National Insurance contributions caution

Posted 26th NovEdited by:"maddogb"
After a rough personal time the last few years i thought i had better
check on my NI contributions record and pay up any i had missed.
During this process i was very surprised to learn that many years ago during
changeover of jobs i had left it a few weeks between( sort of extra
holiday as reward for getting the new job combined with time to prepare)
This completely ruins the year for NI contributions, only full years count,
so the ones where i had 49wks or 50 wks do not mean anything and it is
now to late to pay the extra few weeks, seems another government
scam...they really should warn people about this....
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

11 Comments
deleted1471098
No this is normal, sometimes there is the option to buy additional years if you are lacking the amount needed. When in between jobs it’s your responsibility to sign on even if it’s just to get your ni stamp.

I had a period of 7 weeks between jobs about 10 years ago but because I registered at the job centre for those weeks I have a full ni year.
Edited by: "deleted1471098" 26th Nov
deleted147109826/11/2019 14:20

No this is normal, sometimes there is the option to buy additional years …No this is normal, sometimes there is the option to buy additional years if you are lacking the amount needed. When in between jobs it’s your responsibility to sign on even if it’s just to get your ni stamp.I had a period of 7 weeks between jobs about 10 years ago but because I registered at the job centre for those weeks I have a full ni year.

Your example does not fit, even 20 years ago they would not allow you to sign on unless you were unemployed and looking for work, i was neither as indicated in the OP
It is not about being normal it's about them not telling anyone how critical a couple of weeks contributions can be, especially now they have upped the amount of years contributions we need again.
deleted1471098
maddogb26/11/2019 14:39

Your example does not fit, even 20 years ago they would not allow you to …Your example does not fit, even 20 years ago they would not allow you to sign on unless you were unemployed and looking for work, i was neither as indicated in the OPIt is not about being normal it's about them not telling anyone how critical a couple of weeks contributions can be, especially now they have upped the amount of years contributions we need again.

It’s always been critical, and my example was a gap between two jobs, signing on isn’t just about getting dole money, it’s your ni too.

I have 20 full years which takes me back to when I was 16 and started work.
deleted147109826/11/2019 14:43

It’s always been critical, and my example was a gap between two jobs, s …It’s always been critical, and my example was a gap between two jobs, signing on isn’t just about getting dole money, it’s your ni too.I have 20 full years which takes me back to when I was 16 and started work.

not sure what you are on about, it may have always been critical but my point was there is no logic to why it is so with such a limited opportunity to recover.
As for signing on, again when my wife was ill they would not let me sign on unless i fulfilled the criteria of being available for work so either you are mistaken or the job centre staff have lied to me on several occasions over the last twenty years.
Edited by: "maddogb" 26th Nov
deleted1471098
maddogb26/11/2019 14:46

not sure what you are on about, it may have always been critical but my …not sure what you are on about, it may have always been critical but my point was there is no logic to why it is so with such a limited opportunity to recover.As for signing on, again when my wife was ill they would not let me sign on unless i fulfilled the criteria of being available for work so either you are mistaken or the job centre staff have lied to me on several occasions over the last twenty years.

If you aren’t working you are available for work unless you choose not to be. You clearly chose not to be so that’s why you missed out.
How old are you and how many years do you have and when do you want to retire. I’m the same with a few close but missing years but I’ve a good 25 years left to work and only need ni contributions for 12 more years for max so I don’t need to worry about those close years.
toonsquirel26/11/2019 15:07

How old are you and how many years do you have and when do you want to …How old are you and how many years do you have and when do you want to retire. I’m the same with a few close but missing years but I’ve a good 25 years left to work and only need ni contributions for 12 more years for max so I don’t need to worry about those close years.

Whilst still a good few years from retirement the raising of the limit left me with 1 year left to spare where i could not make contributions without it affecting my pension, this was a bit too close for comfort having lost 5 years recently due to the loss of my wife.
The point of the post is you can never know what is in your future, losing some years can come out of the blue not matter how much time you have left and therefore it should really be more clear to people and the NI/HMRC should be actively reminding/chasing people about contributions shortfalls which can be recovered within the allowed time frame, had they contacted me back then i would have written a check to cover it.
deleted147109826/11/2019 14:51

If you aren’t working you are available for work unless you choose not to b …If you aren’t working you are available for work unless you choose not to be. You clearly chose not to be so that’s why you missed out.

actually again no, you must be available to work with no restrictions, i insisted i could not work in my usual role as that involved travelling distances and i did not want to be caught 150 miles away form home whilst my wife was going through chemo.
deleted1471098
maddogb26/11/2019 19:23

actually again no, you must be available to work with no restrictions, i …actually again no, you must be available to work with no restrictions, i insisted i could not work in my usual role as that involved travelling distances and i did not want to be caught 150 miles away form home whilst my wife was going through chemo.

Exactly my point, you chose not to be available due to your circumstances. That means no claim and no stamp = gap in ni contribution.

I signed on for those 6 weeks and got dole and stamp = no gap.
So what happens if you miss ni contributions?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions