Nearly 17 and no national insurance number...

Found 14th Jan 2013
Phoned the helplines 14 times this week alone, they're saying i've lost it -_- **** never sent it
Community Updates
MiscInsurance
17 Comments
Ask them to send it you again or give you a replacement card?
Ring the same number again - ask for a supervisor if they can't give it to you over the phone..

If you have no luck request everything they hold on you under FOI - dwp.gov.uk/fre…on/ (EDIT - By requesting this, every piece of data which they hold is linked to your NI number - so on at least one piece of paperwork, your NINO will be on there)

OR

Contact your local MP - They'll reply to you within 1 day of them receiving complaint from the MP..
Edited by: "Lucas_0224" 14th Jan 2013
I got it a few weeks before I turned 16. It wasn't a card one (although my friend a month older than me got a card version) just a letter with the number on it but I would just ring and ask for a supervisor like Lucas said!
Hey cant give it over phone there is a number for lost cards, they send u a form To fill in.
they did the same to me when i was 16 never got one till after i was 17 i rang and they sent new card but the snotty letter they sent blamed me for losing the first card and said you are only allowed to receive two cards in your lifetime regardless if you or they lost the first one
Sadly it's no longer a card, it's just a letter with the NI number on it. I'd love to see how people are supposed to keep that safe after a few years. Memorising the NI number is the only way.
tpol

Sadly it's no longer a card, it's just a letter with the NI number on it. … Sadly it's no longer a card, it's just a letter with the NI number on it. I'd love to see how people are supposed to keep that safe after a few years. Memorising the NI number is the only way.

Email it to yourself. Done.
"If you're between 16 and 20 years old and haven't received a National Insurance number contact the National Insurance Registrations Helpline on Tel 0845 915 7006 for advice. Lines are open 8.30 am to 5.00 pm Monday to Friday." .............. If that's what you have already called then try again but ask for a supervisor and tell them calmly that you definitely have never received one and can they please send it to you straight away.
There is a form for lost and forgotten NI numbers but it tells you specifically NOT to use that form if you are under 20 and haven't received your number.
Maybe you could ask a parent/guardian/teacher/tutor/possible employer/ etc. to be with you when you phone and then tell HMRC that you wish them to discuss the matter on your behalf. Sadly, the authorities don't always take young people as seriously or treat them respectfully as they should.
If you still get nowhere then ask your local councillor or MP to help, that'll shift them!
Good luck!!
hope you resolve issue soon..
pity they dont do cards anymore.

my ni number card arrived at our house for me and my sibling when we were around 6/7 yrs old (not kidding)..many moons ago.
so youve spoke to them 14 times and not asked them to give it to you yet?

lifes gonna be tough for you sunshine X)
if you have no NI number do you have to pay tax?
skellysgirl

if you have no NI number do you have to pay tax?

if you dont have a number you dont exist
My sister (just turned 16) got hers in the post before christmas but as far as I know it was just a piece of paper with the number on and no card
Not really sure why it ever needed to be on a card. My one is in a drawer somewhere because I don't want to bin it but don't want/need to carry it around.
deleted568030
This is one of lifes hard lessons, but once learned you'll never forget it!

Dealing with any civil service department is always going to be a total **** ache.

Trust me, I'm one of them. The staff who know what they are doing are leaving/retiring in droves and are replaced by agency staff who no one has the time to train.

The good news is once you do get you NI number you can get a part-time job (I guess you're in education) AND on every pay slip you'll fine you NI number!! Good Luck.
Contact your local MP. They should be able to sort it quickly over the phone or by writing to the DWP more formally,which will take longer but they will be able to sort it.
booky

This is one of lifes hard lessons, but once learned you'll never forget … This is one of lifes hard lessons, but once learned you'll never forget it! Dealing with any civil service department is always going to be a total **** ache.Trust me, I'm one of them. The staff who know what they are doing are leaving/retiring in droves and are replaced by agency staff who no one has the time to train.The good news is once you do get you NI number you can get a part-time job (I guess you're in education) AND on every pay slip you'll fine you NI number!! Good Luck.

I have to agree with you here i work in civil service too and all good staff in our office left on early release with pay outs I am one of the only experienced people left and ours are all nearly dead wood/agency or fixed term contracts. It is shocking !!!! and makes me evil to think the government dont care a damn. I feel for you op as i can imagine how frustrating it is for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants