the drive or a USB pen in....

It was stuck trying to check to see if it could boot from it...

Probably a blank DVD/CD.

Original Poster

Thankyou for your advice, how do I run a disk check on me HDD?

As for the other questions I mean the BIOS, on dells it comes up with the Dell logo and BIOS revision on boot, thats where it froze.

I did unplug the pc completely, dunno how that could fix it.

And finally it wasnt DVD or USB, for a start there where non plugged in and my boot order is changed anyway from the default USB order, mine always boots to HDD anyway.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

WinterSoldier5;7824718

Thankyou for your advice, how do I run a disk check on me HDD?

Normally you have to download some software to do it from the website of the manufaturer of the disk drive.

Not related to your problem, but there is also a disk consistency check built into Windows. In My Computer right click one of the drive partitions, select Properties, click on the Tools tab, Click Check Now... Place a check mark against Automatically fix file system errors and click Start. Alternatively if you are familiar with the command line do a "fsutil dirty set c:" and reboot.

WinterSoldier5;7824718

I did unplug the pc completely, dunno how that could fix it.

That could well be it. Wouldn't be the first time I've encountered hardware that requires removal of power for a couple of minutes to force it to do a full reset.

From what I've read, random things can cause a PC to manfulction - so more than likely something random.

I've heard stories where the keyboard has been the cause!

Tim

Banned

timothyw9;7826911

From what I've read, random things can cause a PC to manfulctionTim

Tim, next time you read something, I suggest you keep it to yourself until you are sure its not absolute pointless garbage.

Banned

WinterSoldier5;7824718

Thankyou for your advice, how do I run a disk check on me HDD?As for the … Thankyou for your advice, how do I run a disk check on me HDD?As for the other questions I mean the BIOS, on dells it comes up with the Dell logo and BIOS revision on boot, thats where it froze.I did unplug the pc completely, dunno how that could fix it.And finally it wasnt DVD or USB, for a start there where non plugged in and my boot order is changed anyway from the default USB order, mine always boots to HDD anyway.

I have had similar problems with various PC's not getting past POST. A soft reset didnt fix it but a hard one did where I physically unplugged the PC for about 30 seconds. Same applied for BOOTMGR not found problems.

Original Poster

My internet is running insanly slow now aswell, could it be related at all. I mean its taking 2 minutes to open a google page, it cant be the ISP either because its taking even longer than that when connecting to my router. The actually router page is taking me 30 seconds to get a login screen and then a further couple of minutes to open a page. Its ridiculous.

Banned

Have you messed with any settings in bios? I had a problem like this and it took me hours just to boot up Found out that i changed the cpu settings in bios to something like compatible. So maybe its that?

Original Poster

Have only touched hardware :-(

Banned

WinterSoldier5;7829915

Have only touched hardware :-(

Blood out a stone time again lol

why didnt you mention you've messed with hardware in the first place? :thinking:

Lets go back to the start then

what EXACTLY have you done since it was working fine till now? :-D

Original Poster

I see where the confusion has arisen from, I thought seanbwfc meant had I changed BIOS settings since the problem had occured and been fixed, not before.
Ive only touched hardware after it had failed from the dell screen, even that was just checking connections and I know what im doing :thumbsup: Ive changed no other settings or devices, jsut checked connections and gave it a slight clean AFTER issues. Before then ive done nothing since last clean.

It is fine now, there are no more issues, the point of this topic was merly to find possible causes, not fixes.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771946
    2. SKY Q - Retentions - 18 month contract - 18 month deal79
    3. Ashes thread(prizes)11
    4. Is Black Friday a big con!2028

See more discussions