NAS selection

Posted 8th Dec 2019
Guys

NAS prices are sky high but then some probably need those. For home use I'll like to have couple of terabyte where important documents and personal photos & videos can be stored. Also 4k movies transcoding can be bonus though my TV can handle it anyway. I'm looking at Synology DS218 or DS218+. These looked good and I'll like to stick 2TB WD gold or HGST ultrastar drives in it. Does it sound good? Any practical experience or advice you can share, will be appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
This model is synology 2bay nas
I've got 8tb of RAIDed Synology NAS in the hall cupboard. Mostly photos. I rely on Googledrive for document offsite backup. You can choose all sorts of models and pay all sorts of prices. I agree on HGST drives.

My only tip is to think very long and very hard about indexing and then be religious about implementing the standard to stop duplication. Its a complete whatsit to sort if you are lazy as I have been and bitterly regret it.
Have had a Synology DS218+ for about 1 year now. Put 2 WD RED 3 TB drives, an extra 4GB Memory and 4 additional camera licences.
I have it running 6 4MP IP Cameras on hi res and Plex installed along with about 500GB films and TV.
Hasn't missed a beat. Although I am probably not using it to it's full potential, am more than happy with the performance.
Edited by: "Bingstroller" 8th Dec 2019
218+ is pretty good, personally I would stretch a little and get the 718+ (this is the one I have) as it has a quad core processor so if you are transcoding then it will handle it better.
Second hand microserver or a raspberry pi 4 will do fine (two usb3.0 and gigabit ethernet).

As for the transcoding, it's messy and pointless when you can get a £25 player than can play basically every file type there is perfectly. My £25 box will do a 100gb 4k hevc 10bit hdr film with HD audio without a problem.
ccnp08/12/2019 19:16

I've got 8tb of RAIDed Synology NAS in the hall cupboard. Mostly photos. …I've got 8tb of RAIDed Synology NAS in the hall cupboard. Mostly photos. I rely on Googledrive for document offsite backup. You can choose all sorts of models and pay all sorts of prices. I agree on HGST drives. My only tip is to think very long and very hard about indexing and then be religious about implementing the standard to stop duplication. Its a complete whatsit to sort if you are lazy as I have been and bitterly regret it.

Many Thanks for the tip about indexing. It's first attempt at nas so many questions
dcx_badass08/12/2019 20:09

Second hand microserver or a raspberry pi 4 will do fine (two usb3.0 and …Second hand microserver or a raspberry pi 4 will do fine (two usb3.0 and gigabit ethernet).As for the transcoding, it's messy and pointless when you can get a £25 player than can play basically every file type there is perfectly. My £25 box will do a 100gb 4k hevc 10bit hdr film with HD audio without a problem.

Thanks For the reply, got spare hp gen 7 and gen 8 microserver. Reading online the electricity bill can be substantial for these as compared to synology, so not suggested option and freenas or similar options can't match synology kit of apps and out of the box function?

what is the player you mentioned?
Bingstroller08/12/2019 19:16

Have had a Synology DS218+ for about 1 year now. Put 2 WD RED 3 TB drives, …Have had a Synology DS218+ for about 1 year now. Put 2 WD RED 3 TB drives, an extra 4GB Memory and 4 additional camera licences.I have it running 6 4MP IP Cameras on hi res and Plex installed along with about 500GB films and TV.Hasn't missed a beat. Although I am probably not using it to it's full potential, am more than happy with the performance.

That's Awesome
I like to have a UPS for home camera, Internet router, nas and phone but that's different discussion
emmkay08/12/2019 20:48

Thanks For the reply, got spare hp gen 7 and gen 8 microserver. Reading … Thanks For the reply, got spare hp gen 7 and gen 8 microserver. Reading online the electricity bill can be substantial for these as compared to synology, so not suggested option and freenas or similar options can't match synology kit of apps and out of the box function?what is the player you mentioned?

I have an N36L and n40l microserver and I'm sure it was worked out they were under £30 a year to run, and you could have it off during the day whilst you're out.

Player wise basically any amlogic based device. I've got 4 myself and setup 5-10 for others, work great. The s905x boxes are good but if you're not desperate the new and much faster (not that I've ever found the other slow) s905x3, 4gb ram, gigabit ethernet boxes are now £20-25. Then you run coreelec in it which is basically kodi running on a minimal Linux (not android etc) so it absolutely flies. It'll run everything you throw at it perfectly. Coreelec doesn't support the s905x3 yet but they're adding it currently and expect it soon. I've bought one ready and it arrived in around a week and seems like a good bit of kit (I paid £19 with vouchers).

aliexpress.com/ite…tml
Ive just ordered the 218j for the wife (don't need the 4k transcoding). Usually buy qnap devices but this looks damn good for £130
emmkay08/12/2019 20:48

Thanks For the reply, got spare hp gen 7 and gen 8 microserver. Reading …Thanks For the reply, got spare hp gen 7 and gen 8 microserver. Reading online the electricity bill can be substantial for these as compared to synology, so not suggested option and freenas or similar options can't match synology kit of apps and out of the box function?what is the player you mentioned?

Agree about the electric, I used to use an old pc as a NAS, replaced it with a Synology and the electricity saved in 18 months has paid for it. I has a Plex server so it's on 24/7
Edited by: "paulj48" 8th Dec 2019
emmkay08/12/2019 20:50

That's Awesome I like to have a UPS for home camera, Internet router, …That's Awesome I like to have a UPS for home camera, Internet router, nas and phone but that's different discussion

Likewise, have 3 scattered around the house. Belkin for desktop but have Cyberpower for the other 2, (like the convenience of the LCD Display!)
paulj4808/12/2019 21:03

Agree about the electric, I used to use an old pc as a NAS, replaced it …Agree about the electric, I used to use an old pc as a NAS, replaced it with a Synology and the electricity saved in 18 months has paid for it. I has a Plex server so it's on 24/7

I echo this. Just moved from my HP Microserver Gen8 running Xpenlogy (Synology) to QNAP TS328. Having a smart meter installed recently made me aware of the power usage. Gone from 68W down to 17W an hour for the same 3No WD Red drives. Considering this is on 24/7 will get my money back in the long run.

It common knowledge both QNAP and Synology make the best NAS devices and their software is well supported by third parties. QNAP is usually a bit cheaper so worth checking them out.
Have a Qnap TS-221 myself with 2x 3tb drives its been running non stop since 2014 with no issues, not even had to change a drive yet.

It does have Plex but i found it to sluggish to handle it very well but it is an old model.. i currently run Plex via an Intel Nuc.

The Qnaps have tons of apps most of which i don't use as its only used to share my vids and pics currently.
ChrisKaru09/12/2019 06:54

I echo this. Just moved from my HP Microserver Gen8 running Xpenlogy …I echo this. Just moved from my HP Microserver Gen8 running Xpenlogy (Synology) to QNAP TS328. Having a smart meter installed recently made me aware of the power usage. Gone from 68W down to 17W an hour for the same 3No WD Red drives. Considering this is on 24/7 will get my money back in the long run. It common knowledge both QNAP and Synology make the best NAS devices and their software is well supported by third parties. QNAP is usually a bit cheaper so worth checking them out.

That's about £70 a year saving on an average electric bill so will soon pay for itself, I don't think some people realise that devices on 24/7 soon rack up the bill.
paulj4809/12/2019 09:58

That's about £70 a year saving on an average electric bill so will soon …That's about £70 a year saving on an average electric bill so will soon pay for itself, I don't think some people realise that devices on 24/7 soon rack up the bill.

Based on that saving, my ROI is 3 and a bit years as the QNAP cost me £230. Just need to flog the Microserver on eBay.
ChrisKaru09/12/2019 11:20

Based on that saving, my ROI is 3 and a bit years as the QNAP cost me …Based on that saving, my ROI is 3 and a bit years as the QNAP cost me £230. Just need to flog the Microserver on eBay.

One man's trash is another's treasure..someone will buy it on Gumtree or ebay etc
ChrisKaru09/12/2019 06:54

I echo this. Just moved from my HP Microserver Gen8 running Xpenlogy …I echo this. Just moved from my HP Microserver Gen8 running Xpenlogy (Synology) to QNAP TS328. Having a smart meter installed recently made me aware of the power usage. Gone from 68W down to 17W an hour for the same 3No WD Red drives. Considering this is on 24/7 will get my money back in the long run. It common knowledge both QNAP and Synology make the best NAS devices and their software is well supported by third parties. QNAP is usually a bit cheaper so worth checking them out.

Thanks, great to share facts on wattage and energy cost etc
Bingstroller08/12/2019 21:09

Likewise, have 3 scattered around the house. Belkin for desktop but have …Likewise, have 3 scattered around the house. Belkin for desktop but have Cyberpower for the other 2, (like the convenience of the LCD Display!)

Cyberpower looks premium. Need to find models that provide day couple of hours backup, so if power cut the camera and alarm etc stay active.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions