My son broke Laptop

My son slammed his laptop down in a temper, and now it wont load fully, tha first bit comes on then it says error. I cant even get it to load in safe mode.
I dont know if he has knocked something loose, there is a very tiny rattle noise if you turn it over, cant afford a big repair bill,
and wondering if it had something broken inside would it start to load at all ?

54 Comments

probably knocked the hard drive loose

what model is the laptop ?

when you say it won't go into safe mode - do you get as far as having that option but when you select it it won't boot or do you just get an error message - if so whats the error?

my son did this also and when we opened it it was just the screw came loose that holds the hard drive in place so lucky for him!

Original Poster

faevilangel;5443883

probably knocked the hard drive loose what model is the laptop ?

It is avent 1702

Teach him for having a strop.. :thumbsup:

Could be anything...make him pay for the repair out of his own pocket money.

Kids today have no value of money.... then flog him in the afternoon sun infront of a crowd!

Original Poster

worto03;5443899

when you say it won't go into safe mode - do you get as far as having … when you say it won't go into safe mode - do you get as far as having that option but when you select it it won't boot or do you just get an error message - if so whats the error?

yes can press f8 to get some options but that is it, it has a built in repair thingy but cant get to that either:thinking:

Original Poster

Celticsun;5443948

Teach him for having a strop.. :thumbsup:

I no but its me who will end up paying for it !

.........which is why laptops are not toys

Original Poster

wulshaz;5443910

my son did this also and when we opened it it was just the screw came … my son did this also and when we opened it it was just the screw came loose that holds the hard drive in place so lucky for him!

Yes I would say that this sounds like a small screw, but would not try to open it, and think it would probably still work if it was that:thinking:

wulshaz;5443910

my son did this also and when we opened it it was just the screw came … my son did this also and when we opened it it was just the screw came loose that holds the hard drive in place so lucky for him!

that is the problem with the OP's too by the sounds of it,

OP find a review on the net to open up the advent (normally screws on the bottom) and check the hd is screwed in

Seriously, it could be many things.

Was it on when he slammed it down?

HDD should be as you looks at the laptop, underneath bottom left corner closest to front of laptop, undo the screws and make sure its attached to the main cables and no screws or plastic bits are missing.

I did this the other week, wouldn't boot up to windows, had to get my HD replaced and windows re-installed.

Luckily for me I have insurance on my Laptop and they fixed it for free.

pink;5443965

Make him suffer - why rush to get it fixed when it's his own stupidity that has caused the problem.

If you cause him some inconvenience (I'm not advocating physical pain btw!!) by not getting it fixed right away, then he might think twice before doing something so silly next time!

Hard drives are delicate things - if it was in use when he did this, it may have caused some damage to the disk. It may be recoverable - or not.

Original Poster

Celticsun;5443983

Seriously, it could be many things.Was it on when he slammed it down?HDD … Seriously, it could be many things.Was it on when he slammed it down?HDD should be as you looks at the laptop, underneath bottom left corner closest to front of laptop, undo the screws and make sure its attached to the main cables and no screws or plastic bits are missing.

I dont no he wouldnt say, he is going through a bad time at the moment, I am divorcing his dad and he has taken it badly that is why the temper tantrums.

Original Poster

There are about 20 screw all in all, I will try and open it later if all else fails. but am not that handy.

pink;5444015

I dont no he wouldnt say, he is going through a bad time at the moment, I … I dont no he wouldnt say, he is going through a bad time at the moment, I am divorcing his dad and he has taken it badly that is why the temper tantrums.

Fair enough if he's having a hard time, but I would still not accept bad behaviour, he still needs to understand he can't just break things in a temper. Don't rush to fix it and make sure he pays for any charges.

Hope things work out xx

pink;5444042

There are about 20 screw all in all, I will try and open it later if all … There are about 20 screw all in all, I will try and open it later if all else fails. but am not that handy.

Really, is there not a couple of cuts outs? One for HDD one for Ram upgrade.

Problem is if it was on he may have bounced the head of the Harddisk in which case a new one is required.

I'd say it's more than likely to be broken hard drive than a screw. If it was on at the time the read head would have touched the surface and put a huge scratch in it.

As others have said, i'd leave it for a week or so, so he knows the repercussions of damaging something in anger, maybe he'll think twice next time. Although he has having a tough time, there is still no excuse for it.

How old is he? If he gets pocket money take the repairs out of that.

Original Poster

peodude;5444102

I'd say it's more than likely to be broken hard drive than a screw. If it … I'd say it's more than likely to be broken hard drive than a screw. If it was on at the time the read head would have touched the surface and put a huge scratch in it.As others have said, i'd leave it for a week or so, so he knows the repercussions of damaging something in anger, maybe he'll think twice next time. Although he has having a tough time, there is still no excuse for it.How old is he? If he gets pocket money take the repairs out of that.

He is 14, have left it a week already, but he just uses mine because he needs it for school work, so will have to get it working one way or the other, i want my laptop back! :roll:

Original Poster

Celticsun;5444060

Really, is there not a couple of cuts outs? One for HDD one for Ram … Really, is there not a couple of cuts outs? One for HDD one for Ram upgrade.Problem is if it was on he may have bounced the head of the Harddisk in which case a new one is required.

Yes there is a cut out on the front left hand side if I hold it upside down, It is about the size of a pack pf butter would that be it ?

pink;5444143

Yes there is a cut out on the front left hand side if I hold it upside … Yes there is a cut out on the front left hand side if I hold it upside down, It is about the size of a pack pf butter would that be it ?

I would say so, I know its not the same Laptop but might be similair ]LOOK HERE

pink;5443965

I agree, give him a pencil & a notebook, he will learn!

pink;5444128

He is 14, have left it a week already, but he just uses mine because he … He is 14, have left it a week already, but he just uses mine because he needs it for school work, so will have to get it working one way or the other, i want my laptop back! :roll:

Pink where about are you ? If you are anywhere near Portsmouth, i'd be happy to take a look at this for you.

Original Poster

Am going in !

Original Poster

Download_Dave;5444184

Pink where about are you ? If you are anywhere near Portsmouth, i'd be … Pink where about are you ? If you are anywhere near Portsmouth, i'd be happy to take a look at this for you.

Thanks but I am in Liverpool:)

Original Poster

dont really no but nthe hard drive looks fine, took another few covers off, and a small peice of plastic fell out of the area where the disc tray is. cant open this part without taking it all apart. the plastic to me looks like a peice of a screw hole.

I used to whack my computer screen when i lost at frogger.
so i no how he feels

pink;5443957

yes can press f8 to get some options but that is it, it has a built in … yes can press f8 to get some options but that is it, it has a built in repair thingy but cant get to that either:thinking:

If you can get the F8 menu up then the hard drive is obviously working, what happens if you choose one of the options?

Original Poster

EndlessWaves;5444527

If you can get the F8 menu up then the hard drive is obviously working, … If you can get the F8 menu up then the hard drive is obviously working, what happens if you choose one of the options?

Nothing the little loading bar comes up for abou ten seconds and then the screen goes blank,
there is a option for system repair and the same happens then,
If I put the OP disc in the same happens as well:thinking:

Original Poster

got to go back soon

Just a thought, but before we go opening things up and taking guesses, we need to know what the system is and isn't doing. You're saying it won't boot into Windows. Does it even start booting into Windows? Are there any error messages displayed? Can you hear the sound of a harddrive making noises? Do you hear a repeated clicking noise when Windows fails to start up?

I'm onto my 3rd or 4th HD, one of the times I could access F8 too but then it wouldn't do anything, still needed a new HD.

Original Poster

dxx;5444591

Just a thought, but before we go opening things up and taking guesses, we … Just a thought, but before we go opening things up and taking guesses, we need to know what the system is and isn't doing. You're saying it won't boot into Windows. Does it even start booting into Windows? Are there any error messages displayed? Can you hear the sound of a harddrive making noises? Do you hear a repeated clicking noise when Windows fails to start up?

Yes it gets as far as the green bar that starts to load windows but then goes black, ands yes there is a clicking noise when windows fails, it is not loud you have to put ear to it but it is definitely clicking:thumbsup:

pink;5453438

Yes it gets as far as the green bar that starts to load windows but then … Yes it gets as far as the green bar that starts to load windows but then goes black, ands yes there is a clicking noise when windows fails, it is not loud you have to put ear to it but it is definitely clicking:thumbsup:

Good stuff. If it's that click...click...click...click... noise, where all the repeated clicks sound the same and sometimes have a funny noise after them, it indicates that the system is working okay, and the harddisk has hopefully only sustained a little surface damage. The surface damage isn't a good thing by any means, and it might spell the end of the drive, but it is possible to mark the damaged surface area off as being unusable, so that Windows won't try to use it anymore, and hopefully won't get stuck when it tries to boot up. It's not the perfect long-term solution since it only masks the damage rather than fixing it (in non-nerd terms, it's kinda like just cordoning an area off) , but it should get the system back up and running within just a few hours, with zero messing around inside the system or buying new bits, at least for the time being.

So, what to do is, first get your Vista DVD, stick it in the laptop, reboot the laptop with the disc in the drive, and follow the guide at vistahomepremium.windowsreinstall.com/rep…htm

When you see this screen:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winvista/images/repair/staruprepair/Image17.gif

Enter the command prompt, and type in

chkdsk /f

This'll take a while to run, but what it does is scans through the drive, and marks areas of physical damage off as unusable before trying to read the data from the damaged areas and move it elsewhere.

After that completes, reboot, make your way again to the above screen, and this time click the Startup Repair option. This shouldn't take too long to run, and it should result in the system booting and working proper again.

If it doesn't, you'll need to reinstall Windows. The guide ]here can walk you through most of that, but do *not* format the drive during the process. The guide might tell you to, but doing so will wipe all data frm the drive, so don't.

Good luck with it all. Let us know how you get on.

Original Poster

Will give it a goe thanks:thumbsup:

no, have set bios to CD and put disc in, it loads the files but then wont install them, the green installation bar runs for a few moments then the screen goes blank again.
looks like a visit to PC world is going to be my only option,
But thanks for all your help, will leave rep for advice

Banned

pink;5453714

Will give it a goe thanks:thumbsup:no, have set bios to CD and put disc … Will give it a goe thanks:thumbsup:no, have set bios to CD and put disc in, it loads the files but then wont install them, the green installation bar runs for a few moments then the screen goes blank again. looks like a visit to PC world is going to be my only option, But thanks for all your help, will leave rep for advice

pc world is the last place I'd take anythng for repair. extortionate labour charges and top prices charged for any replacement parts. Might be cheaper to get a new laptop than take it there :w00t:

dont you know anyone who could look at it?

pink;5453438

Yes it gets as far as the green bar that starts to load windows but then … Yes it gets as far as the green bar that starts to load windows but then goes black, ands yes there is a clicking noise when windows fails, it is not loud you have to put ear to it but it is definitely clicking:thumbsup:

That clicking noise... is it a repetative click that sounds the same, and how long does it go on for.

If its all of the above and the clicking lasts a while, I would put money on the Harddisk being fubar.

Banned

Celticsun;5454279

That clicking noise... is it a repetative click that sounds the same, and … That clicking noise... is it a repetative click that sounds the same, and how long does it go on for.If its all of the above and the clicking lasts a while, I would put money on the Harddisk being fubar.

me too.

most prob scratched the platter by banging it when reading.
would say it needs a new hd

try scanning with this
ariolic.com/dis…tml
and be booted from cd or usb drive

Original Poster

csiman;5454184

pc world is the last place I'd take anythng for repair. extortionate … pc world is the last place I'd take anythng for repair. extortionate labour charges and top prices charged for any replacement parts. Might be cheaper to get a new laptop than take it there :w00t:dont you know anyone who could look at it?

No I dont no any one:thinking:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764039
    2. Sad news about Barcelona34
    3. What an absolute disgrace2161
    4. Pink Balls24

See more discussions