My wing mirror was snapped off while parked in a hotel...

..underground car park (hilton york).

When i arrived the consierge or whatever hes called insisted on parking the car, I didnt use it again untill I was checking out, i left the hotel then a mile down the road it just dropped off.

Now im no mechanic but i do know these things dont just drop off.

I called them, they said they would get the manager to call me back, over a week later i was still waiting for the call so i called them again, 4 phone calls later I finally speak to her who then tells me that theres a sign on the wall saying cars parked here are at the owners risk and they cant do anything about it because i drove away without reporting it.

If it was a normal carpark, fair enough but i didnt even park the car.

Is it worth me pursuing further or am i fighting a loosing battle?

11 Comments

if thats you in yr avi send them a pic then ask em again what theyre going to do

p.s i know its not

Usually isn't that the terms of any car park. I would still call them back and tell her that it was the concierge who insisted on parking your car for you therefore you had no knowledge of any signs or terms of car park use..

Hotel Proprietors Act

Loss or damage to a guest's property

Under the Hotel Proprietors Act 1956, a hotel proprietor may in certain circumstances be liable to make good any loss or damage to a guests property even though it was not due to any fault of the proprietor or any staff at the hotel.

This liability however - (a) extends only to the property of guests who have engaged in sleeping accommodation at the hotel; (b) is limited to £50 for any one article and a total of £100 in the case of any one guest, except in the case of property which has been deposited, or offered for deposit, for safe custody;(c) does not cover motor cars or any other vehicles of any kind or property left in them, or horses or live animals.

There is more to this act but I got bored typing it from the sign on the wall.

Sorry

Surely you could get the CCTV footage they have there and check it for the concierge dinging it ???

Edited by: "Skyebee" 15th Mar 2011

Funny you should say that, I went into the city centre yesterday afternoon, parked the car, came back a few hours later and some idiot had somehow broke my driver side wing mirror, I wasn't too bothered as I had a spare one but it's not the point. They must of known they had done it & it would of been nice even if they left a little note explaining what had happened.

Another guest may have driven into your wing mirror and therefore not the responsibility of the hotel.

I can understand your frustration, my neighbour had the wing mirror wrenched off his VW Golf and had to pay £150 for a fitted replacement.

Edited by: "diabeticguy" 15th Mar 2011

Original Poster

The cctv didnt cover the area which is pretty bad as overnite park was £17...

and a cooked english breakfast was £18..

and a bottle of water in the room was £4..

You would think they were making enough money to pay for better cctv.

You could kick off about it but I reckon without the cctv stuff the hotel will just say it was someone else that skelped your car and not the concierge (which is highly plausible, I see enough of it happening where I work) and you won't get anywhere with it.

Nightmare.

Banned

You won't win you drove off. You can't prove you didn't drive into someone a mile down the road.

Banned

Ring again and just explain that you haven't started your campaign against them yet on all the hotel review sites and you would just like to give them one last chance to make amends before doing so.

slamdunkin

Ring again and just explain that you haven't started your campaign … Ring again and just explain that you haven't started your campaign against them yet on all the hotel review sites and you would just like to give them one last chance to make amends before doing so.

Then get arrested for blackmail.

alternate

Then get arrested for blackmail.

If the person has reasonable grounds for making a demand, its not blackmail. It neither is an unfair or menacing threat, a person is perfectly allowed to leave fair judgment of the hotel on review sites as they feel fit. If they are certain beyond reasonable doubt that the damage was caused whilst at the hotel, they can say as such on review sites, and sending sending a message as above would not be considered blackmail.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. How dangerous is Donald trump?1961
    2. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2451
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846137
    4. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2745

See more discussions