Groups

My PC won't start - please help

Hi,

Last night I partitioned my HDD to install Ubuntu so I could dual boot with Vista. However, as I couldn't get any sound to work, I deleted the partition it was in and now my PC won't start up.

When I power it on, it displays the Set Up and Boot Menu for a few seconds then tells me 'GRUB loading...Error 22. That's as far as it goes.

My PC is a Dell Dimension E520. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

14 Comments

It's something to do with your bootloader.

Original Poster

Is there anything I can do about it?

quite possibly, lol. I'm not great with this type of thing, Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Boot from the Vista install disc and choose the option to repair the HDD - it'll rewrite the boot-sector and MBR to use BCD.

Xb0xGuru;5639199

Boot from the Vista install disc and choose the option to repair the HDD … Boot from the Vista install disc and choose the option to repair the HDD - it'll rewrite the boot-sector and MBR to use BCD.

The MBR, those where the letters I was trying to think of, lol.

yes you need a nice new MBR so it will load properly.

Original Poster

Alas I don't have an installation disc. When I've had to reinstall Vista before, I've done it through the Vista image stored in the OS partition, which I can normally access via F8 at start up, but the error stops me from doing that. this time

Original Poster

I just remembered I've got Windows 7 RC on disc. I think I'll load that so that I can at least get the PC going and then try to solve things. what does MBR to use BCD mean?

windhoek;5639318

I just remembered I've got Windows 7 RC on disc. I think I'll load that … I just remembered I've got Windows 7 RC on disc. I think I'll load that so that I can at least get the PC going and then try to solve things. what does MBR to use BCD mean?

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ord

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ata

Bit quick to give up on Ubuntu! Did you even check the forums for how to set up the soundcard?

You could always reinstall it and it will rebuild the Grub boot manager for you ;-)

Original Poster

jah128;5639357

Bit quick to give up on Ubuntu! Did you even check the forums for how to … Bit quick to give up on Ubuntu! Did you even check the forums for how to set up the soundcard?You could always reinstall it and it will rebuild the Grub boot manager for you ;-)

You may be right about giving up on Ubuntu a bit too soon. Nevertheless, I like your idea of re-installing Ubuntu and checking out the forums. If I can, I will.

Original Poster

Installing Windows 7 RC seems to have done the trick, I can now dual boot with Vista and Windows 7. My next step is to reinstall Ubuntu and find a solution for my soundcard to work.

Thanks + rep :thumbsup:

windhoek;5639393

You may be right about giving up on Ubuntu a bit too soon. Nevertheless, … You may be right about giving up on Ubuntu a bit too soon. Nevertheless, I like your idea of re-installing Ubuntu and checking out the forums. If I can, I will.

What soundcard is it (or if its laptop/bought PC, what system is it)?

Original Poster

It was the soundcard that came with the PC. I've got a creative Sound blaster now though and I've since downloaded the Linux driver, so when I get round to it, I'll install the correct driver.

Original Poster

I'm so glad I've got a Desktop and my Acer Aspire One netbook, otherwise solving this problem would have been so much more difficult.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …152367
      2. Any PS4 News Here29213641
      3. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1743
      4. Your dream gaming set up?1121

See more discussions