National shortage of Hot Pepper Sauce?

60 replies
Found 16th Feb 2010
I'm a BIG Encona West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce fan but lately I can't seem to find it anywhere.

The missus usually buys it in Home Bargains but they've not had any for weeks. I tried the Co-op and they seemed to have removed it from the shelf, there's no longer a price label, and something else is now in it's place.

She's tried Morrison's, Asda and Tesco's and none of them have had it in for weeks either. Out of all the above shops Tesco are the only ones to still have the price label on the shelf.

I know there's a lot a hot pepper lovers on the forum so is anyone else having trouble getting any? Is there some kind of shortage of even worse have they gone out of business or something?

1. Misc
  2. Sauces
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Sauces
60 Comments

Original Poster

This is the stuff
http://narkiewiczabroad.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/hot-pepper.jpg

plenty round our way

Banned

National shortage? quick. someone tell the Daily Mail!

Its been stolen by this man.......

http://www.trendspot.ie/blog/wp-content/uploads/levi_roots_reggae_reggae_sauce.jpg

Original Poster

It's really getting to me man! Spag bol and tacos haven't tasted the same in weeks! Had chicken burgers tonight with just mayo. It's turning into a crisis! :x

Original Poster

Carley;7864163

is this stuff the reason why you're on the bog all the time?

:thumbsup:

Banned

Taksim_Red;7864179

It's really getting to me man! Spag bol and tacos haven't tasted the same … It's really getting to me man! Spag bol and tacos haven't tasted the same in weeks! Had chicken burgers tonight with just mayo. It's turning into a crisis! :x

Have to go back to Worcestershire sauce!

I put about half a bottle onto couple of breasts of chicken once

BAD times

lol I can normally take spice....but I had to have my tongue under the tap for at least 5 minutes lmao

i find this sauce quite mild, nice on a cheese and ham sandwich

Banned

numptyj;7864295

I put about half a bottle onto couple of breasts of chicken onceBAD times … I put about half a bottle onto couple of breasts of chicken onceBAD times lol I can normally take spice....but I had to have my tongue under the tap for at least 5 minutes lmao

Could of been worse, the couple of breasts might not have been chicken ;-)

i got this sauce last week from sainsbury's!! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

shanecr;7864346

i find this sauce quite mild, nice on a cheese and ham sandwich

It certainly is compared to the 5 million scoville version of Mad Dog 357. Had half a teaspoon of that in work once. Thought I could handle it with normally eating phall curries but it totally blew my head off!

Banned

this sauce - if you have it in burgers and stuff you cant tell its so hot

BUT

have it on your own or have it on chips (i mean proper covered)

and feel the toungue and ring STING!!

plenty ere r kid - where bouts you at?:

Taksim_Red;7864556

It certainly is compared to the 5 million scoville version of Mad Dog … It certainly is compared to the 5 million scoville version of Mad Dog 357. Had half a teaspoon of that in work once. Thought I could handle it with normally eating phall curries but it totally blew my head off!

and just where do you get that??

i find when it's too hot it takes the taste of your meal a way!

Banned

i agree - too hot is pointless cos you cant taste food - been there done that

i prefer the flavour now - refined tastes :-D

kapows;7864637

i agree - too hot is pointless cos you cant taste food - been there done … i agree - too hot is pointless cos you cant taste food - been there done thati prefer the flavour now - refined tastes :-D

thank god..someone agree's lol..:-D

Taksim_Red;7864556

It certainly is compared to the 5 million scoville version of Mad Dog … It certainly is compared to the 5 million scoville version of Mad Dog 357. Had half a teaspoon of that in work once. Thought I could handle it with normally eating phall curries but it totally blew my head off!

thats insane lol. i reguarly use blairs ultra death sauce 800,000 Scoville and who dares burns 2nd assault 200,000 Scoville i think? but feels hotter than the blairs

Banned

Blueberry yumyum;7864703

thank god..someone agree's lol..:-D

we should have a chilli tasting night! :-D :gift:

I,ve bought one or two from here in my day. Dave's insanity sauce was my first. Blew my rocks off!

]http//ww…tml

Was shortage of Ham stock cubes and Fig Roll biscuits in recent years.

Shakey Mic;7864737

I,ve bought one or two from here in my day. Dave's insanity sauce was my … I,ve bought one or two from here in my day. Dave's insanity sauce was my first. Blew my rocks off!]http://www.chilefarm.co.uk/sauces.html

my first taste of proper HOT sauce was =Daves :thumbsup:

kapows;7864734

we should have a chilli tasting night! :-D :gift:

yeah..cool!....or should that be HOT!! :w00t: :-D

numptyj;7864295

I put about half a bottle onto couple of breasts of chicken onceBAD times … I put about half a bottle onto couple of breasts of chicken onceBAD times lol I can normally take spice....but I had to have my tongue under the tap for at least 5 minutes lmao

milk :thumbsup: spicy **** isnt water solvent, but it is lactic acid solvent lol

Banned

Blueberry yumyum;7864771

yeah..cool!....or should that be HOT!! :w00t: :-D

lol oh its gonna get HOT HOT HOTTTTT lol

too spicy? too hott? lolll! noted - chilli lover :-D

micoo;7864807

milk :thumbsup: spicy **** isnt water solvent, but it is lactic acid … milk :thumbsup: spicy **** isnt water solvent, but it is lactic acid solvent lol

what he says ^^^^ or a slice of buttered bread, yoghurt is good too.

kapows;7864820

lol oh its gonna get HOT HOT HOTTTTT loltoo spicy? too hott? lolll! noted … lol oh its gonna get HOT HOT HOTTTTT loltoo spicy? too hott? lolll! noted - chilli lover :-D

maybe you need somethin to cool you down! :oops: lmao..

yogurt is good for the tongue!

I used this stuff tonight!! WOW - I actually marinated the sliced chicken in it for an hour before the stir fry. I actually nearly DIED by the fumes......

Nice though!!

cw9652;7864893

I used this stuff tonight!! WOW - I actually marinated the sliced chicken … I used this stuff tonight!! WOW - I actually marinated the sliced chicken in it for an hour before the stir fry. I actually nearly DIED by the fumes......Nice though!!

hey chris!! :-D god im feeling hungry now...

glad you made it out alive!!! :-D

Original Poster

Blueberry yumyum;7864616

and just where do you get that??i find when it's too hot it takes the … and just where do you get that??i find when it's too hot it takes the taste of your meal a way!

My mate in work bought it somewhere on the internet for £29. Only a small bottle aswell. It's made from chilli crystals so is extremely concentrated stuff. There's an ordinary version of it that's about 600,000 scovilles but the one he got was a special edition weighing in at mega 5 million scovilles!

As I say I only had half a teaspoon of it. I wasn't expecting it to be quite as hot as it was! Totally burnt my gob off so I quickly downed a pint of milk and for some reason thought it was a good idea to eat a flapjack to try and soak it up a bit in my stomach. Half an hour later my guts had totally churned up and I spewed all over my desk! Was on Friday 13th Feb last year. Will always remember that one!

I ended up taking it home with me that weekend and put a tiny drop in a chicken madras just so I could conquer it. I eat the thing with my eyes watering like mad!

I know hot chilli sauces and stuff aren't to everyone's liking but it annoys me the way the range in supermarkets is so extremely limited. My gf has bought me sauces before like jalapeno relish and HP's "rather hot" chilli and lime sauce thinking I'd like them but they're not tasted any hotter than your run of the mill tomato ketchup.

I'm living in St. Helens Merseyside btw. (Scouser in semi exile!).

Blueberry yumyum;7864906

hey chris!! :-D god im feeling hungry now...glad you made it out … hey chris!! :-D god im feeling hungry now...glad you made it out alive!!! :-D

I have left overs - How far away from my house are you??

Seriously - I cooked for the boys for the footie. It was soo damn strange. The fumes were damn hot!!

Banned

Blueberry yumyum;7864863

maybe you need somethin to cool you down! :oops: lmao..yogurt is good … maybe you need somethin to cool you down! :oops: lmao..yogurt is good for the tongue!

yogurt eh? what else you got :-D juice? fruits? chocs? snacks? dvd? :-D

Banned

cw9652;7864920

I have left overs - How far away from my house are you??Seriously - I … I have left overs - How far away from my house are you??Seriously - I cooked for the boys for the footie. It was soo damn strange. The fumes were damn hot!!

cwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :-D

Taksim_Red;7864912

My mate in work bought it somewhere on the internet for £29. Only a small … My mate in work bought it somewhere on the internet for £29. Only a small bottle aswell. It's made from chilli crystals so is extremely concentrated stuff. There's an ordinary version of it that's about 600,000 scovilles but the one he got was a special edition weighing in at mega 5 million scovilles! As I say I only had half a teaspoon of it. I wasn't expecting it to be quite as hot as it was! Totally burnt my gob off so I quickly downed a pint of milk and for some reason thought it was a good idea to eat a flapjack to try and soak it up a bit in my stomach. Half an hour later my guts had totally churned up and I spewed all over my desk! Was on Friday 13th Feb last year. Will always remember that one!I ended up taking it home with me that weekend and put a tiny drop in a chicken madras just so I could conquer it. I eat the thing with my eyes watering like mad!I know hot chilli sauces and stuff aren't to everyone's liking but it annoys me the way the range in supermarkets is so extremely limited. My gf has bought me sauces before like jalapeno relish and HP's "rather hot" chilli and lime sauce thinking I'd like them but they're not tasted any hotter than your run of the mill tomato ketchup.I'm living in St. Helens Merseyside btw. (Scouser in semi exile!).

hey thanks for that taksim..i found your post very interesting,,,:thumbsup:
and quite amusing lol..the flapjack did it...:-D
im glad your ok after that episode..wow..must be very potent stuff: w00t:
perhaps the reasons supermarkets don't sell it maybe!! :w00t:
im in towd yorkshire!! :-D

kapows;7864946

cwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :-D

Kaaaaapppppppppooooooooowwwwwwwwwssssssssssssssssssss!!!! ;-)

cw9652;7864920

I have left overs - How far away from my house are you??Seriously - I … I have left overs - How far away from my house are you??Seriously - I cooked for the boys for the footie. It was soo damn strange. The fumes were damn hot!!

wow...that's too hot.. think i'l give that a chilli a miss then lol...i don't want to be knocked out...:w00t:

Banned

i is in the yorkshire too! west yorkshire!

Banned

tuff northerners lol

kapows;7864944

yogurt eh? what else you got :-D juice? fruits? chocs? snacks? dvd? :-D

i have all of those!!

kapows;7864946

cw9652;7864953

Kaaaaapppppppppooooooooowwwwwwwwwssssssssssssssssssss!!!! ;-)

aww,,,you two know each other!! :-D

Blueberry yumyum;7865015

wow...that's too hot.. think i'l give that a chilli a miss then lol...i … wow...that's too hot.. think i'l give that a chilli a miss then lol...i don't want to be knocked out...:w00t:

kapows;7865020

i is in the yorkshire too! west yorkshire!

I though you were from the South - You seem OK ;-)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition55506
    2. Free flights to Europe67
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1616
    4. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)33

See more discussions