MyMemory - too good to be true?

Posted 7th Apr
I have bought several flash drives from Mymemory over the last couple of years. When they come up as a deal I usually buy a couple for future use. My husband was downlaoding some things onto a 128GB and had only got to 32GB when it said that the disc was full! When he checked the other flash drives 1 other was 32GB and one was 64GB, even though Windows was indicating that they were correct. The sticks in question are all branded as 'My memory'. As we bought these so long ago - last was Dec 2018 I doubt that I will get any refund etc when I email them. You know what they say "if it seems too good to be true then it probably is".
Has anyone else had any similar experience?
Community Updates

Groups

14 Comments
I haven't - and I have used them. The laptop I'm using has a MyMemory branded SSD in (hope it's ok!) which has been fine.

I would think they would be VERY interested as it's their 'own brand' sticks - but undoubtedly they were sourced from a China manufacturer. I would never have thought they would use someone who would poke "fakes" into them but you can't rule anything out. I would think they would appreciate the heads up so they can investigate. At the very least, you might be offered a 'return and replace' by them, regardless of time passed as a gesture - seeing as it's their own branded line that you can't say might have been purchased elsewhere.

It might be worthwhile using one of those programs that checks the "real" capacity of a USB stick. I can't remember the name at the moment but I know someone will. I'll have a Google in a mo...
Check the stick with some memory test software, this is one of the best to find out if the capacity is what it says it is - H2testw: raymond.cc/blo…77/

Also, can you be sure they weren't partitioned? Download a partition manager and check to see if the drive has 2 or more partitions on it
bobdylan07/04/2020 16:47

Check the stick with some memory test software, this is one of the best to …Check the stick with some memory test software, this is one of the best to find out if the capacity is what it says it is - H2testw: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/download/did/77/Also, can you be sure they weren't partitioned? Download a partition manager and check to see if the drive has 2 or more partitions on it

Beat me to it, BD. that's the one - H2testW. Slow, but thorough.

Also, this similar link: raymond.cc/blo…tw/
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 7th Apr
I’d email them to see what they say, my experience with their CS has been very good and helpful.
I've never had that issue with MyMemory ones, though I did once with one I bought direct from China, which is why I've never bought any more.
You haven't somehow partitioned them so they appear as 2 drives when you insert the USB? - you'd see 2 (or more) drive letters appear when inserted - I accidentally partitioned a usb drive recently and wondered why it was only a fraction of the size it should have been until I check in disk management and sorted out my blunder.
Phsycronix07/04/2020 16:47

I haven't - and I have used them. The laptop I'm using has a MyMemory …I haven't - and I have used them. The laptop I'm using has a MyMemory branded SSD in (hope it's ok!) which has been fine.I would think they would be VERY interested as it's their 'own brand' sticks - but undoubtedly they were sourced from a China manufacturer. I would never have thought they would use someone who would poke "fakes" into them but you can't rule anything out. I would think they would appreciate the heads up so they can investigate. At the very least, you might be offered a 'return and replace' by them, regardless of time passed as a gesture - seeing as it's their own branded line that you can't say might have been purchased elsewhere.It might be worthwhile using one of those programs that checks the "real" capacity of a USB stick. I can't remember the name at the moment but I know someone will. I'll have a Google in a mo...

My husband is currently checking all of them. I had one that I hadn't opened until today - 256GB, let's hope it is!
Phsycronix07/04/2020 16:50

Beat me to it, BD. that's the one - H2testW. Slow, but thorough.Also, this …Beat me to it, BD. that's the one - H2testW. Slow, but thorough.Also, this similar link: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-and-detect-fake-or-counterfeit-usb-flash-drives-bought-from-ebay-with-h2testw/

Currently using RM prep USB but it's taking forever.
spannerzone07/04/2020 18:37

You haven't somehow partitioned them so they appear as 2 drives when you …You haven't somehow partitioned them so they appear as 2 drives when you insert the USB? - you'd see 2 (or more) drive letters appear when inserted - I accidentally partitioned a usb drive recently and wondered why it was only a fraction of the size it should have been until I check in disk management and sorted out my blunder.

Brand new, straight out of the box. No partitions.
Are they using FAT32? if they are, format it to NTFS.
So OP, did we get to the bottom of this one? Interested parties need to know!

I suddenly remembered your thread whilst messing around with a USB and wondered how you got on? Did a test reveal anything regarding capacity?

Hope you are well. All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix20/04/2020 11:27

So OP, did we get to the bottom of this one? Interested parties need to …So OP, did we get to the bottom of this one? Interested parties need to know! I suddenly remembered your thread whilst messing around with a USB and wondered how you got on? Did a test reveal anything regarding capacity?Hope you are well. All the best, Phsy.

I did check another one - 256GB which indeed was what it purported to be, took hours! There were 3 off the 128GB of which 2 were only 32GB and one which was 64GB. It is a very slow process as I am having to delete things off them and move to other sticks (SanDisk) which is very time consuming. I am going to send my findings via email later today but due to Covid etc I don't expect a quick response but I shall update the thread asap.
Vicjoaid20/04/2020 12:32

I did check another one - 256GB which indeed was what it purported to be, …I did check another one - 256GB which indeed was what it purported to be, took hours! There were 3 off the 128GB of which 2 were only 32GB and one which was 64GB. It is a very slow process as I am having to delete things off them and move to other sticks (SanDisk) which is very time consuming. I am going to send my findings via email later today but due to Covid etc I don't expect a quick response but I shall update the thread asap.

Cheers for the reply, Vicjoaid. Good to hear from you - and your progress. Doesn't sound very promising with the 128 sticks eh? I think they will definitely be interested to hear from you but; yes; it's a difficult time as you say. Still, if they aren't what they are supposed to be and they are branded "MyMemory" sticks then it's not your fault and needs addressing.

Please do keep us informed as it will be interesting to see how MyMemory handle this one. I would assume they will want the sticks back for testing so; yes; get them empty and if you can, over-write them with a wiping program if your data is private. Slow process, yes but very necessary. If the sticks are marked, record any serial numbers etc. just in case you get the same ones returned. Being of a suspicious nature, I would probably security mark them - put a little dot or scratch on them in a certain place before returning them. That's just me though...

All the best & stay safe.
Phsycronix20/04/2020 12:42

Cheers for the reply, Vicjoaid. Good to hear from you - and your progress. …Cheers for the reply, Vicjoaid. Good to hear from you - and your progress. Doesn't sound very promising with the 128 sticks eh? I think they will definitely be interested to hear from you but; yes; it's a difficult time as you say. Still, if they aren't what they are supposed to be and they are branded "MyMemory" sticks then it's not your fault and needs addressing.Please do keep us informed as it will be interesting to see how MyMemory handle this one. I would assume they will want the sticks back for testing so; yes; get them empty and if you can, over-write them with a wiping program if your data is private. Slow process, yes but very necessary. If the sticks are marked, record any serial numbers etc. just in case you get the same ones returned. Being of a suspicious nature, I would probably security mark them - put a little dot or scratch on them in a certain place before returning them. That's just me though... All the best & stay safe.

We are using a 'bleaching' program and yes - nice scratch on them, we had already written on them in 'Sharpie' but rubbed that off as much as possible, still some signs though...and photographed! Always of a suspicious nature! You never know? SMH
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions