My router Keeps cutting out!

13 replies
Found 12th Mar 2009
Hi, My router keeps cutting out when I am downloading at high speeds, anyone have any ideas?

if it helps any I use a netgear wgt624 router

13 Comments

Are you talking about file sharing ?

Original Poster

I'm talking about downloading in general! Freeware, whatever!

Original Poster

tonyg1962;4622256

Are you talking about file sharing ?

Does your comment actually have any relevance?

There can be a problem with XP making too many connection attempts but this would only apply to file sharing,

my netgear just died last week same thing when downloading,browsing it just died......

oldmankensey;4622282

And it wasnt a comment it was a question,Sorry for trying to help,

Is it actually losing synch? Cable or ADSL?

oldmankensey;4622282

Yes it is. Peer-to-peer applications flood a router's NAT table with requests. Once the table is full the router will stop responding until it has worked down the list of requests. For the user this looks like the router has crashed/stalled. After a minute or two the router will start working as normal.

The solution for this is to simply set the maximum connection limit to

Original Poster

tonyg1962;4622321

And it wasnt a comment it was a question,Sorry for trying to help,

sorry, it didnt seem like a question as such. Thanks for your help

Original Poster

SUMMONER;4622403

Yes it is. Peer-to-peer applications flood a router's NAT table with … Yes it is. Peer-to-peer applications flood a router's NAT table with requests. Once the table is full the router will stop responding until it has worked down the list of requests. For the user this looks like the router has crashed/stalled. After a minute or two the router will start working as normal.The solution for this is to simply set the maximum connection limit to

You can also get problems with lost connections on new ADSL connections. This can reoccur if you switch ISPs. Usually that settles down after about a week though.

Go to Netgear's website and download and upgrade the Firmware. I did it a few weeks ago and noticed a huge improvement in speeds, as in both down and up speeds doubled!

Mine is set to 300. All depends on router make/model/firmware. Some have more memory allocated to the NAT table than others.

The older the router, the less likely it is to cope well with p2p traffic.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244926
    2. In-store receipt cashback - Shopitize, TopCashBack's 'Groceries', Quidco's …25115
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming1828
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769515

See more discussions