Groups

NAT PROBLEMS

Hi

basically im playing halo atm and cant party up with some people.

It says "moderate NAT" although dmz is on?

37 Comments

Can you plug your modem directly into your xbox?

Original Poster

datz a long ting , i gota make the wire go accross the room.

yeah brah trust betta.. i know its long but no more nat issues brah and much more stable connection.. u have to change your router settings otherwise because of the encryption settings and you run the risk of being less secure...and the connection will still be slower wirelessly...

Original Poster

,is it cos im on WPA?, let me see if my wire reaches lol.

yeah im sure that is why.

Original Poster

nah the one that comes with xbox is too short ima buy one

Original Poster

so shall i change it to wep?

Place your 360 outside the DMZ and assign it a static ip address there will be no security issue as what can you hack on a console or make sure ports are forwarded correctly on the router but that may open up your network for attack.

1.Go to your computer, and get to Network Connections. To do this, you will click on the start menu, and go to “My Network Places”. Once you get there, click on “view network connections” to the right in the Network tasks box. If your computer is hooked up directly to the router, you will be using the Local Area Network, and if you are wireless, you will be using the Wireless Area Network
    2.Right click on your connection, and then go to “Status.” If you are using XP, click the “Support” tab at the top. If you are running Vista, you will need to click the button that says “Details.”
    3.After you click on “Details” or “Support”, look for and copy down the Default Gateway, and the Subnet Mask. You will need this later.
    4.Close this out, and go to your 360 dashboard. Go to the system blade at the very end of the dashboard, and go to Network settings.
    5.Go down to Edit Settings. Change your IP address settings from Automatic to Manual.
    6.Depending on what your default gateway was, you may have different settings than mine.
    7.For IP Address, enter your default gateway. Instead of one digit for the last number, you will need to change it to something such as 109.
    8.Enter the Subnet Mask(default for most networks is 255.255.255.0) and Default Gateway in the boxes, and press OK.
    9.Now, run a test for Xbox Live. More than likely, you will end up failing the DNS check. This is alright, because we will take care of this in the next step.
    10.Go back to Network Settings, and then change your DNS settings to Manual. For primary DNS server, enter your default gateway.
    11.Run another Xbox Live test, and you should pass everything. However, your NAT will probably still be Strict or Moderate. If it is open, then you are done!
    12.Go back to your computer, and open up your browser. Type your default gateway into the address bar, and press enter. A username/password box should come up. .
    13.Once in, look for a link titles “Applications and Gaming” or something along the lines of that. Click it, and then find DMZ. Click it.
    14.Click the “Enable” radio button, and type in the last(4th) octet of your IP(octet1.octet2.octet3.octet4) Save your settings, and exit.
    15.Go back to your 360 dashboard, and run another Xbox Live test. If all went well, you should now have an open NAT! Give yourself a pat on the back, and dance around the room a couple times

Original Poster

polly69;6045796

Place your 360 outside the DMZ and assign it a static ip address there … Place your 360 outside the DMZ and assign it a static ip address there will be no security issue as what can you hack on a console or make sure ports are forwarded correctly on the router but that may open up your network for attack.1.Go to your computer, and get to Network Connections. To do this, you will click on the start menu, and go to “My Network Places”. Once you get there, click on “view network connections” to the right in the Network tasks box. If your computer is hooked up directly to the router, you will be using the Local Area Network, and if you are wireless, you will be using the Wireless Area Network2.Right click on your connection, and then go to “Status.” If you are using XP, click the “Support” tab at the top. If you are running Vista, you will need to click the button that says “Details.”3.After you click on “Details” or “Support”, look for and copy down the Default Gateway, and the Subnet Mask. You will need this later.4.Close this out, and go to your 360 dashboard. Go to the system blade at the very end of the dashboard, and go to Network settings.5.Go down to Edit Settings. Change your IP address settings from Automatic to Manual.6.Depending on what your default gateway was, you may have different settings than mine.7.For IP Address, enter your default gateway. Instead of one digit for the last number, you will need to change it to something such as 109.8.Enter the Subnet Mask(default for most networks is 255.255.255.0) and Default Gateway in the boxes, and press OK.9.Now, run a test for Xbox Live. More than likely, you will end up failing the DNS check. This is alright, because we will take care of this in the next step.10.Go back to Network Settings, and then change your DNS settings to Manual. For primary DNS server, enter your default gateway.11.Run another Xbox Live test, and you should pass everything. However, your NAT will probably still be Strict or Moderate. If it is open, then you are done!12.Go back to your computer, and open up your browser. Type your default gateway into the address bar, and press enter. A username/password box should come up. .13.Once in, look for a link titles “Applications and Gaming” or something along the lines of that. Click it, and then find DMZ. Click it.14.Click the “Enable” radio button, and type in the last(4th) octet of your IP(octet1.octet2.octet3.octet4) Save your settings, and exit.15.Go back to your 360 dashboard, and run another Xbox Live test. If all went well, you should now have an open NAT! Give yourself a pat on the back, and dance around the room a couple times

thank tried those exact steps and failed. :-(

i think it could be my ISP

MarzBarz;6045846

thank tried those exact steps and failed. :-(i think it could be my ISP

Are you with virgin if you are is it the netgear router because its a known issue ive had some issues myself with it connecting a Wii wirelessly with to hack it i ended up using my belkin router and it connected straight away.

The problem is the ports are not forwarded correctly but if you place your 360 outside the DMZ it should be fine.

Original Poster

polly69;6045875

Are you with virgin if you are is it the netgear router because i had … Are you with virgin if you are is it the netgear router because i had some issues connecting a Wii wirelessly with to hack it i ended up using my belkin router and it connected straight away.

I thought that said are you a virgin lool.

Nah im with exclipse internet and ive got a different router it D-LINK g624 or sumfing

instructions here that will sort it for your router for live

portforward.com/eng…htm

Original Poster

Name Private IP Protocol Type Schedule
    Virtual Server FTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 21/21 Always
    Virtual Server HTTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 80/80 Always
    Virtual Server HTTPS 0.0.0.0 TCP 443/443 Always
    Virtual Server DNS 0.0.0.0 UDP 53/53 Always
    Virtual Server SMTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 25/25 Always
    Virtual Server POP3 0.0.0.0 TCP 110/110 Always
    Virtual Server Telnet 0.0.0.0 TCP 23/23 Always
    IPSec 0.0.0.0 UDP 500/500 Always
    PPTP 0.0.0.0 TCP 1723/1723 Always
    NetMeeting 0.0.0.0 TCP 1720/1720 Always
    DCS-1000 0.0.0.0 TCP 80/80 Always
    DCS-2000 0.0.0.0 TCP 80/80 Always
    DVC-1000 0.0.0.0 TCP 1720/1720 Always
    Halo 3 192.168.1.1 Both 80/80 Always
    Halo 2 192.168.1.1 Both 2302/2302 Always
    halo 1 192.168.1.1 TCP 2303/2303 Always

Ive got all these already

MarzBarz;6045904

I thought that said are you a virgin lool.Nah im with exclipse internet … I thought that said are you a virgin lool.Nah im with exclipse internet and ive got a different router it D-LINK g624 or sumfing

eclispe internet sucks bigtime, used to be with them myself.
    now on 02 happy days. :thumbsup:

MarzBarz;6045755

so shall i change it to wep?

sry I missed this ... been in photo thread...I have a ps3 and changing to wep helped a little but not a lot... best /easiest solution for me is wired connection directly from modem.

Original Poster

esq3585;6045973

eclispe internet sucks bigtime, used to be with them myself.now on 02 … eclispe internet sucks bigtime, used to be with them myself.now on 02 happy days. :thumbsup:

lol i know, but my mum wont change, she thinks there "good", they keep capping my downloads bast***.

Original Poster

Xiwt;6045976

sry I missed this ... been in photo thread...I have a ps3 and changing to … sry I missed this ... been in photo thread...I have a ps3 and changing to wep helped a little but not a lot... best /easiest solution for me is wired connection directly from modem.

ayt ima buy a 15metre cable.

MarzBarz;6045982

ne boom tingz? lolayt ima buy a 15metre cable.

you could try wep though for now ... i mean it did give me a different NAT type on the PS3 compared to WPA2.

192.168.1.1 is this your router address? because your 360 address should be the address I.E 360 192.168.1.2 then your home PCs should be .3 .4 and so on. Whats the static ip address you've given the 360 as the ports need opening and forwarding to the 360 address.192.168.1.1 is usually the stock address given to a new router.

If i where you i would disable all security on the router if it then works you know its not your ISP but router config problem.

I know some Dlink routers have issues tours might be one if it is check for a firmware update for the router

Xiwt;6045991

you could try wep though for now ... i mean it did give me a different … you could try wep though for now ... i mean it did give me a different NAT type on the PS3 compared to WPA2.

WEP can be hacked within minutes with free tools off the net a better solution would be MAC address filtering and then turn your encryption down to WEP or off. If you only a have a few clients all you need to do is add the MAC addresses to the filter then unless the addresses are in the allow list they cant connect and also disable SSID broadcast if this is off no one apart from you and people who you tell will know your network exists as they wont see your network when they look for available networks.

Original Poster

polly69;6046222

192.168.1.1 is this your router address? because your 360 address should … 192.168.1.1 is this your router address? because your 360 address should be the address I.E 360 192.168.1.2 then your home PCs should be .3 .4 and so on. Whats the static ip address you've given the 360 as the ports need opening and forwarding to the 360 address.192.168.1.1 is usually the stock address given to a new router.If i where you i would disable all security on the router if it then works you know its not your ISP but router config problem.I know some Dlink routers have issues tours might be one if it is check for a firmware update for the router

ah yeh its my router address, so shall i change them all to 1.2?

Original Poster

btw thanks alot of this help i appreciate it. Both fo you.

think of a street and how the houses have numbers,
    ip addressing is the same all houses(machines) need different numbers otherwise the postie is fecked
    so router -=192.168.1.1,
    pc = 192.168.1.2
    xbox = 192.168.1.3
    get the idea?

polly69;6046263

WEP can be hacked within minutes with free tools off the net a better … WEP can be hacked within minutes with free tools off the net a better solution would be MAC address filtering and then turn your encryption down to WEP or off. If you only a have a few clients all you need to do is add the MAC addresses to the filter then unless the addresses are in the allow list they cant connect and also disable SSID broadcast if this is off no one apart from you and people who you tell will know your network exists as they wont see your network when they look for available networks.

yes you are right about WEP not being very secure at all... with MAC address filtering I was just wondering if you turn encryption off though isn't that a bit of a risk since a hacker could capture and easily interpret the packets being sent with a wireless sniffer as they are not encrypted and you are still transmitting wirelessly...

Xiwt;6048690

yes you are right about WEP not being very secure at all... with MAC … yes you are right about WEP not being very secure at all... with MAC address filtering I was just wondering if you turn encryption off though isn't that a bit of a risk since a hacker could capture and easily interpret the packets being sent with a wireless sniffer as they are not encrypted and you are still transmitting wirelessly...

Absolutely, the beacon and probe frame packets will contain MAC address info and its really easy to spoof MAC addresses.

Xiwt;6048690

yes you are right about WEP not being very secure at all... with MAC … yes you are right about WEP not being very secure at all... with MAC address filtering I was just wondering if you turn encryption off though isn't that a bit of a risk since a hacker could capture and easily interpret the packets being sent with a wireless sniffer as they are not encrypted and you are still transmitting wirelessly...

not really an issue if only the xbox is using the wifi connection tho.

Original Poster

maddogb;6046908

think of a street and how the houses have numbers, ip addressing is the … think of a street and how the houses have numbers, ip addressing is the same all houses(machines) need different numbers otherwise the postie is fecked ;)so router -=192.168.1.1, pc = 192.168.1.2xbox = 192.168.1.3get the idea?

ohh right, so the xbox 360 192.168.1.3?

MarzBarz;6048768

ohh right, so the xbox 360 192.168.1.3?

You can put your xbox to any unused address between 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.254.
    To make sure it's going to be unused, just ping a high random address, eg 192.168.1.144 and then assuming it comes back with no reply then you can safely set your xbox to use that address.

here are the ports i have open for live
    support.microsoft.com/kb/…874
    * TCP 80
    * UDP 88
    * UDP 3074
    * TCP 3074
    * UDP 53
    * TCP 53

maddogb;6048742

not really an issue if only the xbox is using the wifi connection tho.

eh?, I don't see your point, sticky MACs is worse than WEP, the number of wifi clients doesn't denote any kind of security

Original Poster

Ok guys so im gona be a 15m ethernet cable. Question is will this defo fix my problem?

Alfonse;6048956

eh?, I don't see your point, sticky MACs is worse than WEP, the number of … eh?, I don't see your point, sticky MACs is worse than WEP, the number of wifi clients doesn't denote any kind of security

what i meant was its unlikely to be an issue being hacked, its not like he will be sending any data of value from the xbox so even wep would probably be overkill no?

MarzBarz;6052793

Ok guys so im gona be a 15m ethernet cable. Question is will this defo … Ok guys so im gona be a 15m ethernet cable. Question is will this defo fix my problem?

No, my connection is wired but I have a moderate NAT. the static ip/port forwarding method should fix problems.

maddogb;6053153

what i meant was its unlikely to be an issue being hacked, its not like … what i meant was its unlikely to be an issue being hacked, its not like he will be sending any data of value from the xbox so even wep would probably be overkill no?

its not the data from the xbox, it would be the use of the Broadband connection that would at threat.

Alfonse;6054253

its not the data from the xbox, it would be the use of the Broadband … its not the data from the xbox, it would be the use of the Broadband connection that would at threat.

good point, one i rarely think of because i would notice anyone sitting outside my house with a laptop due to the thick stone walls they would have to be right outside lol

Alfonse;6048739

Absolutely, the beacon and probe frame packets will contain MAC address … Absolutely, the beacon and probe frame packets will contain MAC address info and its really easy to spoof MAC addresses.

Thanks Alfonse ... again!

MarzBarz;6052793

Ok guys so im gona be a 15m ethernet cable. Question is will this defo … Ok guys so im gona be a 15m ethernet cable. Question is will this defo fix my problem?

I'm 99% sure it will (going by my own experience) if you wire it direct from the modem.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764575
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3011061
      3. What is there free to do in your town?1116
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?33180

See more discussions