Groups

nas buy or diy

Hello was looking at buying a nas device or should I do my own build with mini atx case any advice much appreciated thanks

9 Comments

What's your budget and use case? Home media access from outside of the network? Downloads directly to the NAS via built in torrent client?

Original Poster

Home media no need for outside access, able to stream 4k via lan prob looking at about 400 quid

Original Poster

Direct downloads would be good also

Depending on where placed(I.e. Lounge) noise can be factor in the diy route and can add a bit of cost to quieten down.an hp micro server with freenas is fun but somehow I like the synology for ease and addons.

Loads of us on here run HP Microservers, under £150, I've had my three for 5-6 years.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Loads of us on here run HP Microservers, under £150, I've had my three … Loads of us on here run HP Microservers, under £150, I've had my three for 5-6 years.

​Hello m8 what really these micro servers capable of and can dvd drive be replaced with a boot drive

steevojohno

​Hello m8 what really these micro servers capable of and can dvd drive be … ​Hello m8 what really these micro servers capable of and can dvd drive be replaced with a boot drive

​N36L, N40L and N54L ODD can be swapped for a hard drive but I think it needs custom firmware to unlock the full sata speed else you're stuck at sata I.
    terfmop.co.uk/blo…rt/

Not sure about Gen 8 or 9 but I'd say you will probably have similar restrictions keeping the ODD bay at SATA II.

Edited by: "kester76" 12th Jan

New HP ML10, Dell T20, or even better a near new HP ML110 G7 if you can find one. Install a Linux/Windows OS of your choice, install the disks and install Plex.
    Instant media server.
    Personally I'd go for the Xeon CPU versions If your are looking at 4k streaming.
    Edited by: "Uridium" 12th Jan

Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73744437
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423114446
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767107
      4. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1446

See more discussions