Mycloud storage device?

Found 31st Oct 2017
I have Not got a clue about computers but I know some of you bright sparks will laugh at how simple this should be to answer.

So all I want to do is save my photos/videos from my android phone and iPad, I currently pay for I cloud but that's s short term solution. (I keep seeing plex? Is this like kodi?)

I don't own a desktop/laptop so I just wondered what sort of device would be best to use? 1-2 tb would be more than enough. Is it worth getting an my cloud device as I like the idea of pulling my photos from anywhere and automatic back up or is it best saving the extra money and buy an external hard rice (remember iOS and android device only)

If so have you got any links or ones to look out for on Black Friday.

Thanks in advance

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
22 Comments

Use the Google Photos app. Works across mobile / tablet and desktop / laptop. You can buy extra storage space if required.
Edited by: "ipswich78" 31st Oct 2017

What is your internet connection like (both download and upload)?

My advice would be to first check anything you already have, for example, your router may have cloud storage options (I think my Asus router does).

Another option I know of is Western Digital offer some "My Cloud" HDDs which may do what you need.

Plex requires a server (host computer), so you'd need to either buy a computer (you could get a cheap second hand one), a Shield TV or some compatible NAS (Network external HDD).

The only issue of course is data redundancy and how you plan on keeping a backup, a NAS may be better in that regard as you can have copies of the data across multiple HDDs.

ipswich785 m ago

Use the Google Photos app. Works across mobile / tablet and desktop / …Use the Google Photos app. Works across mobile / tablet and desktop / laptop. You can buy extra storage space if required.

Doesn't that compress the photos on the 'free' version?
Edited by: "tech3475" 31st Oct 2017

Original Poster

ipswich7823 m ago

Use the Google Photos app. Works across mobile / tablet and desktop / …Use the Google Photos app. Works across mobile / tablet and desktop / laptop. You can buy extra storage space if required.

Isn't that the same as iCloud?

Original Poster

tech34752 h, 20 m ago

What is your internet connection like (both download and upload)?My advice …What is your internet connection like (both download and upload)?My advice would be to first check anything you already have, for example, your router may have cloud storage options (I think my Asus router does).Another option I know of is Western Digital offer some "My Cloud" HDDs which may do what you need.Plex requires a server (host computer), so you'd need to either buy a computer (you could get a cheap second hand one), a Shield TV or some compatible NAS (Network external HDD).The only issue of course is data redundancy and how you plan on keeping a backup, a NAS may be better in that regard as you can have copies of the data across multiple HDDs.Doesn't that compress the photos on the 'free' version?

Having virgin fine fitted in s couple days so should be pretty good.
Just using their router that comes with it.

Ideally I want something that I can take when j move in a few months (I won't be taking router)

I had looked at the the wd cloud storage things but I couldn't figure if I needed a computer aswell to set it up as I only want to save from my phone and ipad. If these will do the trick they seem the cheapest, easiest option.
I just want to keep photos backed up somewhere in case I lose my phone again 😳

Thank you, I'll wait till they come back on Offer somewhere returned.

I'll leave plex

i have a laptop where i store all my photos but for those that i want to back up, i load them to dropbox where i have free storage space.

Original Poster

mutley113 m ago

i have a laptop where i store all my photos but for those that i want to …i have a laptop where i store all my photos but for those that i want to back up, i load them to dropbox where i have free storage space.

Ideally I didn't want to buy a laptop if possible as it literally it is just for storing photos (about 15'000)

Thanks for commenting though 🏻

mhoneyghan2 m ago

Ideally I didn't want to buy a laptop if possible as it literally it is …Ideally I didn't want to buy a laptop if possible as it literally it is just for storing photos (about 15'000)Thanks for commenting though 🏻

you can load photos to dropbox from your mobile phone or tablet. you don't need a laptop to do this.

here is a list of free storage sites for your photos. fill your boots

Best free online storage
  • Google Drive: 15GB free.
  • Box: 10GB free.
  • OneDrive: 5GB free (1TB for students)
  • iCloud: 5GB free.
  • Dropbox: 2GB free, plus up to 16GB extra.
  • Amazon Drive: 5GB + unltd photos with Prime.
  • BT Cloud: 5GB-500GB 'free' for BT b'band custs.

Original Poster

mutley14 m ago

you can load photos to dropbox from your mobile phone or tablet. you …you can load photos to dropbox from your mobile phone or tablet. you don't need a laptop to do this.

How much storage do they let you have, i need just over 100gb plus at least another 100-200 gb

Original Poster

mutley111 m ago

here is a list of free storage sites for your photos. fill your boots here is a list of free storage sites for your photos. fill your boots Best free online storageGoogle Drive: 15GB free.Box: 10GB free.OneDrive: 5GB free (1TB for students)iCloud: 5GB free.Dropbox: 2GB free, plus up to 16GB extra.Amazon Drive: 5GB + unltd photos with Prime.BT Cloud: 5GB-500GB 'free' for BT b'band custs.

Thanks bud

mhoneyghan7 m ago

Thanks bud

you sound like you need a lot of storage so you could either split the photos between the sites to take advantage of all the free storage or you could pay for the extra storage space after you have used up the free storage given.

Original Poster

mutley17 m ago

you sound like you need a lot of storage so you could either split the …you sound like you need a lot of storage so you could either split the photos between the sites to take advantage of all the free storage or you could pay for the extra storage space after you have used up the free storage given.

I'm on Amazon prime and didn't realise I get that photo storage so that will be s temporary solution till I find a physical solution

mhoneyghan11 h, 45 m ago

I'm on Amazon prime and didn't realise I get that photo storage so that …I'm on Amazon prime and didn't realise I get that photo storage so that will be s temporary solution till I find a physical solution

Google Photos is similar to iCloud but much more platform agnostic and designed for photos. The ideals backup solution would be both physical AND cloud based.

mhoneyghan20 h, 41 m ago

Ideally I didn't want to buy a laptop if possible as it literally it is …Ideally I didn't want to buy a laptop if possible as it literally it is just for storing photos (about 15'000)Thanks for commenting though 🏻

WD Mycloud connects direct to a router so no PC required

the wd mycloud are fairly simple but an even cheaper option would surely be to save your fotos to an external drive . there are many around and if you go to "Currys" I'm sure ven they could set up you up with something. A 1tb external drive sounds like it would give you plenty of breathing space
example drive
Edited by: "GwanGy" 1st Nov 2017

GwanGy37 m ago

the wd mycloud are fairly simple but an even cheaper option would surely …the wd mycloud are fairly simple but an even cheaper option would surely be to save your fotos to an external drive . there are many around and if you go to "Currys" I'm sure ven they could set up you up with something. A 1tb external drive sounds like it would give you plenty of breathing spaceexample drive

No good without a laptop or PC

Original Poster

chocci3 h, 30 m ago

WD Mycloud connects direct to a router so no PC required

Thanks buddy, think this will be cheapest and easiest option for now.

Original Poster

GwanGy3 h, 19 m ago

the wd mycloud are fairly simple but an even cheaper option would surely …the wd mycloud are fairly simple but an even cheaper option would surely be to save your fotos to an external drive . there are many around and if you go to "Currys" I'm sure ven they could set up you up with something. A 1tb external drive sounds like it would give you plenty of breathing spaceexample drive

The problem is at the minute i use iOS and android but I don't have a desktop/laptop computer so need something wifi otherwise I'd be going with the one you posted as it would have done the job

Thanks for trying to help though mate

mhoneyghan18 m ago

Thanks buddy, think this will be cheapest and easiest option for now.

6 months warranty on this 3TB one for £77.99 delivered

wdc.com/en-…wcB

SO, MOST routers have a USB port on them which is precisely the idea .. power it from the HUB OR even mains powered but connected to router via USB. This is a feature on BT HH4 and HH5 for definite.. the disk will show as a network device and can be saved/read by any wi-fi device.

BUt by drive , I actually meant any storage device even a phat usb stick.
Maybe you need to catalogue your photos and decide if you really want to store all of them

Original Poster

chocci8 h, 12 m ago

6 months warranty on this 3TB one for £77.99 …6 months warranty on this 3TB one for £77.99 deliveredhttps://www.wdc.com/en-gb/products/wd-recertified/my-cloud.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY2pfpAymGperjR3Zjsndw10En_6JgdidZkG4ELbuEp4lyLqwe4ql3UaAkO_EALw_wcB#RWDBCTL0030HWT-EESN

3tb has gone, shame cuz only save a couple quid for 2 tb

Original Poster

GwanGy6 h, 10 m ago

SO, MOST routers have a USB port on them which is precisely the idea .. …SO, MOST routers have a USB port on them which is precisely the idea .. power it from the HUB OR even mains powered but connected to router via USB. This is a feature on BT HH4 and HH5 for definite.. the disk will show as a network device and can be saved/read by any wi-fi device.BUt by drive , I actually meant any storage device even a phat usb stick.Maybe you need to catalogue your photos and decide if you really want to store all of them

I never knew that, pretty good idea!!

I'll check when I get to next house if router has one,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants