N40L Server replacement for Plex Transcoding

Found 4th May 2015
I'm looking for a server to replace my N40L as its struggles to transcode with Plex. I was looking at the Proliant G8 but this has put me off:

pcpro.co.uk/new…ers.

Instead I'm now looking at the Lenovo TS140 although it's twice as much as the G8 after cashback! So wondering what to go for, HP Proliant G8 or Lenovo TS140 or something else? ta!

20 Comments

Go for the one with the best CPU, I'd check to see if you can transcode with a cuda enabled GPU.

Why not just buy a half decent player, you can get Kodi devices for £20 now and don't have to do crappy second rate solution transcoding.

dcx_badass

Why not just buy a half decent player, you can get Kodi devices for £20 … Why not just buy a half decent player, you can get Kodi devices for £20 now and don't have to do crappy second rate solution transcoding.

Maybe the op client is a tablet or phone or another computer?

enigmatik33

Maybe the op client is a tablet or phone or another computer?

All three of which can play any file without transcoding so not sure what point you're trying to make...

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Why not just buy a half decent player, you can get Kodi devices for £20 … Why not just buy a half decent player, you can get Kodi devices for £20 now and don't have to do crappy second rate solution transcoding.

I have used XBMC (Kodi) for years but since I've found Plex I much prefer it's ease of use. By getting one decent server I can then spread my media to every other device in the house (Xbox One in front room, wife's Ipad Mini, my galaxy note, as well as chrome cast, now tv box etc) XBMC was great for one device but now with a family all using different bits of kit it's less easy to set up. Thanks for your thoughts though

dcx_badass

All three of which can play any file without transcoding so not sure what … All three of which can play any file without transcoding so not sure what point you're trying to make...

Plex app transcodes my mkv both for my mobile and tablet.

Original Poster

kester76

Go for the one with the best CPU, I'd check to see if you can transcode … Go for the one with the best CPU, I'd check to see if you can transcode with a cuda enabled GPU.

The TS140 has the better processor but not sure about Cuda. Will have to do some research!

BraveSirRobin

The TS140 has the better processor but not sure about Cuda. Will have to … The TS140 has the better processor but not sure about Cuda. Will have to do some research!

Think plex only uses cpu transcoding. Have same problem myself. A Xeon quad core seems the way, but like the iLo on microserver so looking at Tower G7 models or building something from G7 Xeon motherboard.

enigmatik33

Plex app transcodes my mkv both for my mobile and tablet.

Kodi plays them natively without a PC trans-coding them.

Original Poster

I guess building my own server would stop HP forcing me into a support contract just to get firmware updates! I'd still consider a HP pre-built server if I can find firmware updates elsewhere. Will have to see how the Tower G7 compares to the Lenovo TS140 (both have Xeon options)

rev6

Kodi plays them natively without a PC trans-coding them.

As an app on Android and Windows 8.1?

enigmatik33

As an app on Android and Windows 8.1?

And ipad I've got kodi running on 3xwin 8.1 1xsamsung s4 1xwin 10 and ipad 3
Well xbmc/kodi. Stupid ipad sucks at editing hotukdeal posts though

Original Poster

I have used both XBMC (Kodi) and Plex and found Plex best suits my requirements. I didn't ask about what media software to use, although I understand why using Kodi was suggested. I'm more interested in an appropriate server for my own home set-up. Sorry guys just trying to bring this thread back to the original topic!

BraveSirRobin

I have used both XBMC (Kodi) and Plex and found Plex best suits my … I have used both XBMC (Kodi) and Plex and found Plex best suits my requirements. I didn't ask about what media software to use, although I understand why using Kodi was suggested. I'm more interested in an appropriate server for my own home set-up. Sorry guys just trying to bring this thread back to the original topic!

I haven't used PLEX but haven't you thought of another software that remuxes instead of transcodes? Transcoding is such an inefficient way for media playback. I think servio remuxes.

Edited by: "rev6" 5th May 2015

Original Poster

Servio Transcodes aswell although I believe it will remux on the fly? The problem is remuxing doesn't make all files playable on all devices (where as transcoding does). I could convert all my media but I'm trying to avoid that!

BraveSirRobin

Servio Transcodes aswell although I believe it will remux on the fly? The … Servio Transcodes aswell although I believe it will remux on the fly? The problem is remuxing doesn't make all files playable on all devices (where as transcoding does). I could convert all my media but I'm trying to avoid that!

What devices are you having issues with ? Most 2010 devices support h.264 native and shouldn't require transcoding.

Original Poster

Had issues with Plex app on Amazon Fire tv, constant stuttering even on ethernet. Xbox One app struggles with HD movies too.

BraveSirRobin

Had issues with Plex app on Amazon Fire tv, constant stuttering even on … Had issues with Plex app on Amazon Fire tv, constant stuttering even on ethernet. Xbox One app struggles with HD movies too.

pretty sure both those support mkv now. can you just mount an smb share with them ?

just checked and nope, xboxone pretty crap for video sharing. fire tv allows kodi so I'd run that instead. you are running all this through a switch and not a wifi router ?

Original Poster

My XBox One is on WIFI but my N40L server is through a switch to my router. I could plug my Xbox One into the router if I re-arrange a few things. I want to move away from Kodi as I want a single media server solution for all my devices so sticking with plex. After reading this thread I'm tempted to re-encode my media to make my sharing more efficient rather than just brute force transcoding it all. I have ordered a new server though (found a Fujitsu Primergy TX100 S3 Server Xeon E3-1220 with 16GB ram on ebay for less than £280) so can transcode until I've re-ripped and encoded my movie collection. Might even dabble in to the world of VM Thanks for the input everyone!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants