Need 1TB SSD for less than her budget

Posted 3rd Oct
Please could you fine folks help me.

I haven't a clue which SSD to get to repair my aunt's laptop, whilst enabling the speed advantage over the current completely corrupt HDD.

I too need to find a Windows 10 installation disk or code to do a clean install.
She had £100.

Any constructive advice you can give me would be appreciated. Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
If the machine had a previous legitimate W10 installation it should (may?) auto-licence when reinstalled. Regardless, a W10 key is not required to run an installation complete with usual forced updates, patches, etc, it just means you can't have your fave cute cat pic as desktop.
Is 1TB storage an absolute necessity? Unlikely unless aunty has a huge media collection that is backed up somewhere and you are looking to reinstate. Otherwise even a lowly 120GB SSD will exceed the requirements for a web box.
It'll depend on the laptop, but unless it's a particularly small or thin machine it'll likely have a 2.5" HDD of either 7mm, 9.5mm or 12.5mm thickness. A 2.5" SSD will be a drop in replacement in terms of connectors but depending on the mounting system it may need a spacer.
As mentioned above if it was a legit version of Windows 10 on the laptop previously then it shouldn't ask for a key when you reinstall.

Also does she actually need 1TB? Normally 500GB is enough for most folk.
harlzter03/10/2019 23:10

Comment deleted

Thanks harlzter she is blind and is bedridden and she loves to listen to recordings of her family members from across the world repeatedly. I think it is one of the few pleasures she has and wanted to get this working for her again before she passed from this world. The surgeon has given her less than three months, so I want to make her last few weeks happy. She has dementia and fortunately is not aware (even though she has been told) her husband who was a ww2 hero passed away just last week.

I think the last thing on her mind is what you suggest, but thanks for your constructive advice.
1TB SSD 2.5" 2yr wty £82 uk.webuy.com/pro…iii
W10 is obtained from MS for £zero as per first post, fully functional with no obligation to buy / obtain / enter / consider a key.
AndyRoyd04/10/2019 03:34

1TB SSD 2.5" 2yr wty £82 …1TB SSD 2.5" 2yr wty £82 https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=shddspa551tb&categoryName=hard-drives-solid-state&superCatName=computing&title=silicon-power-a55-1tb-2.5"-sata-iiiW10 is obtained from MS for £zero as per first post, fully functional with no obligation to buy / obtain / enter / consider a key.

Thank you all for your positive direction. Much appreciated 😁
What is her existing PC?

Is it 2.5" sata you are after?
If it is 2.5" sata, i would get Crucial MX500

There are faster nvme m.2, but I don't know if your PC accept it.
If it take nvme, Crucial P1

Buy a Windows 10 key for £1.50 on Ebay
Get 500gb and then a 256gb usb drive
AndyRoyd04/10/2019 03:34

1TB SSD 2.5" 2yr wty £82 …1TB SSD 2.5" 2yr wty £82 https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail?id=shddspa551tb&categoryName=hard-drives-solid-state&superCatName=computing&title=silicon-power-a55-1tb-2.5"-sata-iiiW10 is obtained from MS for £zero as per first post, fully functional with no obligation to buy / obtain / enter / consider a key.

If £3 on eBay, there stolen keys most likely but really does not matter in 2019 Ms only check business
Thank you all for your rays of wisdom and advice. I ordered a 480gb SSD from Kingston for £48 and am going to get her to back up to a 256 usb.
Edited by: "Gopher42" 5th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants