Natwest automatically increasing overdraft limit without me asking.

Posted 11th Feb
So, I'll keep it short, my mother in law has banked with natwest for 20 years.
She's always had a basic account, always been on low income and never had savings. She's always lived on a week to week basis. Over the years she's been in and out of her overdraft and Natwest have been gradually putting this up without her ever asking for this service. She's now maxed out at £2500 and is unable to get out this situation. After speaking with the bank they have offered her a gesture of good will of £442 but my question is for any Natwest account holders... Have any of you also had your overdraft increased without ever asking for it?
I'm expecting all the comments like live within your means, your mother in law is at fault etc...
But I feel the bank has taken advantage of the situation. An overdraft should be means tested according to their policy and at no point did she have the means or income to cover the credit. She's 67, still having to work a manual job and actually missed out on receiving her pension at 60 by only 7 days.
Any advice would be appreciated
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
All she had to do was ask for it to be reduced. The £442 is a very generous offer. It most probably equates to the interest involved somewhere along the lines What I would do is ask the bank to freeze any further interest charges and get your mother in law to work out how much she can afford to pay each month. I would then ask the bank to reduce her overdraft by that much each month.
15 Comments
All she had to do was ask for it to be reduced. The £442 is a very generous offer. It most probably equates to the interest involved somewhere along the lines What I would do is ask the bank to freeze any further interest charges and get your mother in law to work out how much she can afford to pay each month. I would then ask the bank to reduce her overdraft by that much each month.
They are now supposed to write to you saying they are going to increase credit limits & give you the option of refusing same with credit & store cards.
That your mother has been taken advantage of is beyond dispute in the eyes of normal decent people. Lloyds did the same to my sister. Gave her an overdraft and mortgage massively beyond her means. It is abuse of a very nasty kind and devoted to profits before people.

CAB or a similar charity will help her get rid of this. In my sisters case, they settled for 10p in the £. Her credit rating was trashed but only for a few years. Then they lent to her again.

If its going to end in tears, beat the living whatsit out of the bank and complain the Ombudsman
Yes they keep doing it to me. I never use overdraft and they insist on keeping putting it up. If I tell them I want it at £0 they do it then a few months later they put it back up.
What a family of spongers.
Have you not a shred of shame?
It might be worth going to citizens advice or something and working out if she would get any benefits if she came out of work.
My mum ended up on income support I think it was as she never had enough national insurance. She was a few quid worse off per week than my dad who had worked every day for his life and git his pension.
Erudite12/02/2020 10:01

What a family of spongers.Have you not a shred of shame?

Wow. Just Wow.
Erudite12/02/2020 10:01

What a family of spongers.Have you not a shred of shame?

Not really, after she survived ovarian cancer and also lost her partner I feel she has always struggled. Apart from time off for the operation and grieving for her fiance she's always worked even on the minimum wage job that she's had.. But sorry you feel that way pal.
MonkeysUncle12/02/2020 09:56

Yes they keep doing it to me. I never use overdraft and they insist on …Yes they keep doing it to me. I never use overdraft and they insist on keeping putting it up. If I tell them I want it at £0 they do it then a few months later they put it back up.

Vote with your feet and switch and get £150 for doing it eg. First direct
She should have received her pension at age 65
chocci14/02/2020 06:44

She should have received her pension at age 65

She did, £162 per week. That's being used to help pay her debt where possible. And because its slightly higher that the 155 she misses out on any universal credit
mb02114/02/2020 05:10

Not really, after she survived ovarian cancer and also lost her partner I …Not really, after she survived ovarian cancer and also lost her partner I feel she has always struggled. Apart from time off for the operation and grieving for her fiance she's always worked even on the minimum wage job that she's had.. But sorry you feel that way pal.

she spent £2500 she didn't have, and now the expectation seems to be the bank should write it off?

appreciate the difficult situation but ultimately she spent the money so should repay it.
adamspencer9514/02/2020 18:06

she spent £2500 she didn't have, and now the expectation seems to be the …she spent £2500 she didn't have, and now the expectation seems to be the bank should write it off?appreciate the difficult situation but ultimately she spent the money so should repay it.

Think most of the 2500 are bank charges for the overdraft she never asked for.. Once she went in the charges and interest has compounded, so perhaps not entirely correct
mb02114/02/2020 21:58

Think most of the 2500 are bank charges for the overdraft she never asked …Think most of the 2500 are bank charges for the overdraft she never asked for.. Once she went in the charges and interest has compounded, so perhaps not entirely correct

granted

however, i also presume the offer from the bank of £442 will be the charges etc
adamspencer9514/02/2020 23:41

grantedhowever, i also presume the offer from the bank of £442 will be the …grantedhowever, i also presume the offer from the bank of £442 will be the charges etc

I have asked the bank to provide the statements for the last 10 years so we can get a good indication of the charges. The woman on the phone did say the offer was a gesture of good will and not a reflection of the charges, I will post on here once we know if anyone is actually interested how this pan's out.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants