NAS - Synology DS216J or WD Ultra EX2

LocalFound 22nd May 2017
I'm looking for a budget NAS with 2 x 2TB HDD that supports Raid 1.

It doesn't need to be fancy, but needs to have reasonable read/write speeds.

I'm ideally looking at <£300, so I know this won't get me an all singing, all dancing on. I have so far seen the Synology DS16J enclosure, which if I add 2x 2TB WD Red HDD to is about £300 from Amazon or the WD Ultra EX2 4TB (already populated with 2x 2TB WD Reds) for about £260, also from Amazon.

Thoughts on which of these (or other) is the better product would be much appreciated please.

TIA
Community Updates
8 Comments
Synology
I've got the 216 and can thoroughly recommend
Original Poster
Thanks for the 2 votes so far. I've no idea why it's not letting me 'like' your posts, but thanks for your input.:)
Also got the 216j and its excellent. Running 2x 1tb red drives.
Synology - trust us, just do it!

I have a DS214Play with a couple of 2TB WD Reds and also an old DS213J as a remote backup and they are both great.
Synology.
There's bound to be many things you'll find yourself using on Synology NAS over the WD one.
+1 for Synology

Been using their NAS boxes with clients for years. Their software interface is really really good and the apps/add-on packages make their NAS boxes infinitely useful.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 22nd May 2017
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback all. I've gone for the Synology as it seems to be a resounding thumbs up for that one. You've all been a huge help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants