Expired

My tv is scratched, can I clam through John Lewis?

Found 21st May 2012
Hi, I purchased a tv from John Lewis in march 2012 it came with a 5 year guarantee. When I cleaned the screen earlier, I noticed a scratch about an inch long. I have children so it was probably one of them that did it. Does anyone know if I can claim through John Lewis for this? I will be ringing them in a bit but want to have advice beforehand. Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
27 Comments
Subbed.
What did you clean the screen with?
Just wondering why you think you might be able to claim through John Lewis for a scratch that your kids probably did?
It was scratched before I cleaned it. I used a micro fibre cloth that came with the tv.
I don't know if the gaurentee covers accicently scratches which is why I am seeking advice.
deek72

Just wondering why you think you might be able to claim through John … Just wondering why you think you might be able to claim through John Lewis for a scratch that your kids probably did?

This is the reason why I could never work in a 'customer care' related field. I would not hesitate in telling the thieving **** to GTFO.
depends on your moral compass, you certainly wont be covered for accidental damage like this scratch, what you need to do is break it...i.e tell them the TV went POP!!

I personally cant do things like that, but I know plenty of people who abuse these sort of warrantys
Nope. If it came scratched out of the box this would of been different. The policy covers product failure/malfunction not accident cover, home insurance is for that, which is not really worth the paper it's written on today.
OP is not allowed to spank her kids, but wants to take the scratch out on someone.

All the MP's shop at JL, and they all have a dodgy moral compass.
Edited by: "punkstoner1" 21st May 2012
How big is the scratch?
Taramel28

It was scratched before I cleaned it. I used a micro fibre cloth that … It was scratched before I cleaned it. I used a micro fibre cloth that came with the tv. I don't know if the gaurentee covers accicently scratches which is why I am seeking advice.

Read your warranty terms?

I'll save you the trouble:

These service and repair costs are excluded from the guaranteeRepairs due … These service and repair costs are excluded from the guaranteeRepairs due to breakdown caused by use other than domestic by you or family, or by deliberate damage or neglect of the product.

So I think the answer to your original question is no.

When I bought a Sony Bravia I think it came with a guarantee which covered damage such as a smashed screen.
Twist96

How big is the scratch?

OP says an inch. It won't even be visible. That's why she only saw it today, when right up close cleaning it.
Extend the scratch to spell your surname as a security measure.
punkstoner1

OP says an inch. It won't even be visible. That's why she only saw it … OP says an inch. It won't even be visible. That's why she only saw it today, when right up close cleaning it.

Well it's not that much of a big deal then, just leave it.

As OP has said she bought it in March it's only been about a month and what's to say IF she did use the warranty to buy another, it may get scratched again by the kids and may be even worse/deeper?
Just came in to say WTF!

Twist96

Well it's not that much of a big deal then, just leave it. As OP has said … Well it's not that much of a big deal then, just leave it. As OP has said she bought it in March it's only been about a month and what's to say IF she did use the warranty to buy another, it may get scratched again by the kids and may be even worse/deeper?

OP's kids clearly have behaviour issues. Maybe parenting would help rather than worrying about small beer.
thehitman

You would require … You would require this:http://www.johnlewis.com/Help/Help.aspx?HelpId=46#damageinsurance

Thanks for that.
Adam2050

Nope. If it came scratched out of the box this would of been different. … Nope. If it came scratched out of the box this would of been different. The policy covers product failure/malfunction not accident cover, home insurance is for that, which is not really worth the paper it's written on today.

Thanks
LoveHearts

When I bought a Sony Bravia I think it came with a guarantee which … When I bought a Sony Bravia I think it came with a guarantee which covered damage such as a smashed screen.

Luckily the scratch ain't noticeable unless I'm up close to tv.
Taramel28

Luckily the scratch ain't noticeable unless I'm up close to tv.

Unfortunately your stupidity is now there for all to see. Close up or not
Yet again another thread where a reasonable questions has been asked and out come the HUKD trolls. Punkstoner are you serious? Parenting issues? You clearly have not got kids.

Op no it will not be covered. The rest of you who made snide unnecessary comments get a **** life.
ncolli

Yet again another thread where a reasonable questions has been asked and … Yet again another thread where a reasonable questions has been asked and out come the HUKD trolls. Punkstoner are you serious? Parenting issues? You clearly have not got kids.Op no it will not be covered. The rest of you who made snide unnecessary comments get a **** life.

;)ncolli thanks. There are so many idiots on here who my kids could teach a few manners to x
ncolli

Yet again another thread where a reasonable questions has been asked and … Yet again another thread where a reasonable questions has been asked and out come the HUKD trolls. Punkstoner are you serious? Parenting issues? You clearly have not got kids.Op no it will not be covered. The rest of you who made snide unnecessary comments get a **** life.

Pipe down. You look new round here.

ncolli

ncolli

The modz need to do some mod work and investigate if these two comments originated from the same IP/machine

Thread locked at request

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants