N64 mini a go? Nintendo Files Trademark For N64 controller

Found 20th Jul 2017
euipo.europa.eu/eSe…ch/

Of course, they have done the same for the NES and SNES controllers.

It might seem obvious, but then again a big chunk of N64 classics won't appear because it's owned by Rare (or rather Microsoft). So, that means no Goldeneye. No Perfect Dark. No Banjo. No Conker. No Jet Force Gemini. No Blast Corps.

The good thing about NES and SNES minis is the variety of third party games. Third parties were on board big time for those platforms. Not so for N64, so an N64 mini library would consist of mainly (or only) Nintendo games. Eh.

Not to mention costs.

£70 or £80 for a SNES mini, and I think with that Nintendo has pushed right up to the edge in terms of opportunity cost (on their end) and value proposition (on our end). Would a £99 N64 mini be as anticipated? Because I can't see it going for any cheaper. Then you have to consider cost of extra N64 mini controllers, as I doubt they will pack in four controllers. Or heck even two (like they have for SNES mini).

Honestly, I would have expected a Game Boy mini next, and then a GBA mini after that. Unlike the NES and SNES, the N64 (and GCN) just don't have the mass selling appeal for a retro gimmick gift.
Community Updates
22 Comments
I don't know, i mean they should have done it for everything upto the Switch mini, it might be just being on the safe side.

And no one owns goldeneye its lost to licensing hell which is why its not on rare replay.
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 20th Jul 2017
I would have it, pilotwings, starfox, Mario, mariokart, waverace, ocarina of time. I like all of these games, no idea which are owned by who though.
Error440

I don't know, i mean they should have done it for everything upto the … I don't know, i mean they should have done it for everything upto the Switch mini, it might be just being on the safe side.And no one owns goldeneye its lost to licensing hell which is why its not on rare replay.

I have a copy if it would still take old games. I actually have an N64 still somewhere, along with most of the others.
CoeK

I would have it, pilotwings, starfox, Mario, mariokart, waverace, ocarina … I would have it, pilotwings, starfox, Mario, mariokart, waverace, ocarina of time. I like all of these games, no idea which are owned by who though.

Most of those have been reworked for 3DS tho
Error440

Most of those have been reworked for 3DS tho

I don't have a 3DS.
CoeK3 m ago

I don't have a 3DS.

You should get one, they're fantastic.

Any N64 mini will not take carts.
CoeK

I have a copy if it would still take old games. I actually have an N64 … I have a copy if it would still take old games. I actually have an N64 still somewhere, along with most of the others.

I have many things too, about 30 consoles or something not counting doubles, but then you have the issues of lack of saves for earlier stuff and anything further back then Ps2 looks utterly awful on a hdtv.

I've ordered the Snes mini. I've got two Sneses ones region free and all the games that i had, so I've got the street fighter, the mario kart, the starfox..., does it have killer instinct? I've forgotten
Nintendo can release all the mini hardware it wants, but if they use this to delay/withhold from the Switch virtual console then that'd be frustrating to say the least!
Error440

I have many things too, about 30 consoles or something not counting … I have many things too, about 30 consoles or something not counting doubles, but then you have the issues of lack of saves for earlier stuff and anything further back then Ps2 looks utterly awful on a hdtv.I've ordered the Snes mini. I've got two Sneses ones region free and all the games that i had, so I've got the street fighter, the mario kart, the starfox..., does it have killer instinct? I've forgotten

I have an old Snes, but the power cable needs soldered, a megadrive and an N64, apart from that I only have an xbox gears of war limited edition and a normal xbox one, and a PC. No idea what games I have apart from goldeneye and donkey kong. Not looked them out since I moved house last year.
Krooner

You should get one, they're fantastic. Any N64 mini will not take carts.

Not a fan of handheld, the switch is the first handheld console I've been interested in.
Wouldn't call the switch a handheld, your doing yourself a disservice, the GBA was the best Snes mini ever, better then the snes snes.

I have many handheld consoles from the atari lynx version 1 (and 2) to the vita and new 3ds, and things you may not know like the GP32, gameking 2, watara super vision and wonderswan and so on because handhelds are the best.

Its sad everything is going Android now
Original Poster Banned
Error44040 m ago

I don't know, i mean they should have done it for everything upto the …I don't know, i mean they should have done it for everything upto the Switch mini, it might be just being on the safe side.And no one owns goldeneye its lost to licensing hell which is why its not on rare replay.

Actually, it's a joint thing. Back when that Goldeneye remake was being made, Rare was actually working on an HD remaster for GE64 on the 360. And would have made a version for Wii as well. Why didn't it happen? Nintendo. They backed out of the deal. I should have clarified, but the point of mine was if you want any of those games you need Rare (or rather MS on board).
Error4401 h, 40 m ago

Wouldn't call the switch a handheld, your doing yourself a disservice, the …Wouldn't call the switch a handheld, your doing yourself a disservice, the GBA was the best Snes mini ever, better then the snes snes.I have many handheld consoles from the atari lynx version 1 (and 2) to the vita and new 3ds, and things you may not know like the GP32, gameking 2, watara super vision and wonderswan and so on because handhelds are the best.Its sad everything is going Android now

Best snes mini is the new 2DS XL unless you like 3D. GBA lacked the extra buttons, resolution and cpu speed. The original 3ds and 2ds still could't 100% the snes.
Banned
Super Mario 64 was the greatest game ever in my opinion, therefore it is now FACT!
neilanderton1

Actually, it's a joint thing. Back when that Goldeneye remake was being … Actually, it's a joint thing. Back when that Goldeneye remake was being made, Rare was actually working on an HD remaster for GE64 on the 360. And would have made a version for Wii as well. Why didn't it happen? Nintendo. They backed out of the deal. I should have clarified, but the point of mine was if you want any of those games you need Rare (or rather MS on board).

I don't think either of them have the bond license now
kester76

Best snes mini is the new 2DS XL unless you like 3D. GBA lacked the … Best snes mini is the new 2DS XL unless you like 3D. GBA lacked the extra buttons, resolution and cpu speed. The original 3ds and 2ds still could't 100% the snes.

GBA had all the lovely Snes style platformers and RPGs etc lovely 16bitness
just give me wrestlemania 2000 and NWO revenge and I am good to go
Original Poster Banned
Error4403 h, 28 m ago

I don't think either of them have the bond license now

The license is the easy part. The game itself is owned (or rather part owned) by Nintendo and MS.

Same deal for original Crash Trilogy. Even though Activision owns the IP, Sony owns the distribution and code to the original trilogy (and CTR). Meaning, they would not need Activision's say so to release the original games as is (as we can see with their releases as PS1 classics on Vita). They would only need Activision's say so if they tried to remake the games, or reproduce the original content (the crash bonus level in UC4).

The only thing stopping GE64 is MS and Nintendo agreeing to a deal. Last time, it was Nintendo that backed out.
Money talks, I don't think a Nintendo/MS deal is out of the realms of possibility. I also notice there is some degree of public friendliness between them. Microsoft congratulated Nintendo on the Switch launch on Twitter via their Xbox account..for what its worth..
Original Poster Banned
That's not quite right. It's not money talks. It's the right amount talks.

The reason the deal fell apart the last time was because the right amount could not be agreed upon.

And that was with a simple standalone HD revision selling for full price. During a time when MS allowed Rare to make DKR for DS.
I'd be interested in a N64 Mini but I still have my N64 and a bunch of games ready to use whenever I like.

Would depend on what games come included.
benjammin31617 h, 48 m ago

just give me wrestlemania 2000 and NWO revenge and I am good to go

A 'No Mercy' that doesn't delete your CAW's is the winner.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants