Namesco or cheapdomainnames.co.uk charging £12 exit fee if you want to move your domain name

Found 13th Dec 2012
You only find out the hard wayI Wanted to share what happening with 123 reg and now Names.co.uk .Decided that the renewal for 2 years came in at £23 for another 2 years despite if you register a new domain it only costs £9.99 I would move to oneandone. Rang Namesco up and asked if a, the renewal price was correct, yes says the rep, asks if b, there is an exit fee, no says the rep. Upon transfer stung with a £12 fee to transfer tag! If you're with Easily.co.uk they don't charge , nor do oneandone.co.uk Think about this when you consider signing a new Domain name with Names co.uk,123reg or cheapdomainnames.co.uk.
It may save you money in the long run and I always believe that information is a powerful tool for the consumer.
Community Updates
15 Comments

and I always believe that information is a powerful tool for the consumer.

Praise the lord! I do believe.
Edited by: "Alistair1234" 13th Dec 2012
Alistair1234

Praise the lord! I do believe.

Hallelujah, bless you my child! :0
Dunno, they make it fairly clear that they charge a tenner plus vat to transfer a domain away from them. If you didn't read the T&C (or people on the net saying not to touch them with a bargepole) that's your fault really.

names.co.uk/sup…tml

Are you sure?

We have nothing to hide, we are completely transparentWith us there are no nasty hidden charges or surprises. When it comes to our charges we are completely transparent, the price you see is the price you pay.

No hidden charges to transfer awayIn the unlikely event you want to transfer your domain away we don't charge any extra fees. Some registrars will charge huge fees just to leave them.

No sneaky renewal changesWith 123-reg you get what you pay for. If you buy a domain with a 1 year renewal period with us, you get a domain that auto-renews every year.. for a year. We won't change the amount of time we auto-renew for and suddenly charge you for more years than you originally wanted like some other registrars.

Thanks for the heads up!
guv

Are you sure?We have nothing to hide, we are completely transparentWith … Are you sure?We have nothing to hide, we are completely transparentWith us there are no nasty hidden charges or surprises. When it comes to our charges we are completely transparent, the price you see is the price you pay.No hidden charges to transfer awayIn the unlikely event you want to transfer your domain away we don't charge any extra fees. Some registrars will charge huge fees just to leave them.No sneaky renewal changesWith 123-reg you get what you pay for. If you buy a domain with a 1 year renewal period with us, you get a domain that auto-renews every year.. for a year. We won't change the amount of time we auto-renew for and suddenly charge you for more years than you originally wanted like some other registrars.

123 reg charged me to in Jan 2012 to transfer to GoDaddy so hopefully they may have now repented. Still don't understand why some do charge and others don't, its an automatic electronic transaction. Are the good guys shelling out £12 a time for transfers...I don't think so!
WG47

Dunno, they make it fairly clear that they charge a tenner plus vat to … Dunno, they make it fairly clear that they charge a tenner plus vat to transfer a domain away from them. If you didn't read the T&C (or people on the net saying not to touch them with a bargepole) that's your fault really.http://www.names.co.uk/support/domains/1153-transferring_a_domain_name_away_from_namesco.html

Entirely my fault going to them with out reading the small print and understanding it fully. You don't expect to pay an exit fee if youre moving your mobile, broadband or insurances at the end of the contract. Namesco invite you to renew your domain and so was happy to shop around, find a deal a quarter of the cost and transfer elsewhere.
0049ner

123 reg charged me to in Jan 2012 to transfer to GoDaddy so hopefully … 123 reg charged me to in Jan 2012 to transfer to GoDaddy so hopefully they may have now repented. Still don't understand why some do charge and others don't, its an automatic electronic transaction. Are the good guys shelling out £12 a time for transfers...I don't think so!

Isnt that something you need to take up with 123-reg? I have about 10 domains with them and always check before renewing them that there is no transfer out charges.
Isnt that something you need to take up with 123-reg? I have about 10 domains with them and always check before renewing them that there is no transfer out charges.[/quote]

I checked it was on the 27/12/11. I was charged (£11-99) to renew the domain because I think I was outside the window for transfer which has to be made a certain time before domain expires, (might be 10 days, can't remember). Fortunately Go Daddy were offering to honor the existing time left on the domain, so I renewed with 123 and then transferred for 1 year + 364 days free.
All I know it was not as straight forward as I think it could be. I have 50 domains now mostly with godaddy and joker for .coms and oneandone for co.uk's. Do 123reg have the same price for renewals as if you were to take out a new domain with them? That's what annoyed me with Namesco. The price was £9-99 if it was a new order and see below extract of renewal invitation

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SERVICE DATE DUE AMOUNT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
f**********e.co.uk - for 24 months (card ending
7009 - ) [EXPIRY ] 02/03/2014 £19.99

----------------------
NET AMOUNT £19.99
VAT £4.00
TOTAL DUE £23.99

0049ner

I checked it was on the 27/12/11. I was charged (£11-99) to renew the … I checked it was on the 27/12/11. I was charged (£11-99) to renew the domain because I think I was outside the window for transfer which has to be made a certain time before domain expires, (might be 10 days, can't remember). Fortunately Go Daddy were offering to honor the existing time left on the domain, so I renewed with 123 and then transferred for 1 year + 364 days free.All I know it was not as straight forward as I think it could be. I have 50 domains now mostly with godaddy and joker for .coms and oneandone for co.uk's. Do 123reg have the same price for renewals as if you were to take out a new domain with them? That's what annoyed me with Namesco. The price was £9-99 if it was a new order and see below extract of renewal invitation ---------------------------------------------------------------------------SERVICE DATE DUE AMOUNT---------------------------------------------------------------------------f**********e.co.uk - for 24 months (card ending7009 - ) [EXPIRY ] 02/03/2014 £19.99 ---------------------- NET AMOUNT £19.99 VAT £4.00 TOTAL DUE £23.99

Ironically, Big Daddy are a company who often have introductory prices to tempt punters that you won't get on renewal. and of course they will honour the time remaining on your domain- its yours! They can't make you pay for it twice.

And what you've said about 123-reg charging to transfer is by your own account above, not true. If you fail to renew in time, that's not 123-reg's fault - and EVERY company charge a premium to keep the domain without it going back in the pool to the general public 3 months later.
Edited by: "guv" 13th Dec 2012
[quote=guv]

Agree with you, but the existing domain had not expired with them but was not in 'their' window of transfer. You're right with GoDaddy but I have gone to them with 10 year renewals/ periods/ advances so hopefully they won't go under and who knows what costs will be in the future. The point I was trying to make is that out of 5 people I've used 3 charge have special requirements and 2 don't. As you said it really is important to look at the long game and read the terms and conditions and hopefully understand them fully!
0049ner

[quote=guv] Agree with you, but the existing domain had not expired with … [quote=guv] Agree with you, but the existing domain had not expired with them but was not in 'their' window of transfer. You're right with GoDaddy but I have gone to them with 10 year renewals/ periods/ advances so hopefully they won't go under and who knows what costs will be in the future. The point I was trying to make is that out of 5 people I've used 3 charge have special requirements and 2 don't. As you said it really is important to look at the long game and read the terms and conditions and hopefully understand them fully!

Not really sure what you mean? Are you talking about the final 30 days before it expires where they email to remind its up for renewal?

If it was that, I think I would have slug it out with them unless they could show it in their t&cs and was valid at the time of purchase. Seems most strange!

On the GoDaddy front though - they charge much more for co.uk's and they also charge for privacy, which123-reg is free. (Dreamhost is free for .coms)
guv

Not really sure what you mean? Are you talking about the final 30 days … Not really sure what you mean? Are you talking about the final 30 days before it expires where they email to remind its up for renewal?If it was that, I think I would have slug it out with them unless they could show it in their t&cs and was valid at the time of purchase. Seems most strange!On the GoDaddy front though - they charge much more for co.uk's and they also charge for privacy, which123-reg is free. (Dreamhost is free for .coms)

Yep it was in the time that I had received the renewal but I can't find the email stating that I couldnt change in the last 7 to 10 days.Because the Go Daddy thing was so cheap I was happy to renew and not lose that time I had paid for. You're completely right about the Go Daddy cost for .co.uk hence I use oneandone ( I've been with them since they started in the UK which must be more that 10 years now). The last time I transferred .coms and .info and .net, Go Daddy gave free privacy on + 5 domains transferred at the same time.
0049ner

Yep it was in the time that I had received the renewal but I can't find … Yep it was in the time that I had received the renewal but I can't find the email stating that I couldnt change in the last 7 to 10 days.Because the Go Daddy thing was so cheap I was happy to renew and not lose that time I had paid for. You're completely right about the Go Daddy cost for .co.uk hence I use oneandone ( I've been with them since they started in the UK which must be more that 10 years now). The last time I transferred .coms and .info and .net, Go Daddy gave free privacy on + 5 domains transferred at the same time.

Haha.... It's kinda odd. The two companies you've mentioned are two I would never use! Godaddy charge for privacy and also have signed up with that digital protection malarkey. And oneandone arre (IMHO) one of the worst hosts out there. The CP on 1&1 is not straight forward. They are very slow with support and I'm certain (not gonna put money on it) that they are a company that do charge to leave! (I'm not gonna search as it doesn't really matter!) just thought it funny you'd picked on probably the worst of the UK / US hosts whilst discarding 123reg. It just goes to highlight perceptions from experience I guess!
guv

Haha.... It's kinda odd. The two companies you've mentioned are two I … Haha.... It's kinda odd. The two companies you've mentioned are two I would never use! Godaddy charge for privacy and also have signed up with that digital protection malarkey. And oneandone arre (IMHO) one of the worst hosts out there. The CP on 1&1 is not straight forward. They are very slow with support and I'm certain (not gonna put money on it) that they are a company that do charge to leave! (I'm not gonna search as it doesn't really matter!) just thought it funny you'd picked on probably the worst of the UK / US hosts whilst discarding 123reg. It just goes to highlight perceptions from experience I guess!

I guess they are both major players with zillions of turnover so bound to be some people who have had issues with them. I can only speak as I find and oneandone in 10 years have never failed to offer me good service and near dammit 100% uptime, I can't remember the last time my freewebmonitoring.com programme was triggered for either 1&1,GoDaddy or Joker.com but can't be said for the others albeit normally in the early hours! Funnily enough years ago I used Webfusion (123Reg Parent company) and I had issues with them when it came to leaving etc, should have learnt my lesson then
Its the locking in not wanting to let you go ideology thing that got me started on this thread, its a bit like the Banks, Utilities a few years ago, it was always a performance to swop to a different provider but fortunately legislation and the all the comparison sites helped the consumer if they so wished to move. Perhaps there is a Domain / Hosting Price Checker website out there??
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants