Groups

Myths and legends, do you believe any are true?

Many myths are based on fact and many legends turn out to be true.

So what do you believe?

I believe in giants, the greeks called them titans, the Bible calls them the nephilim, many cultures have tales so why shouldn't they be based on fact, we have discovered "hobbits" a race of small homidids who are still part if folklore today in the area (i believe its the Indonesian islands), so why not giants too?.

I also believe in unicorns but not as a horned horse, if you look at older text and images they are often dipicted as goat like creatures, which makes perfect sense to me, why shouldn't there have been a mono horned goat at some point in time that we just haven't found any fossil of yet.

46 Comments

I believe in 1p chocolates at Tesco

the female orgasm....thats a myth

dragons seem reasonable, met a few.

I've just read comments from 3 trolls, so they must be real too.

Religion is one big myth, along with Ghosts, zombies. vampires. (but not aliens! 8))

leemac22

Catch 22 is also a myth. If you can't catch it the first 21 times then what is the point.

Vert OT here - but another myth is people's reluctance on tv quiz shows to state who their employer is?
    I know its to do with an old wives' tale myth that its to do with advertising, but its not actually advertising saying who you work for?
    For instance, one guy said "i work as a salesman for britains biggest telecommunications provider speciallising in Phone and broadband products" Wouldnt it have just been easier to say 'i work for BT'

Anyway, back on topic now

if it makes people feel better why not,
    however a bit like the bible and other holy books they should be taken for what they are, stories.

we live in a democracy and I am free to go about my life as I please

118luke

Vert OT here - but another myth is people's reluctance on tv quiz shows … Vert OT here - but another myth is people's reluctance on tv quiz shows to state who their employer is?I know its to do with an old wives' tale myth that its to do with advertising, but its not actually advertising saying who you work for?For instance, one guy said "i work as a salesman for britains biggest telecommunications provider speciallising in Phone and broadband products" Wouldnt it have just been easier to say 'i work for BT'Anyway, back on topic now

My car failed it's mot yesterday.

Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2).

OldEnglish

My car failed it's mot yesterday.Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has … My car failed it's mot yesterday.Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage has excessive play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2).

That, unfortunately for you, is a reality rather than a myth

Is there any empirical evidence to confirm your beliefs OP?

Yes, gigantism exists but there isn't any evidence of a species of "Giants".
    Unicorns. lol

Greek mythology. Bible. lol

118luke

That, unfortunately for you, is a reality rather than a myth

depends where they took it to, only reality is they paid to have it replaced in some places

monsters are definitely 100% real. a good true example is the incredible hulk ?
    when i ask my mrs to do my ironing, cook me a meal (cause her feet are smaller so she can get closer to the cooker) and give me sex afterwards...... i often see someone go from a small petite person to a raving lunatic !

Stories like the biblical floods. I believe something similar must have happened as the story appears across multiple religions and across various texts. The epic of Gilgamesh contains elements of it. Was it sent by God? Not likely. Was it more likely to be rapid sea level rise caused by a melt water glacial dam rupturing? Probably.

Dragons/unicorns/mythical creatures? Made up to explain things that had no scientific explanation at the time, expanded upon by retelling of stories. Imagine trying explain a Komodo dragon without pictures. Something capable of running down and killing a human, and after a voyage back to civilisation, and multiple tellings, suddenly it's a fire breathing monster the size of a house

leemac22

Oneday77

Catch 22 is also a myth. If you can't catch it the first 21 times then … Catch 22 is also a myth. If you can't catch it the first 21 times then what is the point.

(Crossover to the "Random facts" thread)

Joseph Heller's 1961 novel, "Catch-22", was original going to be called "Catch-18", but earlier in the year "Mila 18" (a novel by Leon Uris) was published, & Heller changed the title to avoid confusion.

The first chapter was originally published in 1955 as "Catch-18" (in Issue 7 of "New World Writing").

[ nytimes.com/boo…tml ]

No i don't believe in any myths as i'm a grown up.

sowotsdis

we live in a democracy and I am free to go about my life as I please

​there are still laws in a democracy, I am not prevented from doing anything which I want to do.

Maybe worth considering why you want to do things which you are not allowed?

Original Poster

CoeK

No i don't believe in any myths as i'm a grown up.

Boring

Error440

Boring

True, I often wish I was still a child. Christmas is much more fun when you think Santa brings you presents.

OK well they/re always going on at me telling me it's your Marks & Spencers but you try to walk out with something they don't half kick up a fuss and they've even got cops backing up their big scam!
    How is that democracy?

smico_wales

the female orgasm....thats a myth

Your obviously doing it wrong mate.

I have always believed that the government tests their biological weapons on the population, turns out that's true.

I believe in the loch Ness monster and narnia. I used to try to travel to narnia as a child in my wardrobe.

Gillybean177

I believe in the loch Ness monster and narnia. I used to try to travel … I believe in the loch Ness monster and narnia. I used to try to travel to narnia as a child in my wardrobe.

​would that be the same one my camp mate came out of a few years ago

123thisisme

I have always believed that the government tests their biological weapons … I have always believed that the government tests their biological weapons on the population, turns out that's true.

were they mind altering ones?
    judging by some on here ........

lollypoplee

​would that be the same one my camp mate came out of a few years ago

Did you share a tent with them?

I'm a bit mythtified by this thread.

shadey12

were they mind altering ones?judging by some on here ........

No, its the nasty ones form Porton down.

123thisisme

Your obviously doing it wrong mate.

​it's out of a film. jay and silent bob strike back

I believe that Thanos will one day come down to Earth and try to massacre everyone with Infinity stones

I believe that if you say Biggie Smalls three times in the mirror, he will come out and rape you.

I believe that if you say the Fish sticks joke to Kanye West, he will catch you, strap you to a chair and knock your head off your shoulders with a baseball bat.

I guess if I had to it would be aliens or alien life of some form it has to be out there somewhere we simply can not be the only planet with life form you only have to look on our planet at the billions of species to know nature knows how to evolve in every single situation from living organisms in underwater volcanos to fish birds mammals bugs and even living things inside of us. So 100% I believe some form of alien life is on another planet somewhere in our infinite universe.

118luke

Vert OT here - but another myth is people's reluctance on tv quiz shows … Vert OT here - but another myth is people's reluctance on tv quiz shows to state who their employer is?I know its to do with an old wives' tale myth that its to do with advertising, but its not actually advertising saying who you work for?For instance, one guy said "i work as a salesman for britains biggest telecommunications provider speciallising in Phone and broadband products" Wouldnt it have just been easier to say 'i work for BT'Anyway, back on topic now

I just thought that was people trying to make themselves sound more interesting than they are. I'd imagine that's what stops you topping yourself if you work for BT.

I know for a fact that hobgoblins exist.

oO

kitty X)

hass123

I believe that if you say Biggie Smalls three times in the mirror, he … I believe that if you say Biggie Smalls three times in the mirror, he will come out and rape you.

oO Wtf ......

I think i believe in god, but i am not sure.

I am afraid of ghosts but i dont actually believe in ghosts. Sounds very confusing doesnt it? Lol X)

Banned

Jesus did exist but he walked "by" the water rather than "on" it. (the ancient word meant the same thing).

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/07/58/81/0758813f5d2a51796367f3d65551fb36.jpg
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 26th Jan
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…56
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon11
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391111
      4. win a hamper - orbit homes - kent commuter mag88

See more discussions