NAS - Synology DS216J or WD Ultra EX2

Found 22nd May 2017
I'm looking for a budget NAS with 2 x 2TB HDD that supports Raid 1.

It doesn't need to be fancy, but needs to have reasonable read/write speeds.

I'm ideally looking at <£300, so I know this won't get me an all singing, all dancing on. I have so far seen the Synology DS16J enclosure, which if I add 2x 2TB WD Red HDD to is about £300 from Amazon or the WD Ultra EX2 4TB (already populated with 2x 2TB WD Reds) for about £260, also from Amazon.

Thoughts on which of these (or other) is the better product would be much appreciated please.

Community Updates
I've got the 216 and can thoroughly recommend
Original Poster
Thanks for the 2 votes so far. I've no idea why it's not letting me 'like' your posts, but thanks for your input.:)
Also got the 216j and its excellent. Running 2x 1tb red drives.
Synology - trust us, just do it!

I have a DS214Play with a couple of 2TB WD Reds and also an old DS213J as a remote backup and they are both great.
There's bound to be many things you'll find yourself using on Synology NAS over the WD one.
+1 for Synology

Been using their NAS boxes with clients for years. Their software interface is really really good and the apps/add-on packages make their NAS boxes infinitely useful.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 22nd May 2017
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all. I've gone for the Synology as it seems to be a resounding thumbs up for that one. You've all been a huge help
Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Merchants