Expired

MyHermes Price Increase - are there any cheaper alternatives?

Found 26th Jun 2013
As an eBay seller, the price increases Royal Mail made this year angered me somewhat, so whereas previously I had been using MyHermes on occasion, I found myself putting all my deliveries through them as the cheapest courier service I could find. I was somewhat disappointed therefore to learn that their more than reasonable £2.50 + VAT service for small parcels has now increased to £3.50 + VAT. At present, this means that in March an item with a depth of 8cm or more and less than 1kg in weight cost £2.20 to post (through Royal Mail). The cheapest now that I can find is £4.20 through MyHermes - an increase of £2 per parcel in just 3 months! It is extortion that beggars belief, especially when petrol prices have remained static for the last 12 months - so where are these extra costs coming from, and what benefits are being passed onto the seller or the customer?

I'm sorry if this thread already exists - I have tried searching for a similar thread, but to no avail.

My main question is - does anyone know of anything cheaper than MyHermes?
Community Updates
AskPrice GlitchHermes
5 Comments
There have been several threads about the myhermes increases. If your parcel fits the RM small parcel limit - there are three variations of shape (oblong, cube or cylinder) - it costs £2.60. Otherwise myhermes is the next cheapest. Collect+ put up their prices before myhermes.
Hi
Have you looked at ipostparcels.com? I' m going through the same with postage (royal mail) and I now have to find a cheaper option. In July royal mail are releasing a new list of items you cannot post which will effect me!
They don't appear to be any cheaper. I understood the changes in July are actually allowing small quantities of already banned items to be sent for personal customers in the UK. The change has already happened for business customers. RM website is down, again, so can't check at the moment.
Rm has to subsidise all the discounts there giving Amazon etc somehow....

But seriously, I'm in the same position, the price hikes have made selling low value items on ebay really unaffordable. You'd think with the exponential rise in home delivery from the shift to online shopping as well as the stable price of fuel that there'd be increased competition for business and this more competitiveness,

Edited by: "capriboycraig" 26th Jun 2013
Original Poster
neatly50

Hi Have you looked at ipostparcels.com? I' m going through the same with … Hi Have you looked at ipostparcels.com? I' m going through the same with postage (royal mail) and I now have to find a cheaper option. In July royal mail are releasing a new list of items you cannot post which will effect me!

I use Parcels2Go.com, which looks to be as cheap as ipostparcels.com (maybe 1p + VAT difference). They also do a prepay thing, where if you top up your balance with £100, they give you £5 free. The downside to prepay is that you cannot use it partially against a parcel (e.g. if you have a £4.20 parcel quote, but only have £4 in your prepay account, you cannot pay for it by prepay). The minimum prepay top up is also £20.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants