My return rights for a product

Found 1st Sep 2017
I have ordered an item from a website using Paypal, when receiving the item there is a note inside to say that the color i purchased was not available, so they have sent me a 'plain' version of the item, and also included a present for goodwill.

What it actually means is that initial item ordered is not the one i have actually paid for, upon reading the T & C's on the site, it advises that customers are responsible for returms.

I can noramally agree with this if the item is simply not to thier taste, but on this occasion the item i ordered was the one which was delivered.

Does the seller have to also reimburse me for the return costs in this instance?

I've never actually had this happen to me ever.

The item is a small box that was meant to be decorated with a sort of black leather, he said the black leather was not available so has sent a plain wooden one.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
The item is not as described
As it is not what you ordered then I would politely advise the online seller that as they have not supplied what you ordered and you do not want the alternative item sent, then you would like a refund and ask then to advise how they will arrange for their item (and gift) to be returned. They are responsible for the postage.

Give them first oppostunity to resolve the problem. If it is not sorted to your satisfaction raise a claim with Paypal.
Edited by: "Van1973" 1st Sep 2017
Original Poster
i have actually gone through paypal so they have a record of what has been said. I have advised that they have sent an item that i did not order(and admitted it by including a free gift and a hand written apology note).

I wasnt sure whether to contact the seller direct first, but wanted to do things by the book to avoid the seller advising paypal that i had contacted them outside of the paypal mechanism
Obviously contact the seller first -give them a chance to remedy the situation - if they cannot or will not resolve the problem then go through Paypal . You are not foregoing your consumer rights by giving the seller a chance to put it right .
Did you buy through eBay? The seller doesn't have to reimburse your return postage if PayPal get involved via a claim unfortunately which is annoying. Maybe email the seller
mmmwoah27 m ago

Did you buy through eBay? The seller doesn't have to reimburse your return …Did you buy through eBay? The seller doesn't have to reimburse your return postage if PayPal get involved via a claim unfortunately which is annoying. Maybe email the seller

I don't see eBay mentioned.

OP, if you have opened a case with Paypal you need to google "paypal returns on us" and you will get £15 towards your returns postage. You need to escalate your Paypal case and when told to send the item back, use the £15 to send it back fully tracked.
I can't believe the cheek of some sellers. Still at least he didn't send you an acorn and tell you to grow it yourself.
Good advice above. Do as Windym advises. I personally never but from someone who states 'buyer pays return postage'. Seems like they're lining up the excuses already.
Edited by: "mrty" 2nd Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants