Groups

My PSN account has been hacked

Hello everyone, just received multiple emails saying I've added funds to my wallet then changed my sign in details. Both paypal and sony's customer services are closed so I've put in a claim with paypal for an unauthorized transaction and emailed sony to inform them too. I've received and email from paypal saying my billing agreement has been cancelled with sony but I'm worried I'll be £50 down and not be able to get my account back. I've tried live chatting with sony support but they ask for my PSN details which I obviously don't know because the email from sony informing me of the email change didn't say what address it was changed too.

Has any one experienced this before?

Cheers

17 Comments

Sorry to hear it.

Paypal will be helpful sony won't as they never are.

Did you have 2 step authentication on?

This happened to me last year. I phoned Sony customer services as soon as they opened and they were brilliant on the phone. I told them what had happened and that I couldn't access my psn account as they had changed my email and password. They sent a link to my email to reset my account and to set up a new password.
    They reimbursed all funds that had been spent on the account back into my PayPal account but I have been told by a few people that if you put a claim through PayPal itself Sony will then block your account and you will not be able to play any games you have bought.

Once you do get access to your account again (which you'll likely need Sony to help you with, if your password's been changed), the very first thing that you should do is enable two-factor authentication. I'd encourage you to do this with any account that's important to you, where available.

Second the 2 step authentication everytime i log on using my pc or tablet it send me a text message with a unique code

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies everyone, I needed reassuring! I didn't have 2 step authentication on as I didn't even know it was on PS4, I barely play it to be honest apart from Rocket League I can't remember ever buying anything on the store, hopefully it'll all be sorted tomorrow and it wont affect any save data on the console.

Thanks again every one

bigmike13788

This happened to me last year. I phoned Sony customer services as soon … This happened to me last year. I phoned Sony customer services as soon as they opened and they were brilliant on the phone. I told them what had happened and that I couldn't access my psn account as they had changed my email and password. They sent a link to my email to reset my account and to set up a new password. They reimbursed all funds that had been spent on the account back into my PayPal account but I have been told by a few people that if you put a claim through PayPal itself Sony will then block your account and you will not be able to play any games you have bought.

What you said about PayPal happened me and Sony locked my account had to ring them up and buy a voucher card to reimburse

Original Poster

ALittleRain

What you said about PayPal happened me and Sony locked my account had to … What you said about PayPal happened me and Sony locked my account had to ring them up and buy a voucher card to reimburse

What do you mean by you had to buy a voucher card to reimburse? You had to pay back what the hackers used?

bp2411

What do you mean by you had to buy a voucher card to reimburse? You had … What do you mean by you had to buy a voucher card to reimburse? You had to pay back what the hackers used?

If you put through a chargeback against Sony - be that via PayPal or your bank - your associated PSN account will typically be suspended until you make good the amount of the chargeback.

You need to go through Sony and not Paypal, your account will get banned if you do a charge back.
    Edited by: "tchau" 17th Apr

Original Poster

I've started a claim on PayPal hopefully I can sort it out with Sony tomorrow and cancel the claim with PayPal.

Original Poster

I had an email earlier from paypal saying

Sony Interactive Entertainment Network America LLC has cancelled a Billing Agreement with you.

Does this mean they're angry or is there still time to cancel the paypal claim and play nice with Sony.

bp2411

I've started a claim on PayPal hopefully I can sort it out with Sony … I've started a claim on PayPal hopefully I can sort it out with Sony tomorrow and cancel the claim with PayPal.

If you value your PSN account (more than the amount of the PayPal charge), I'd suggest cancelling that claim if you can.

Sony will hold you to ransom if you go through PayPal. They won't unlock your account until you pay them the money stolen from you.

They will also claim the security of your account is 100% your responsibility, and you agree to this in their terms of service.

Sony customer service is immoral and borderline illegal given EU Law.

Original Poster

I've just woke up to an email from PayPal saying they've refunded me which is good news but from what you've all said it looks like there goes my PSN account as I refuse to pay Sony any "ransom", I'll ring them after work and see what happens.

Original Poster

Just spoke to Sony who were very helpful, restored my account and informed me the account was shut down almost instantly as it looked suspicious, they advised me to cancel the paypal claim but I told him paypal had already refunded me. He said to call paypal and get them to cancel the refund as Sony had already done it and I'd end up in debt to Sony, I rang paypal and spoke to the most unhelpful person ever who basically said tough. So now I have to ring Sony back and I assume make a £50 payment to them.

This happened to me today had a few emails through saying I had successfully changed my email and I had put £30 on my psn. I was in work at the time so rang Sony and they were very helpful. I received the usual change password email which I did straight away and then the 2 step verification when I got home I was also told that the money (which is still in my psn wallet luckily) will be refunded to me in time.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains98
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon33
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat99

See more discussions