Posted 20th Dec 2021
Hubby got given a scratch card and we have won £2

It states on the card that I can collect the winning at any national lottery retailer so I plan to do this when I go to tesco this afternoon.

Do I need to bring ID or anything to claim the £2?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
40 Comments
  1. Avatar
    No. Just yourself and the card congratulations
  2. Avatar
    Author
    nintendofan1020/12/2021 12:17

No. Just yourself and the card congratulations

there is a section at the back of the card, which asks for your name, address and signature.

do i have to complete that? or is that only for higher winnings amounts?
  3. Avatar
    All they do is scan the barcode and give you your £2
  4. Avatar
    Author
    sm969020/12/2021 12:25

All they do is scan the barcode and give you your £2

thank you
  5. Avatar
    Author
    Chiptivo20/12/2021 12:39

Comment deleted

thanks. i am over 18, lol, but in that case, i will bring ID with me just in case
  6. Avatar
    Surely you're going to get another two
  7. Avatar
    Only if your husband had paid with a nicked debit card!
  8. Avatar
    Author
    bwanakuba20/12/2021 12:46

yeah, i read that story. so was thinking if i had to bring proof of purchase or something like that
  9. Avatar
    You might need to take some security guys with you as it’s a large amount
  10. Avatar
    Always take ID. I once won £30 but when they entered the number they entered it wrong by 1 digit and it came up I won £750 I didn't have any ID and asked why I needed it. They told me for anything over £500 they require ID and cos I looked confused they asked how much I though I'd won. She then re types the number to find it was £30. If I had ID I'd have had £750
  11. Avatar
    bwanakuba20/12/2021 12:46

Thank you @Blurryface and OP for liking my comment above. Another equally funny comment related to this was unfortunately removed by the mods. It was quite innocuous and you would have liked it! Never fear, eh!
  12. Avatar
    Crazy that someone reported my useful comment and the mods deleted it.
    Very odd site...
  13. Avatar
    I didn't actually know that children can't buy scratch cards! lol
    @mutley1 .. and I thought you knew everything looking at your numerous interesting contributions on HUKD.
  14. Avatar
    Author
    bwanakuba20/12/2021 15:17

I didn't actually know that children can't buy scratch cards! lol@mutley1 …I didn't actually know that children can't buy scratch cards! lol@mutley1 .. and I thought you knew everything looking at your numerous interesting contributions on HUKD.

if i knew everything, i wouldn't be asking so many questions!
  15. Avatar
    mutley120/12/2021 15:22

if i knew everything, i wouldn't be asking so many questions!

I was praising you 💐
  16. Avatar
    Author
    bwanakuba20/12/2021 15:24

I was praising you 💐

i have never bought a scratch card before so didn't know you had to be over 18 to buy one.

i guess because it is gambling but you don't have to be over 18 to play on the betting machines in an arcade, like those ones at the seaside.
  17. Avatar
    And you can join the Army at 16 but can't gamble until 18. Although you can't serve in operations until 18, but still...

@mutley1 look what you started for just £2
    Edited by: "bozo007" 20th Dec
  18. Avatar
    mutley120/12/2021 15:26

i have never bought a scratch card before so didn't know you had to be …i have never bought a scratch card before so didn't know you had to be over 18 to buy one. i guess because it is gambling but you don't have to be over 18 to play on the betting machines in an arcade, like those ones at the seaside.

There were pretty small payout limits and limits on the cost per spin/play on the fruit machines and other gambling machines in the arcades when I was a kid, to comply with gambling laws.

Some of the arcades here paid out tokens if the jackpot was over about a quid, which in theory could usually only be exchanged for stuffed toys and the like, although in practice the only option they normally offered was to put them back in the machines and hope to win small jackpots in cash. I think I was told due to their lack of licencing, but it may just have been their own policy.

Their gambling machines were also required to have am element of skill to avoid strict licencing rules, hence Nudge and hold buttons on the fruit machines.

I think gambling rules are actually being tightened up for youngsters.
    Edited by: "melted" 20th Dec
  19. Avatar
    don't spend it all at once
  20. Avatar
    Author
    bozo00720/12/2021 16:33

And you can join the Army at 16 but can't gamble until 18. Although you …And you can join the Army at 16 but can't gamble until 18. Although you can't serve in operations until 18, but still...@mutley1 look what you started for just £2

joining the army is considered a good thing, whereas gambling is not so. therefore i do understand why they have this law as they want to delay the vices until you are of age.
  21. Avatar
    Author
    melted20/12/2021 16:51

There were pretty small payout limits and limits on the cost per spin/play …There were pretty small payout limits and limits on the cost per spin/play on the fruit machines and other gambling machines in the arcades when I was a kid, to comply with gambling laws. Some of the arcades here paid out tokens if the jackpot was over about a quid, which in theory could usually only be exchanged for stuffed toys and the like, although in practice the only option they normally offered was to put them back in the machines and hope to win small jackpots in cash. I think I was told due to their lack of licencing, but it may just have been their own policy. Their gambling machines were also required to have am element of skill to avoid strict licencing rules, hence Nudge and hold buttons on the fruit machines.I think gambling rules are actually being tightened up for youngsters.

when i was a kid, i used to love the machines at the seasdie arcade. i still like walking around them now as an adult, although i have now learnt not to put any money into them.

but when i was a kid and knew no better, i would easily lose £20 to £30 on the machines, where you put in coins and wait for some to come out. there is no limit on how many coins you can put in.

and the horse races machine, where you can put in 20p or 50p coins and bet on the winning horse, those little plastic ones with the jockeys on them that look like little toys.

if they are not allowing children to buy scratch cards, then they also need to look at these arcade machines.
  22. Avatar
    mutley120/12/2021 17:25

when i was a kid, i used to love the machines at the seasdie arcade. i …when i was a kid, i used to love the machines at the seasdie arcade. i still like walking around them now as an adult, although i have now learnt not to put any money into them.but when i was a kid and knew no better, i would easily lose £20 to £30 on the machines, where you put in coins and wait for some to come out. there is no limit on how many coins you can put in. and the horse races machine, where you can put in 20p or 50p coins and bet on the winning horse, those little plastic ones with the jockeys on them that look like little toys.if they are not allowing children to buy scratch cards, then they also need to look at these arcade machines.

I used to like playing the mechanical one arm bandits, the computerised ones with nudge, hold and other features were a novelty when they came out, but after loosing a few quid on them, I lost interest in them and stuck with playing pinball and video games, mainly ones I could get half an hour or mores play out of for just 10p.

I did particularly like playing the vintage wooden machines with a metal spiral in them, both because they were fun to play and with a little practice you could keep winning until they ran out of money
  23. Avatar
    Wow.... Long thread over winning a £2 scratchcard
  24. Avatar
    No mutely you need to take all your family instead
  25. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9020/12/2021 14:17

Always take ID. I once won £30 but when they entered the number they …Always take ID. I once won £30 but when they entered the number they entered it wrong by 1 digit and it came up I won £750 I didn't have any ID and asked why I needed it. They told me for anything over £500 they require ID and cos I looked confused they asked how much I though I'd won. She then re types the number to find it was £30. If I had ID I'd have had £750

I don't believe this to be the case. The lottery terminal will only accept the 4 numbers in the box and any variation will give a rejected number alert. It most certainly will not change a winning amount dependant on which 4 digits you enter in to the terminal.
  26. Avatar
    Well the woman at the post office put my numbers in then asked what she asked, and then when she re entered the numbers the correct amount came up. I don't know how they work but that's what happened. I asked if that meant they know the numbers for a winning ticket and they refused to tell me what had happened, so I don't know. All i know is if I had, had ID i would have got £750 not £30
  27. Avatar
    I need to show ID for decent wins, usually £30+, or when I have a bunch of winning scratchcards to hand in all at once. Usually when I win small amounts like £2, £5, £10 or £20 I just hand it in and they give me the cash.
    Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 20th Dec
  28. Avatar
    Chiptivo20/12/2021 13:44

Comment deleted

Why are your comments irrelevant to the thread? No wonder so many have been removed by admin

It’s only £2, not triple figures
  29. Avatar
    Misslovely20/12/2021 20:50

Why are your comments irrelevant to the thread? No wonder so many have …Why are your comments irrelevant to the thread? No wonder so many have been removed by admin It’s only £2, not triple figures

Because the OP wanted to know about cashing in a Scratch Card. I saw that they were married, but she would still have to be over 18 to cash the card in.

wow, so concerning that people take a shopping forum so seriously.. Worse than mumsnet!
  30. Avatar
    MonkeyMan9020/12/2021 19:36

Well the woman at the post office put my numbers in then asked what she …Well the woman at the post office put my numbers in then asked what she asked, and then when she re entered the numbers the correct amount came up. I don't know how they work but that's what happened. I asked if that meant they know the numbers for a winning ticket and they refused to tell me what had happened, so I don't know. All i know is if I had, had ID i would have got £750 not £30

46478590-Q5GNw.jpgYou scan the long barcode at the back on the bottom of the scratchcard, then, you see the 4 numbers in the boxes to the right of the picture you enter them to validate the win. If the number is entered incorrectly it will display invalid-re enter numbers.
    So the only scenario I can see that fits yrs is any amount under £100 it will automatically print a pay out slip and this must be paid out as part of your ts&Cs (the pink one in the picture above) any amount over £100 will ask you if you want to pay out yes or no, (giving you leeway to send the person elsewhere that has the money to pay out) so I imagine if they were up to no good they could have entered the correct numbers, the screen is showing you have won £750 and asking the cashier if they would like to pay it out, if they've asked you what you think you've won and you've said £30 at that point, in theory, the could go to the terminal again and again enter correct number then press yes to pay out and give you £30 and pocket the rest.
    Always ask for the customer pink slip, each win produces 2, one to reconcile at the end of the day and the other that states customer copy.
    This is the only logical explanation I can get to, parents had a post office/shop and I know my way round a lottery machine. No way to produce 2 different winning amounts.
    I really hope that makes sense.
    Not attacking you just there's no way they have been honest with you.
  31. Avatar
    MrMaccieKFC20/12/2021 19:41

I need to show ID for decent wins, usually £30+, or when I have a bunch of …I need to show ID for decent wins, usually £30+, or when I have a bunch of winning scratchcards to hand in all at once. Usually when I win small amounts like £2, £5, £10 or £20 I just hand it in and they give me the cash.

I worked for Sainsbury's and processed lots of winning scratchcards and lottery tickets. The only time I asked for ID was when applying the think 25 policy if I suspected a person's age. It didn't matter how many tickets/cards they had that were winners. I've won between £60- £80 on a couple of occasions and never shown ID to collect my winnings. Other stores might be different but ID is normally for age-related products.
  32. Avatar
    Author
    fern3721/12/2021 00:50

I worked for Sainsbury's and processed lots of winning scratchcards and …I worked for Sainsbury's and processed lots of winning scratchcards and lottery tickets. The only time I asked for ID was when applying the think 25 policy if I suspected a person's age. It didn't matter how many tickets/cards they had that were winners. I've won between £60- £80 on a couple of occasions and never shown ID to collect my winnings. Other stores might be different but ID is normally for age-related products.

i don't understand the challenge 25. if you believe that someone is under 18, then why does it go to 25? i don't understand why you would need to show ID if you looked 24 for example? why not just keep it at 18?
  33. Avatar
    mutley121/12/2021 11:12

i don't understand the challenge 25. if you believe that someone is under …i don't understand the challenge 25. if you believe that someone is under 18, then why does it go to 25? i don't understand why you would need to show ID if you looked 24 for example? why not just keep it at 18?

It is to allow for a margin of error. Someone you think looks 18 could be 16.
  34. Avatar
    Author
    fattyflumpalump21/12/2021 15:56

It is to allow for a margin of error. Someone you think looks 18 could be …It is to allow for a margin of error. Someone you think looks 18 could be 16.

i see, that makes more sense.
  35. Avatar
    Chiptivo20/12/2021 20:55

Because the OP wanted to know about cashing in a Scratch Card. I saw that …Because the OP wanted to know about cashing in a Scratch Card. I saw that they were married, but she would still have to be over 18 to cash the card in. wow, so concerning that people take a shopping forum so seriously.. Worse than mumsnet!

18 or over.

36. Avatar
    fattyflumpalump21/12/2021 15:56

It is to allow for a margin of error. Someone you think looks 18 could be …It is to allow for a margin of error. Someone you think looks 18 could be 16.

Fallen for that in a nightclub before!
  37. Avatar
    MrMaccieKFC20/12/2021 19:41

I need to show ID for decent wins, usually £30+, or when I have a bunch of …I need to show ID for decent wins, usually £30+, or when I have a bunch of winning scratchcards to hand in all at once. Usually when I win small amounts like £2, £5, £10 or £20 I just hand it in and they give me the cash.

Who on earth are these people asking for ID to pay out £30+ on a scratchcard? I've never experienced this in my life. Are you talking about post office or a normal lottery retailer?

There's no reason to check ID other than verifying age.
  38. Avatar
    Author
    itchyone22/12/2021 10:47

Who on earth are these people asking for ID to pay out £30+ on a …Who on earth are these people asking for ID to pay out £30+ on a scratchcard? I've never experienced this in my life. Are you talking about post office or a normal lottery retailer?There's no reason to check ID other than verifying age.

is it because they worry you stole the scratchcard? so if you gave them ID, at least it stops people being so brazen?

this was why I did wonder if i had to bring ID as they may ask for my details, which i saw at the back of the card, but someone said it was for postal claims and not store claims.

any how, i went to my local tesco yesterday to claim the winning and the lady went to the lottery till, probably to scan the bar code as someone had mentioned, then she came back and gave me the £2. no ID asked, but I brought it just in case anyway
Post a comment
Top Merchants